DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   Transcend class 10 cards with GH2? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/490657-transcend-class-10-cards-gh2.html)

Brian Luce January 25th, 2011 12:44 AM

Transcend class 10 cards with GH2?

Anyone tried these? So far I've been using Panasonic Gold and Sandisk Extreme with great results but the Transcends are far cheaper.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/700166-REG/Transcend_TS8GSDHC10_8GB_SDHC_Card.html

Jim Forrest January 27th, 2011 08:36 AM

I use transcend class 10 cards and all work very well.

Evan Lloyd January 27th, 2011 11:21 AM

I use them as well. They work great.

John Wiley January 29th, 2011 10:10 PM

Class 10 is actually overkill.

Remember, the GH2 is limited to 24mpbs. It's not like the hacked GH1 or the 7d which go up to 45+ mpbs so you can get away with a much slower card. Class 6 should be more than enough and class 4 should be adequate.

Joe Ogiba January 31st, 2011 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Luce (Post 1611021)
Anyone tried these? So far I've been using Panasonic Gold and Sandisk Extreme with great results but the Transcends are far cheaper.

Transcend 8GB SDHC Card TS8GSDHC10 B&H Photo Video

I would rather pay a little more for a Panasonic Gold or Sandisk Extreme IMHO.

Panasonic 8GB SDHC Memory Card Class 10 in Secure Digital Memory Cards at JR.com

Brian Luce January 31st, 2011 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Ogiba (Post 1613122)
I would rather pay a little more for a Panasonic Gold or Sandisk Extreme IMHO.

Have you had a bad experience with Transcend?

Bill Bruner February 3rd, 2011 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Wiley (Post 1612780)
Class 10 is actually overkill.

Remember, the GH2 is limited to 24mpbs. It's not like the hacked GH1 or the 7d which go up to 45+ mpbs so you can get away with a much slower card. Class 6 should be more than enough and class 4 should be adequate.

You're right, John, but with a caveat. I agree that the less expensive Class 6 cards are fast enough for shooting GH2 video (unlike T2i video, which requires Class 10), but I have found transferring large video files to a backup drive from a Class 6 card to be painfully slow. So I use Class 10s for both cameras -- still a slog, but not as bad.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Luce (Post 1611021)

Transcend 8GB SDHC Card TS8GSDHC10 B&H Photo Video

Brian, my 16GB Class 10 is a Transcend and it has been reliable for the month I've been shooting with it.

Better price for the 8GB is from Amazon (lower cost when you consider free shipping):

Brian Luce February 3rd, 2011 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Bruner (Post 1614141)
Brian, my 16GB Class 10 is a Transcend and it has been reliable for the month I've been shooting with it.

Better price for the 8GB is from Amazon (lower cost when you consider free shipping):

Transcend 8 GB Class 10 SDHC Flash Memory Card TS8GSDHC10E from Amazon

I love that price. Are you familiar with the vendor? I don't know about Amazon, but ebay is allegedly rife with counterfeit cards.

Joe Ogiba February 3rd, 2011 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Luce (Post 1613191)
Have you had a bad experience with Transcend?

I don't have any Transcend cards but their user ratings are lower than Sandisk but not as bad as A-Data. If Transcend cards were the exact same quality as the Sandisk cards for a fraction of the price then why would anyone buy a Sandisk card ?

Brian Luce February 3rd, 2011 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Ogiba (Post 1614315)
If Transcend cards were the exact same quality as the Sandisk cards for a fraction of the price then why would anyone buy a Sandisk card ?

Because of marketing and branding which are often independent of quality.

Joe Ogiba February 4th, 2011 05:47 PM

"Because of marketing and branding which are often independent of quality. "

Like I said before Sandisk user ratings are not as bad as Trancend.
http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-Class-Flash-Memory-TS32GSDHC10E/product-reviews/B003VNKNF0/ref=cm_cr_pr_hist_1?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&filterBy=addOneStar
http://www.amazon.com/Sandisk-Extreme-SDHC-Cards-SDSDX3-032G-A31/product-reviews/B001TDL34Y/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1
"Although the price may seem right, the performance isn't. The Transcend 32GB Class 10 automatically stopped recording on the first full day of shooting using the Canon EOS 60D (the camera was NOT overheating). This is something an event shooter like myself cannot afford. I have been reading the blogs and have found this issue a common one, particularly with cheaper SDHC cards like Patriot and Transcend and even possibly counterfeit Sandisk Extremes sold through shady vendors (always buy direct from a trusted vendor). Why risk losing important footage that is your livelihood just to save [$] on one purchase? I've asked myself this question and have come to the conclusion that I'm sticking with Canon recommended Sandisk Extreme Class 10 SDHC cards only. I have an 8BG Sandisk Extreme Class 10 and have never had any issue. Bottom line: You get what you pay for. Cheap storage = cheap performance. This Transcend 32GB Class 10 is going into my Zoom H4n as it's new home, hopefully it can handle that!"
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/712659-REG/Transcend_TS32GSDHC10_32GB_SDHC_Card.html

Brian Luce February 4th, 2011 07:09 PM

Actually the card in question was the 8 gig, not the 32 gig, and Transcend and Sandisk have exactly the same 4.5 star Amazon rating -- which is a dubious metric anyhow.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Ogiba (Post 1614743)
"Because of marketing and branding which are often independent of quality. "

Like I said before Sandisk user ratings are not as bad as Trancend.
Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Transcend 32 GB Class 10 SDHC Flash Memory Card TS32GSDHC10E

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Sandisk 32 GB Extreme SDHC Cards (SDSDX3-032G-A31)

"Although the price may seem right, the performance isn't. The Transcend 32GB Class 10 automatically stopped recording on the first full day of shooting using the Canon EOS 60D (the camera was NOT overheating). This is something an event shooter like myself cannot afford. I have been reading the blogs and have found this issue a common one, particularly with cheaper SDHC cards like Patriot and Transcend and even possibly counterfeit Sandisk Extremes sold through shady vendors (always buy direct from a trusted vendor). Why risk losing important footage that is your livelihood just to save [$] on one purchase? I've asked myself this question and have come to the conclusion that I'm sticking with Canon recommended Sandisk Extreme Class 10 SDHC cards only. I have an 8BG Sandisk Extreme Class 10 and have never had any issue. Bottom line: You get what you pay for. Cheap storage = cheap performance. This Transcend 32GB Class 10 is going into my Zoom H4n as it's new home, hopefully it can handle that!"
Transcend 32GB SDHC Card TS32GSDHC10 B&H Photo Video

Jeff Harper February 9th, 2011 02:22 PM

Wait a minute!

I just ordered this card: SDSDRH032GA11 SanDisk 32GB Ultra Secure Digital High Capacity, SDHC, Memory Card, 15MB/Sec Read/Write Speed

I have no idea what class it is (not listed) it's 15mbps. Too slow for the GH2?

Brian Luce February 9th, 2011 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Harper (Post 1616255)
I just ordered this card: SDSDRH032GA11 SanDisk 32GB Ultra Secure Digital High Capacity, SDHC, Memory Card, 15MB/Sec Read/Write Speed

I have no idea what class it is (not listed) it's 15mbps. Too slow for the GH2?

I believe the GH2 only needs 6Mb/second, so you should be fine. A hacked GH1 might be different.

Btw, I do a lot of long takes because I work for musicians often and I prefer 8 gig, I used to use bigger cards but found 32 gigs a little big, hard to fill them up so I'd end keeping loads of footage, different projects, on a single card for weeks at a time. I'd worry that I'd crash the card and lose tons of footage. I like smaller sizes now because it's more of a film workflow and it's easier to cycle footage in and out of the hard drives and allows for more frequent formatting of cards. It just feels safer for me -- but I'm the nervous type anyway.

Jeff Harper February 9th, 2011 08:36 PM

Wrong card, way too slow.

I figured out it is a class 4 card, and it's already on the way. I can't believe I ordered the wrong card. the number 4inside a c was not clear enough for me, that is apparently a standard format for class labels. I hadn't bought one of these cards in almost two years and forgot that speed is important.

Edit: The camera manual says class 4 are minimum for AVCHD recording. I went ahead and ordered a 16GB class 10 30mbps, so I'll have two cards to start. I hated spending over $100 on a 16GB card, but I believe a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.

Jeff Harper February 10th, 2011 12:42 PM

You get what you pay for, and sometimes you get lucky

Transcend as good as Sandisk? I have seen just today 3 posts/complaints on one website on folks who regretted choosing them. I'm also sure there are those who have had a bad card from Sandisk as well, but I haven't seen them.

1st post: "I've taken the transcend route. Two cards don't work. I think they heat up with continuous shooting and give you an error. I've tried TWO cards by now - can't use reliably either one of them. I'd be better off paying more for sandisk. Transcend sucks."

2nd guy: "KevC had to exchange his card also."

3rd Guy: " The Transcend cards I have, though working well, are definitely slower than other cards with the same speed rating."

I've seen a lot of this. Transcend cards will work for some but I can't really risk it.

There is no question, based on what I've seen, that the majority of folks who use Transcend cards will be fine. On the other hand, their quality control or manufacting process is clearly inconsistent.

People sometimes assume just because something is expensive that it is a ripoff. It is a mistake to attribute high prices to marketing costs. I didn't choose Sandisk because of their ads. I chose them because they pretty much set the standard. They are the brand all others are compared to.

Companies do not USUALLY, I stress "usually" become #1 in a field by inflating prices and pretending to be better. They usually are better. Professional photographers tend to use Sandisk or other higher end cards because they are more reliable, not because they like to throw money away.

I am envious of those using inexpensive Transcend cards. They are a really good deal. On the other hand, I never want to tell a customer that I don't have their footage because I chose a cheap card.

Jeff Harper February 10th, 2011 09:50 PM

Brian, posts are not appearing for me on here properly. You posted your reply for my benefit yesterday, but it is only now showing up...not sure what that is about.

I wonder about the bigger card also, and your point is well taken about the safety, workflow of smaller cards. Very good points.

On the other hand, when shooting weddings, which I do a lot of, I'm usually acquiring up to 5 hours per cam, if not more. It seemed cool to me to not have to be preoccupied with changing cards every hour.

Most of my weddings are Catholic masses, and I shoot continuously. Hour tapes were a hassel, because I had to change my tapes at what were often the most inconvient times.

I don't know...I'm kind of torn about it at this point.

Patrick Janka February 12th, 2011 08:59 AM

Jeff, if you're shooting Catholic masses, why not get 80 minute tapes to be safe?

Jeff Harper February 12th, 2011 09:01 AM

They were not available all the time...bought them when I could get them.. Doesn't matter any longer, I'm tapeless now.

Martyn Hull February 12th, 2011 09:14 AM

Jeff i have three cards the same ones i used with my canon when i had it,i have two 8 gb sandisc extreme hd video 20 mb/s and one 16 gb the same card other wise.

Jim Snow February 12th, 2011 12:09 PM

If memory cards were a use-once item, I might be able to understand the quest for the lowest price but I believe the way to look at memory cards is as an equipment investment. When viewed in that light, the cost per event cost difference of premium grade cards versus cheap ones is tiny. If you are just playing with your camera in your back yard, it's no big deal what cards you use. But for professional jobs, cheap cards sound penny wise and pound foolish to me. I don't care if you know this guy who has a friend whose brother in law's neighbor says he has no problems with them, it's not worth taking a chance.

Plastic lens with cardboard barrels anyone? I have this buddy over at Flung Dung Lenses who can fix you up. ;-)

Jeff Harper February 12th, 2011 12:17 PM

Well put Jim.

Regarding my card, will a 15mb card such as mine record in 24p with this camera? That mode records at the highest rate for the camera...will the card keep up? The manual does say a class 4 card is adequate for movies, but it doesn't make sense if it records at 24pbps that it will keep up...something I just don't quite understand.

Brian Luce February 12th, 2011 12:59 PM

But the question is, is there evidence a cheap card is lower in quality than a more expensive one? It's a mistake to assume higher price equals higher quality. Someone must have tested these things.

Corey Graham February 13th, 2011 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Luce (Post 1617509)
But the question is, is there evidence a cheap card is lower in quality than a more expensive one? It's a mistake to assume higher price equals higher quality. Someone must have tested these things.

Despite the fact that I can't come up with any links to support my claims, I have read in numerous places that off-brand cards are much slower than their class ratings indicate.

I did tons of research as I was deciding which cards to go with, and from the countless reviews/articles/etc. that I've read, it seems that it's very hit-or-miss when it comes to Transcend, Adata, etc. Some people have no problem at all, but others complain of write errors or complete failure.

For me, it's a no-brainer. I'm not willing to take on a higher risk of losing data just to save a few bucks.

Jeff Harper February 13th, 2011 06:07 PM

Yeah, Brian, I've seem multiple complaints for less-expensive cards, which I will no longer name, because it's beside the point.

A couple I've quoted earlier in this thread. Those were three complaints in a row in just one thread regarding just one less expensive brand.

As Corey mentioned, I've read here and there where the most common complaint is the cheaper cards are slower than they should be.

Some generic things are fine, but as a rule generics are cheaper for a reason. We've all been to the home of wealthy individuals. Tell me if they furnished their home with products from Walmart you couldn't tell the difference?

I have a dear friend who is intelligent, kind, generous. But this guy will NEVER pay for better quality, always buys cheap. He has a very nice home that he spent big bucks on, and he furnished it with wall hangings from Walmart, Target, goodwill. It looks cheap, and his house is pure tacky.

He believes anything that is decent and costs more than he thinks is fair is a ripoff, and basically his worldview is one of everyone trying to screw everyone.

If you get by with less expensive brands, 9 out of 10 times you'll probably be fine. I just spent $100 on a 16GB card, and yes it stung. But I feel good about it overall.

Bill Strehl February 23rd, 2011 08:37 AM

Re: Transcend class 10 cards with GH2?

I can say that I have gotten error messages on my unhacked GH1 using an ADATA 16GB class 10 card.

Jeff Harper February 23rd, 2011 08:41 AM

Well, I just spent $200 on a 32GB super fast card. It really hurt. On the other hand I do have a lot of faith in it. It is supposed to be good in extreme temps, etc.

That's too bad Bill...so you lost your data?

Brian Luce February 23rd, 2011 11:00 AM

Well, just read a series of posts slamming Sandisk and extolling the virtues of Transcend. I know, it's mere anecdote. I say buy several brands, have a lot of extras. If one brand fails on a mission critical shoot, pop in another brand and keep your fingers crossed.

Jeff Harper February 26th, 2011 11:08 AM

This post is typical of why I like Sandisk, but in the end we can only buy what we can afford.

SanDisk Extreme III vs. Transcend SDHC test results: Canon EOS 1000D / 550D - 300D Forum: Digital Photography Review