DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   Frozen Wet GH3 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/513025-frozen-wet-gh3.html)

Jim Giberti December 29th, 2012 06:52 PM

Frozen Wet GH3

Put the weather sealing to a test in a snowstorm that ended up dumping 2 feet at the farm.
Filmed the horses this time and I was amazed at how useable the little EVF was.
Like the Snowshoeing film, no way to pull focus in deep snow and gloves so I actually relied on AFS as well.

Nate Haustein December 29th, 2012 08:58 PM

Re: Frozen Wet GH3

Now that's a snowstorm!

Your horses are beautiful, thanks for sharing - I assume the weather sealing performed as expected :)

Leon Kolenda December 30th, 2012 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Giberti (Post 1770148)
Put the weather sealing to a test in a snowstorm that ended up dumping 2 feet at the farm.
Filmed the horses this time and I was amazed at how useable the little EVF was.
Like the Snowshoeing film, no way to pull focus in deep snow and gloves so I actually relied on AFS as well.

Snowstorm at Imagination Farm on Vimeo

Wow Nice video!! makes me want to go buy a GH3 right now. Could you share a little info on the settings.
1080p 60p, ISO, MBPS, What lens? Very nice!

Jim Giberti December 30th, 2012 10:56 AM

Everything was 60p, Natural, -4 -4 -1 -5 shot with the 20mm 1.7 with a .09 ND filter probably averaging between f/2.8 and f/3.5. And given the conditions I relied on the AFs to grab focus on the fly. I had to retry on occasions but I was surprised at how accurate it was especially given the constant veil of snow.

Jim Giberti December 30th, 2012 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate Haustein (Post 1770167)
Now that's a snowstorm!

Your horses are beautiful, thanks for sharing - I assume the weather sealing performed as expected :)

Seriously Nate, it was a frozen block when I got in the door and passed it to my wife. I couldn't shut it off because the on/off switch was encrusted in ice with everything else. A very well made little camera.

Ron Fabienke December 30th, 2012 01:03 PM

"Seriously Nate, it was a frozen block when I got in the door and passed it to my wife. I couldn't shut it off because the on/off switch was encrusted in ice with everything else. A very well made little camera."

Wow that is a hard core weather test! What did you do if anything special once you had it immediately indoors? It would seem condensation on the inside could become a big problem at that point if not handled smartly. Was there a cold room or porch where you kept it while it thawed out and dried?

Jim Giberti December 30th, 2012 03:16 PM

Honestly, I just passed it off and trusted the weather sealing.

Leon Kolenda December 31st, 2012 12:20 AM

Wow, Very impressive camera. I have a Sony Nex7 and a VG20 that I got to use different lens's. Very disappointed in the Nex-7, major overheat issues. So I'm kind of invested in a few lens's, but I really like what i'm seeing so far on this GH3. I may have to sell of my Nex7 and few lens's should I decide to get a GH3.

Thank you for sharing your info and nice video.

Leon