DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   Serious, MAJOR GH2 Shortcoming (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/494408-serious-major-gh2-shortcoming.html)

Brian Luce April 12th, 2011 10:11 PM

Re: Serious, MAJOR GH2 Shortcoming

How well does the GH2 compare to the EX3 in terms of image quality? I owned an EX3 for a while, when I look back at my EX3 footage it doesn't look as good, but it's hard to compare because no AB comparison.

Evan Lloyd April 12th, 2011 10:17 PM

I love my GH2. I don't care about it's shortcomings. I'm perfectly capable of working around them. The GH2 is fun to shoot with and the image quality is fantastic. I enjoy reading your comments, but I really have nothing to complain about. It's a great camera.

Les Wilson April 12th, 2011 10:59 PM

double post.

Les Wilson April 12th, 2011 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Forrest (Post 1638041)
Yes but we are not talking about Canon's. My Nikon D7000 shoots for 20 min. and of course the GH2 can go on and on and is not a DSLR. These restrictions are lifting. Its only relevant on the 7D forum.

Jim. Read up. Post #19 should help you.

This thread is about a supposed "Major Shortcoming" of the Gh2. It's a DSLR. You are shooting video with it. Each V-DSLR has shortcomings of some kind...I listed some examples. It's perfectly relevant to this thread. Put it in perspective: Don't like your camera's shortcomings? Get a camcorder. Then you can complain about it's shortcomings. LOL

Corey Graham April 13th, 2011 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Les Wilson (Post 1638287)

This thread is about a supposed "Major Shortcoming" of the Gh2. It's a DSLR. You are shooting video with it. Each V-DSLR has shortcomings of some kind...I listed some examples. It's perfectly relevant to this thread. Put it in perspective: Don't like your camera's shortcomings? Get a camcorder. Then you can complain about it's shortcomings. LOL

I feel it's tremendously healthy to discuss perceived shortcomings of the equipment we're using, and strategies for getting around them. It's not "complaining," it's discussion.

The fact is that the GH1/GH2 shoots better-looking, higher-quality video than the "real" video cameras most of us use. They are perfectly viable for any shooting situation, and it's up to the operator to work through the "shortcomings" of the device to achieve his/her goals. It shouldn't be dismissed because "it's a DSLR." Heck, if my blender shot 32Mbps 1080/60p video, I'd shoot with it.

And is it possible for us all to drop the argument about whether or not the GH1/GH2 is a DSLR? I'm getting more and more turned off this forum because of this pointless back-and-forth.

Jeff Harper April 13th, 2011 04:44 AM

I agree, the disucssion is a healthy one, for the most part. The difficulties, obstacles to overcome, are important to discuss, and will likely become whiny at times.

I have whined a lot, but in my defense it gets stressful working with these cams. On the other hand, as pointed out, they can be used as primary cameras, it's just not as easy as we would like.

Since I'm facing a busy wedding season with them, I will from time to time freak out. It's easy to miss a setting, forget to focus, when your running multiple versions of these. Thing you don't catch on the LCD because you're in a hurry will really bite you later.

But when you get it right, it sure looks great!

I shot a speaker last week who loves her video, she loves the way it looks. I ran three camera and it turned out very nicely.

James Campbell April 13th, 2011 05:31 AM

It would be incredibly difficult to pull off with my GH2 what I used to be able to do with several Sony V1U's and a Canon HV20... I would set up the HV20 as a wide angle shot, then the B-roll V1U, then operate the primary V1U myself. I just think that if you're transitioning to the DSLR video workflow, you have to totally revamp your workflow and be realistic. To go with my GH2, I bought a Panasonic TM700. I keep that as my wide angle because it always keeps footage in focus (removing the TM700 pulldown via Cineform to match the 24p I shoot with the GH2). When I capture concerts live, unfortunately I'm just not comfortable yet with the GH2 to get great shots on the fly, and I rent EX1's.

Jeff Harper April 13th, 2011 05:51 AM

James, you are so right. I think Jim, having an EX3, and the other Jim with an EX1, are using the GH2 quite sensibly, as second or third cams, etc.

In my case the wedding I shot Saturday didn't come out as I would like, but I'm also confident the customer will be quite happy.

Then again the first wedding I shot with it was close to a disaster. With some creative editing they'll be happy, but I'll spend so much time in post it will be ridiculous.

The next wedding I shoot will be the best yet. I shot a receiving line last week handheld, and the footage was surprisingly nice, but man, you really have to stay on top of the focusing.

It is tough, but can be used for weddings, just tricky. It takes a tremendous amount of concentration.

Jim Forrest April 13th, 2011 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Les Wilson (Post 1638287)

Technically the GH2 is not a DSLR (single lens reflex) it is a mirror less system camera. Read up.
If you go to B&H you will not find the GH2 listed under DSLR's. I have a camcorder and I love my EX3 and I love my GH2, I just don't ask them to do the same thing. I mostly use my GH2 because it it so portable and fun to shoot but if I have a full shoot I will use my Sony. They complement each other beautifully. I just had to match the color profiles on both. I jave no complaints on either camera, as Jim S says they are different tools used for different jobs. If you have a major complaint just make sure you are talking about the GH2.

William Hohauser April 13th, 2011 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Harper (Post 1638142)
And yet, I will do it! I will master this camera!

And I will as well. But still, tomorrow's dance concert: my trusty old JVC HD100, Monday and Tuesday's music video shoot: the GH2. We'll see......

Jim Snow April 13th, 2011 11:01 AM

I, and the majority of others who have commented in this thread, think the GH2 is a great camera. The negative comments aren't pointless "whining"; they are valid comments. No doubt Panasonic's marketing department reads this column also. There is a lot of useful feedback for them that may result in some improvements to the GH2 and succeeding cameras. They are getting some very useful product review information from some people who represent actual users.

Dan Shallenberger April 14th, 2011 12:01 AM

Thought I would jump in here. I seem to be bucking a common consensus here, that using the GH2 *with* a real video camera is key. I actually sold off all my video cameras. I shoot with all DSLRs at the moment, and use my GH2 as my back camera on sticks. I had and was using a Panny HMC-150 for that (became extra when I bought DSLRs) and downgraded (upgraded?) to the GH2 because I can set it and forget it, while it shoots continuously. But mostly because I can throw my GH2 with 20mm pancake lens in a tiny corner of my main camera bag and bring it everywhere with me, as opposed to needing an entirely separate camera bag for my HMC-150.

I couldn't imagine shooting an entire wedding with the GH2, with the shortcomings it has. I respect those of you that are doing it, but I'll take my 7D/5Dm2 any day for the whole day. For me, using it solely for the ceremony cover-shot, and occasionally for a cover-shot for some reception events, is absolutely perfect.

Jeff Harper, we're neighbors and have never met! We should get together sometime.

+ Dan Shallenberger + Poetic Cinema + Poetic Cinema +

Jeff Harper April 14th, 2011 06:21 AM

Dan, hello, I know of you. Didn't you work with Matt? Nice to hear from you!

Dan, GH2 owners wax on about the perceived advantages of the camera over the Canons, which is to be expected by enthusiastic owners.

In my case, I know nothing about the Canon you use except that it shoots phenomenal footage.

What are the attributes of the GH2 that make it suitable (for you) as only a cover shot cam? Your feedback, as the owner and exerienced user of both, would be invaluable.

Dan Shallenberger April 14th, 2011 08:01 AM

Yes, I did used to work for Matt. I've been running my own company now for about 1 1/2 years. I live right down the road from Jeff Hill, next to Kings Island.

I think in comparison, between my 7D and GH2, the GH2 certainly holds its own. From my experience, up to around iso 800, the 7D excels. Between 800 and 1600, the GH2 is slightly better. Then the 7D gains ground after that, although over 1600 is crap for either camera.

Regarding using it as a cover cam, I was using my Panny HMC-150, but it was just too bulky. I started looking around for a replacement that would offer similar image quality, smaller size, adaptability, and ability to record continuously without the ridiculous 12-minute limit, and maybe a tad of usefulness as a backup camera if necessary.

I tried the GH1 with 14-140 at first, because the price went down shortly before the GH2 came out. For lack of a better term, it sucked, and it was too new to be hacked. So, I returned it and luckily found a GH2 with the 14-42 for the same price. It has everything I wanted. The image quality is amazing at 1080p24. It's so small I can place it in a little corner in my main camera bag and have it with me all the time without it taking up so much space. I can adapt it to different situations just by changing the lens. I can record 1.5 hours straight with my 16gb SDHC cards. And I would trust it as a backup camera in the event my DSLRs were not operable or available. It's perfect. Plus, I will use it for personal photography and video while on vacations.

I bought the EOS to m4/3rds adapter, and I love it. It opens up my GH2 to all my Canon lenses, albeit at the maximum aperture. Sure looks funny with the tiny little GH2 sitting at the back of 70-200 f/2.8.

Les Wilson April 14th, 2011 08:09 AM

Some interesting analysis vis-a-vis issues with doing video in a photographic form factor (note I did NOT use the "D" word). Also interesting assessment of the uMFT aspect ratio and pixel size all from a product manager who admits to repackaging a V-photocamera into a camcorder (VG10).

Sony VideON | NEXFS100U Camcorder - Sony Pre-NAB 2011 Training | Most Recent

And, for those who mis-read and misinterpret my posts, I am actually a fan of the GH2.