DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   Away To Me - a wee video with a thrifty long lens (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/501541-away-me-wee-video-thrifty-long-lens.html)

Kevin McRoberts October 12th, 2011 06:04 PM

Away To Me - a wee video with a thrifty long lens

Sheep and border collies cavorting in the Virginia hills. I had my hacked GH2 and a Sigma 100-300, Nikon mount, that I'd bought the previous day for $15.

That'll do.

Jeff Harper October 12th, 2011 07:45 PM

Re: Away To Me - a wee video with a thrifty long lens

Very cool Kevin. Nice camera work. Which spaghetti western was the music from, A Few Dollars More?

Ervin Farkas October 12th, 2011 09:04 PM

Well done, Kevin!

I bet that dog is worth more than a GH2...

Kevin McRoberts October 13th, 2011 10:39 AM

Thanks

Jeff, its from The Good, Bad, Ugly soundtrack, used during the 3-way standoff at the end.

And even though it's worth less, I fortunately never have to pick up the GH2's turds.

Dennis Vogel October 13th, 2011 01:53 PM

Kevin, very nice as others have noted. I'm curious what gear you used to be able to track the dog so well. Surely it wasn't hand held. Even on a tripod it seems like no mean feat to stay with him esp at such long focal lengths. Curious to hear your technique.

D

Kevin McRoberts October 13th, 2011 02:43 PM

A small Manfrotto tripod (755, IIRC) with a 701 head used as a monopod since there wasn't enough room to deploy the legs. Obviously I still had quite a time following McPooch when he changed directions and my focus pulls were somewhat lacking. Still practicing so I can grow into a Sigma 50-500.

William Hohauser October 13th, 2011 10:06 PM

Did you use the viewfinder or LCD screen?

Jeff Harper October 13th, 2011 10:19 PM

Yes, your camera work was nothing short of amazing to me, I guess with practice... I love the 701 heads, they are my favorites.

Kevin McRoberts October 14th, 2011 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William Hohauser (Post 1688542)
Did you use the viewfinder or LCD screen?

LCD... having my face to the EVF would have induced way too much vibration

Dennis Vogel October 14th, 2011 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin McRoberts (Post 1688448)
A small Manfrotto tripod (755, IIRC) with a 701 head used as a monopod since there wasn't enough room to deploy the legs. Obviously I still had quite a time following McPooch when he changed directions and my focus pulls were somewhat lacking. Still practicing so I can grow into a Sigma 50-500.

Yes, very nice work. I've never tried to wrangle a tripod as a monopod as you describe. Interesting.

As far as focus is concerned, would the continuous focus work? Is that available in video mode? I just got my GH2 2 days ago and I'm only now trying to grind my way through the manual.

D

Kevin McRoberts October 14th, 2011 03:02 PM

On this lens, no. Some lenses work with AFC (14-140, Oly 12/2, for instance), but anything not made for 4/3 or m4/3 is guaranteed to be all manual, all the time.

Using a tripod as a monopod is easy... just extend a few of the legs to desired height and keep 'em straight. In most cases it's pointless, but in stuffed quarters or those odd places in DC that yell at you if you use a tripod but don't give a hoot about monopods, it works OK.

Dennis Vogel October 14th, 2011 04:50 PM

Aha, yes. I'm learning about the m4/3 lenses and their capabilities.

Thanks.

D