Help with .rw2 format at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old December 30th, 2011, 07:08 AM   #1
Major Player

Help with .rw2 format

This is really going to show my ignorance.

I took some pictures with the GH2 for the first time over christmas holidays. I havem't even been in the menu for still pics. Just starting taking pics. Now that I have all these pics in rw2 or raw format, what do I need to do to be able to convert them to jpeg or whatever, so I can share with the family?

PhotoFunStudio that came with the GH2 will let me view the pics but I can't figure out how to convert to jpeg. When I try to use the converter, the pics aren't displayed in the folder....I'm very confused.
Old December 30th, 2011, 07:16 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Help with .rw2 format

Hi Tim, not to answer your immediate question, but many pros shoot in jpeg, and avoid raw.

As has been explained to me by several pros, the primary advantage of raw is that colors are easier to manipulate in post. The first time I shot in raw was also the last time I shot in raw.

That being said, jpeg is more than good enough for any casual shooter, and even works for many pros. The resolutions of the cameras now is so freakin' high that raw is just not necessary much of the time.

Anyway, you can use irfanview, but you'll need the plug in for it for raw, not sure which one. Just download Irfanview if you don't have it. It will also do batch conversions and resizing. I don't know of a paid program that is as handy and fast for photo resizing and conversion as Irfanview.

Peruse the Irfanview website for info on raw plugin.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2011, 07:53 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Jeff, I'll have to get my manual back out and figure out how to change to jpeg format!!

Do you know if the program that came with the GH2 will convert to jpeg?
Old December 30th, 2011, 08:20 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Tim, you dont need the manual, just go into the menu, it's not hard to find.

Anyway, the program with GH2 I have no idea. Download Irfanview, it's free, it has almost no footprint, it's better than photoshop for a number of things and extremely simple to use.

http://www.irfanview.com/
Old December 30th, 2011, 10:07 AM   #5
Major Player

I edited my above post, but I guess I didn't post it.

Anyway, the edit said: yeah Infraview works like a charm. Jeff, your like a one man instant support crew! You da man!!

What mode do you set the dial to for pics menu?
Old December 30th, 2011, 10:33 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Tim, glad you like Irfanview, it's great for resizing and stuff. I don't know if you can crop etc, with it, I use other programs to actually edit photos, but for downsizing and converting to smaller sizes Irfanview is the best.

My camera is locked away with the rest of my gear, but just hit the menu button and I think scroll down through. You can choose dimensions too. Sorry I can't be more specific.

For photos that will be mixed with photos I select the 16:9 dimension and the photos come out the closest match for the timeline.
Old December 30th, 2011, 03:27 PM   #7
Major Player

Just to follow up a bit, yes, Irfanview will, indeed, crop the GH2 .RW2 files as well as rotate, etc. It's a great program not just because it's free.

Photoshop Elements 10 will also handle .RW2 files as will Photoshop itself, I'm sure, even though I don't have it.
Dennis Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2011, 07:48 PM   #8
Major Player

I've been using Irfanview for years, and while it handles rw2 files, it doesn't do a conversion, it only extracts the jpeg that's already embedded.

The program that's included with the GH2 for RAW/rw2 files, is Silkypix. I already have Photoshop, so I never use Silkypix.

If you're happy with jpegs, then don't worry about it. If you're serious about getting more photographically out of the GH2, then it's worth the time to learn about RAW files and how to make the best use of them.
Kin Lau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2011, 01:59 PM   #9
Major Player

Kin, could you explain what you mean by "[Irfanview] doesn't do a conversion, it only extracts the jpeg that's already embedded."? I do a Save As and Irfanview appears to convert RW2 files to JPG. I wasn't aware there were any JPG files embedded in the GH2's raw files. Is this documented somewhere in the GH2 manual?

D
Old December 31st, 2011, 03:25 PM   #10
Inner Circle

I use Irfanview to convert png to jpg and vice versa, works for me just fine.

Kin, many professional photographers shoot in jpeg. 80% (I'm guessing) of the wedding pros I know shoot in jpeg. Learning how to use one's camera settings is much more important than choosing between raw and jpeg, in my opinion.

For the purposes of what most of use do around here photo wise I can see raw a real overkill, but again, that's just my opinion.
Old January 2nd, 2012, 10:55 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Vogel View Post
Kin, could you explain what you mean by "[Irfanview] doesn't do a conversion, it only extracts the jpeg that's already embedded."? I do a Save As and Irfanview appears to convert RW2 files to JPG. I wasn't aware there were any JPG files embedded in the GH2's raw files. Is this documented somewhere in the GH2 manual?

D
I don't think it's in the manual, but it's common to all raw files. All raw files will embed a jpeg, that's how Winodws and MacOS knows how to preview them.
Old January 2nd, 2012, 11:11 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
Kin, many professional photographers shoot in jpeg. 80% (I'm guessing) of the wedding pros I know shoot in jpeg. Learning how to use one's camera settings is much more important than choosing between raw and jpeg, in my opinion.

For the purposes of what most of use do around here photo wise I can see raw a real overkill, but again, that's just my opinion.
Most pro wedding photogs I know shoot in RAW - I know those numbers for sure, I shot all my weddings in RAW as well. If you don't know for sure, then you're quite likely off on those numbers.
Old January 2nd, 2012, 04:35 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Lau View Post
I don't think it's in the manual, but it's common to all raw files. All raw files will embed a jpeg, that's how Winodws and MacOS knows how to preview them.
Then my Windows must be missing something because my GH2 raw images cannot be previewed with the right-click Preview which I believe runs the Windows Photo Viewer. Likewise, when I navigate into a folder with .RW2 files in it I don't see a thumbnail of the photo. Instead I see the icon below.

Any idea where my embedded JPG files went or how to get Windows to see them? BTW, I did install the Microsoft Camera Codec Pack to try to get Vegas to handle my .RW2 files.

D
Attached Images

Old January 2nd, 2012, 04:40 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Kin, I'm telling you that virtually every wedding photographer I deal with shoots in jpeg. Some shoot in raw, mostly old timers or higher end. I know this because I've asked nearly every one I've shot with, and discussed the pro and cons of each.

When I began shooting stills at weddings with my Canon 40D a while back, I asked most every photographer I shot with for nearly a year a lots of questions, everything from lenses used to what format they shoot in. Do they ever use auto settings or are they always in full manual? Which camera bracket is that you're using, why do you like the Omnibounce diffuser rather than the Gary Fong, ad nauseum. I've pestered the crap out of photographers for a good while now.

I only shoot about 40 events a year, more or less, but that still gives me a fair guess.

If you look around the net this is an old and tired argument.

Raw has plenty of advantages, but for the average Joe Blow, who give a sh_t? Most hobbyists and low end photographers are not doing prints or heavy color correction, and no one cares if you shoot in raw or jpeg.

Raw takes excessive space, and most guys don't know how to take advantage of raw's advantages anyway.

You cannot learn your camera any better by shooting in raw to begin with. Newbies and inexperienced don't even know the differences between shutter speed and exposure half the time, so why this insistence to push them into using raw? It's just unnecessary.

There is a difference between outlining the advantages of raw vs jpeg as opposed to being a "RAW snob". It's like those videographers who refuse to shoot in auto focus because they consider anyone who uses autofocus to be a hack. Same thing, no difference.
Old January 2nd, 2012, 04:54 PM   #15
Inner Circle

I should add that YES RAW IS BETTER. WE ALL KNOW THIS. That is not the point. I find it irritating when more "advanced" photographers needlessly push new people into advanced techniques that will only confuse and and disorient them needlessly. If you barely know how to turn a camera on, why in the world would you need to shoot in raw or in manual mode?
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series