DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   GH2 for run and gun work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/494035-gh2-run-gun-work.html)

Jeff Harper April 3rd, 2011 10:59 PM

GH2 for run and gun work

If you plan to use GH2s for run and gun work such as weddings, I'd like to offer suggestions if you come from a conventional video background. This is based on my first serious attempt at using the cameras without a regular video camera backup.

1. Take a video camera and run it from the back if possible.
2. Use a 20mm pancake on your primary GH2/GH1, or equivalent and run it from the back.
3. Run two gh1/gh2s with Panasonic or other compatible lenses, such as Olympus zoom and your 20mm and run your third with a prime of your choice.
4. If you are using a variety of primes, have an adapter for each lens already installed and ready to go.
5. I found Manual Movie mode in Shutter priority with Auto ISO the best overall setting, it worked well for me in a real world use of the cameras.

Zhong Cheung April 17th, 2011 04:11 AM

Re: GH2 for run and gun work

Curious why you felt the GH2 was so difficult to use and why a video camera and/or GH2 on wide in the back is necessary? Is it because the GH2 form factor is so much smaller than the Canon 60d/7d/5dii?

Jeff Harper April 17th, 2011 10:42 AM

I am edting this post, was thinking of another post.

Anyway, I come from a regular video camera background, and yes, between the size, and operating on the fly, it is certainly not easy at first. I have on numerous occasions, while handheld changed a setting uninintentionally, which holds things up.

All I can suggest is that you buy one and try it, and see how it works for you.

William Hohauser April 17th, 2011 05:18 PM

The form factor is wrong for video, great for stills. Focusing is a critical issue with any photo lens and not easy for video on the fly with the traditional photo lenses that cameras like the GH2 use.. A GH2 on a shoulder brace solves the form factor problems for steady non-tripod work. Quick, accurate focusing I haven't solved yet (cheaply).

Jeff Harper April 17th, 2011 05:29 PM

William, I just returned from the local park, shooting handheld walking shots with the camera, the footage is completely useless.

I've never been particularly great at handheld, but could always pull something out of my footage. Not with this camera.

If I'm stationary, that is one thing, but walking, every little movement is like an earthquake.

The secret, I think, is learning how to to work within the confines of the camera's restrictions (in other words learning how to shoot all over again) and going from there.

I agree, it really is not a great form-factor for video, at least not coming from a video camera background. The idea of adjusting focus while shoulder mounted sounds daunting as well.

Jeff Harper April 17th, 2011 05:51 PM

I think a Glidecam 1000HD is in my future.

Jim Forrest April 17th, 2011 10:11 PM

It will make a world of difference, the video will look great. Take a look at the Blackbird too. They are on of the forum's sponsors. Because the GH2 is light you don't need a big rig. I have the Blackbird but it took me a long time to get decent with it and I am still learning. But it would be a great setup for moving down the isle or shooting the dancing Jeff.

Zhong Cheung April 17th, 2011 11:22 PM

It seems like a lot of the complaints about the wrong form factor are applicable to all DSLRs being used as video cameras. Critical focus is hard on any HDSLR/EVIL or similar with just a 3" LCD screen. I suspect even the right form factor video cameras AF-100 and FS-100 have a hard time achieving good focus with just the LCD screen alone.

I use an 8" Lilliput monitor for focusing, even if it can't display 1080p. It has 800x600 resolution. At 8", I'd say it's probably good enough for critical focus by eye without the need of expanded focus or peaking or anything?

I also have a Blackbird stabilizer, Zazaslider, various Manfrotto tripods and monopods, and a Spiderbrace. I would be hard pressed to find a truly handheld situation with the GH2 at a wedding. At the least, it'd be on a Manfrotto monopod or Spiderbrace or something.

So I guess when I hear things like "learning to shoot again within the camera's confines," I'm not sure what that means when no specifics are mentioned. Learning to shoot again coming from a real video camera background? Learning to shoot again coming from Canon DSLRs? Learning to shoot again from what?

And what specific confines of the GH2? Other than the small size (smaller than a Canon DSLR like the 60d) and easy to mash up buttons. I agree that the GH2 is too small to fit comfortably in your hand, but I feel the Canon 60d size is perfect. However, considering that most shots won't be with the camera in my hand...probably not a big deal?

William Hohauser April 18th, 2011 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Harper (Post 1640102)
William, I just returned from the local park, shooting handheld walking shots with the camera, the footage is completely useless.

I've never been particularly great at handheld, but could always pull something out of my footage. Not with this camera.

If I'm stationary, that is one thing, but walking, every little movement is like an earthquake.

The secret, I think, is learning how to to work within the confines of the camera's restrictions (in other words learning how to shoot all over again) and going from there.

I agree, it really is not a great form-factor for video, at least not coming from a video camera background. The idea of adjusting focus while shoulder mounted sounds daunting as well.

That's why I posted the garden footage a couple of weeks ago, not that I was especially proud of it. I'll post a little of last week's run and gun at some point this week. I am in the middle of a shoot with the camera right now and the focus is very tricky even on a tripod if the subject is moving around.

Jeff Harper April 18th, 2011 01:29 PM

Just got back from the park. I decided I didn't make enough of an effort to keep camera steady yesterday, so I tried it again. From the looks of things on the LCD it seemed I was pretty smooth, I was certain footage would be great.

Boy, was I wrong. Absolutely unusable, by any standards!

However on stationary shots the park looked very nice, footage was really gorgeous.

Zhong Cheung April 18th, 2011 02:45 PM

Wow, sounds like focus is really hard to do on the GH2, even on a tripod...much less moving shots.

How hard is focusing on the GH2 compared to focusing on the Canon 60d/7d?

What makes focusing on the GH2 so difficult? Because if its even difficult on a tripod, it would seem like a useless camera...

Jeff Harper April 18th, 2011 07:37 PM

It's only difficult if you have no experience with the format. It's just that many of us here come from using only regular video cameras, at least that is my case. But as you learn the lenses it will get better.

Zhong Cheung April 18th, 2011 09:35 PM

Thanks! That's great news, since I come from a Canon DSLR background.

Nigel Barker April 18th, 2011 10:57 PM

The smaller MFT image sensor size of the GH2 versus the APS-C of the 7D/60D or full frame 5DII means that depth of field will greater at identical aperture for lenses with the same field of view so nailing focus will be easier. A 25mm lens at F/2 focused at 10' on the GH2 has a DOF of just under 3' whereas at the same aperture the equivalent 40mm lens on the 7D/60D has a DOF of 1.46' & the equivalent 50mm on the 5DII has a DOF of 1.45'.

Brian Luce April 18th, 2011 10:57 PM

Focusing on a GH2 isn't that hard, it's much easier than a Canon 7d because all the 7d has is an LCD that doesn't even swivel. The 7d's VF is optical and is disabled in video mode. The GH2 has an awesome VF, the thing that makes all the difference is the lens.