DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   Battery pack for GH2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/496518-battery-pack-gh2.html)

Jeff Harper May 28th, 2011 11:49 AM

Battery pack for GH2

Now that everyone is getting couplers, here's a device to use with it. Edgar posted the link in another thread, but it got kind of lost.

Power Lumix

I personally have the MyPowerAll pictured here at bottom: http://www.tekkeon.com/products-mobile-pwr.html

Bill Bruner May 29th, 2011 11:29 AM

Re: Battery pack for GH2

For folks who already have camcorder batteries and chargers this is a terrific solution.

Sadly, when I needed external power, I didn't have camcorder batteries and the Dolgin solution wasn't available yet -- so I went with a "plug and play" AC solution with lightweight lithium-ion power packs. Here's what I did:

Hybrid Camera Revolution: No-solder external battery solution for GH-2

Steve Montoto June 13th, 2011 11:51 AM

Have any of you heard of a battery grip comming out for the GH2? I was looking at your powerpak solution and was curious how you are mounting it to the camera for stability, since I switch between monopod and tripod frequently.

Thanks!

Jeff Harper June 13th, 2011 12:17 PM

Steve, since the GH2 is a consumer gadget, and not aimed at the professional photographer, I highly doubt one will come out for the GH2, unless it's an off brand. I could be dead wrong, but that is my guess on that matter. Man, it would be wonderful though if they did.

Nigel Barker June 13th, 2011 05:43 PM

There is a battery grip available for the Canon 550D/T2i & 600D/T3i & they are consumer gadgets & in fact cheaper than the GH2.

Jeff Harper June 13th, 2011 07:33 PM

True Nigel, but the Canons are also widely used by wedding photographers as second cameras, and in some unfortunate cases as primary cams.

The GH2 is pretty weak in the photo dept, and doesn't even have a truly pro grade flash unit made for it.

It may come to pass that one will be made, but I don't believe it will happen. But I have been wrong quite a few times before, wouldn't be the first time!

Bill Bruner June 13th, 2011 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Montoto (Post 1658019)
Have any of you heard of a battery grip comming out for the GH2? I was looking at your powerpak solution and was curious how you are mounting it to the camera for stability, since I switch between monopod and tripod frequently.

Thanks!

Hi Steve,

A company called ownuser in Taiwan makes a battery grip for the GH1.

They are working on a version for the GH2.

See this thread at dpreview. The GH2 grip was promised in May, but is running a little late. Should be out soon.

In the meantime, I use duct tape to secure my battery packs to my tripod legs. Of course, that won't work for rapid switches between monopod and tripod.

For more flexibility, I'm thinking about shooting ENG-style with an inexpensive belt mounted battery pouch solution like this, this or

. That will allow me to switch relatively quickly between tripod, handheld and Flycam.

Cheers,

Bill

Jeff Harper June 13th, 2011 11:11 PM

First, it looks like I'm wrong again. Second, the battery pack for the GH1 looks cool, but the page it is on is almost indecipherable in it's complexity. Iit gave me a headache! I need to look at it in the morning. If it will mount on a tripod, I will order it immediatly!

Bill Bruner June 14th, 2011 07:43 AM

Hi Jeff -- For those of us who don't read Chinese, the easiest way to get one is from a Hong Kong seller on eBay. Best price is $119 (free shipping).

Cheers,

Bill

GH1 battery grip | eBay

Jeff Harper June 14th, 2011 08:06 AM

Steve, thanks for bringing up the topic. I would strongly prefer to see one of these made by Panasonic, of which I am certain will not happen, but I have to say they look very cool.

My biggest issue running multiple (4) cameras for weddings is battery life! I have a Tektonic battery pack, but I've never used the damned thing, I've been to lazy to configure it and find a way to mount it to my tripod.

How nice yet confusing that there are muliple off brands of this device. I wll hold off and allow someone else to go first! I want one, but am afraid to order. Do they fit on tripod securely? This is the kind of device that should be quite simple, but as with lens adapters, they may not all be the same, or worth buying. I have an expensive FD mount that doesn't function at all, but yet my $29 ones work perfectly. So methinks I will wait to see how the reviews roll in.

David Grinnell June 14th, 2011 04:11 PM

This is what I did

Lasts about 10 hours recording time with the battery I got... over all cost me $60 and charges in 30mins