DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   Just released GH2 Battery Grip. Just got my email. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/503876-just-released-gh2-battery-grip-just-got-my-email.html)

Steve Montoto December 27th, 2011 10:01 AM

Just released GH2 Battery Grip. Just got my email.

GH2 Battery grip link

Ive been waiting on this company to release a battery grip for the camera and they just sent me an email.

Cheers!

Jeff Harper December 27th, 2011 10:37 AM

Re: Just released GH2 Battery Grip. Just got my email.

Steve, thanks for the post. Their website gives me a headache, I remember it from a while back. So it's finally released? Great!

Is there a tripod hole in the bottom of the pack? I'm sure there must be. Looks like a great solution for getting extra longevity. What's it hold, two batteries? That will be awesome.

Please keep us posted on how you like it!

Steve Montoto December 27th, 2011 10:47 AM

Yeah, the website kinda gives you a headache, but so far its the only company I know of that offers one. I will report back when I get it and test. It will be nice to add a little bulk to the gh2 and use my same batteries.

Take care!

Jeff Harper December 27th, 2011 11:10 AM

Yes, two or more continuous hour of battery life would be a life saver for for weddings. It seems like I am occupied with changing batteries the entire day as it is, so I'm really looking forward to hearing your report!

Patrick Janka December 27th, 2011 03:14 PM

pretty cool

Guy Smith December 28th, 2011 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Montoto (Post 1705968)
GH2 Battery grip link

Ive been waiting on this company to release a battery grip for the camera and they just sent me an email.

Cheers!

Thanks for the link, it's good to see accessories like this.

Probably not an issue for video shooters, but it looks like the shutter release on the battery grip only works if a cable is plugged into the camera's 2.5mm shutter release/mic input jack.

Dennis Vogel December 28th, 2011 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guy Smith (Post 1706144)
Probably not an issue for video shooters, but it looks like the shutter release on the battery grip only works if a cable is plugged into the camera's 2.5mm shutter release/mic input jack.

Plus it appears the battery unit takes over the shutter release function from the GH2 as it has a shutter button on the front of the unit. Any idea why this would be necessary or desirable?

D

Michael Pekic December 29th, 2011 04:39 AM

Dennis:
when you turn your camera to the left (portrait), you don't have to hold the camera at top/bottom positions you can hold her at left/right positions and release the shutter as in landscape mode.

Jeff Harper December 29th, 2011 06:47 AM

As Michael says the shutter button on the battery pack is simply an added feature to facilitate snapping photos when you are holding the camera in different positions. This is a common feature of battery packs. This is alien to most of us because most of us are video people learning our way in the world of photography.

It's called a vertical shutter release. (I only know that because I looked it up :)

Dennis Vogel December 29th, 2011 05:15 PM

Jeff, yeah, I'm mainly a video guy, too, so turning the cam to portrait mode was the last thing I would have thought of. "Vertical shutter". I learned something new today!

D

Jeff Harper December 29th, 2011 05:35 PM

We both did!

Steve Montoto January 9th, 2012 03:55 PM

Just got my GH2 battery grips in. My first impression is that they were a little plasticky and light weight when I took them out of the boxs. Its decently built though. After putting them on with my oem batteries(DMW-BLC12PP) it made the camera feel less compact and more substantial. Its no 5d with oem grip but it won't make me feel self-conscious to take on a paying gig. I don't feel any play and the quick-release mounts fine and sturdy to the bottom of it. I took it to a family get together most of the day Sunday and still have 2 bars on my battery indicator.

P.S. I did not use the jumper wire for the side button.

Just my initial thoughts I thought I'd share.

Jeff Harper January 9th, 2012 04:00 PM

Thanks for sharing Steve! Glad you like it!

Graeme Hay January 14th, 2012 10:10 AM

Interesting... may get one if everyone is happy with them.

Jeff Harper February 23rd, 2012 10:33 PM

Steve, the battery grip comes with optional accesories, but I have no clue what they are as listed on the website: 萬菱電訊有**公司

It looks like you can buy the grip by itself, or with a battery charger if that is what it is? I don't know what those items are. The third listing shows a second optional piece, I just cant' make out what they are.

Anyone have a clue?