DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   Poor man's XLR to GH2 adapter (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/513249-poor-mans-xlr-gh2-adapter.html)

Bill Bruner January 7th, 2013 06:05 AM

Poor man's XLR to GH2 adapter

Running a $75 used Audio Technica AT835 mic (sourced from eBay) directly into my GH2 with a $15 Hosa Low Z to High Z transformer and a $5 Hosa GPM-467 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter. The windscreen is a $55 Olsen Mic Muff MM-21. It works really well for my application (standups right in front of the camera for my vlog).

Connected to the GH3, I won't need the GPM-467 any more. A lot less expensive than Panasonic's $349 OEM solution :)

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-6...9/P1010660.JPG

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Adrian Frearson January 7th, 2013 07:39 AM

Re: Poor man's XLR to GH2 adapter

So the GH3 still has a little 2.5mm input? Damn, I was hoping that they had put in a real 3.5mm at least!
The little adapters are great for static set ups, like you'll be using, but they're a bit of a nightmare once you start moving around a lot.

Kevin McRoberts January 7th, 2013 09:35 AM

That photo is a GH2... the GH3 has a 3.5mm input. The GPM-467 he mentions is the model# of the 3.5-2.5 adapter

Bill Bruner January 7th, 2013 12:41 PM

Sorry for any confusion. Kevin is correct, that was a picture of the GH2. I will post a picture of the GH3 setup tonight or tomorrow.

Adrian Frearson January 10th, 2013 02:57 AM

Guess I should have read your post properly!

Bill Bruner January 31st, 2013 02:10 AM

Finally - here is a picture of the GH3 setup (no 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter required :)):

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-oq...1/P1110865.JPG

Bruce Foreman January 31st, 2013 11:26 AM

Get that squirrel off your camera before it does what birds do on my new car!

Jase Tanner January 31st, 2013 01:38 PM

Bill

Curious to which squirrel er, mic you've got there.

Bill Bruner January 31st, 2013 03:43 PM

It is a used Audio Technica AT835 like this one from eBay.
The "squirrel" is an
Bill

Ron Fabienke February 1st, 2013 10:17 AM

Editing GH3 stereo track from 2 Mic Sources

I will be shooting first video job with the GH3 tomorrow, a behind the scenes & flavor of the event capture, for "his" editing into a future demo piece, of one of my friends in the video business putting on a large company event tomorrow night.

I have a DVMulti-rig setup that will hold a light as well as a small Sennheiser wireless receiver and a short Sennheiser super cardioid mic on a small isolation mount. Both will feed XLR into an also mounted Juiced Link DT454 mixer, which will feed the GH3 mic input with mixed stereo and override its AGC. I can monitor off of the mixer so my flip out LCD screen is not limited in its movement.

My question is when he edits this in FCPX will it allow him to work with the two channels "individually" for their levels.....that were recorded as stereo to the camera?

He wants a LAV on him and the good external cardioid mic for ambient sound and the only capture will be from my rig, no external recorders used.

I'm editing in Premiere and "think" any stereo track has to be worked with as a whole.

If the 2 channels can't be separated then if I am off shooting away from him I guess I will need to unplug the LAV input from the mixer for those shots.

Thanks much

Guy Smith February 1st, 2013 01:29 PM

Thanks for posting Bill, do you have any audio samples that you can share?

I've had noise issues with all but two mics – and both of them were low impedance (150 Ohms and 200 Ohms). Everything else (microphones, field mixers, wireless receivers) was 600 Ohms and noisy, so it seems to me that an adapter with a high output impedance would make things worse, not better.

Ron Fabienke February 1st, 2013 02:51 PM

Re: Editing GH3 stereo track from 2 Mic Sources

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Fabienke (Post 1776583)
I will be shooting first video job with the GH3 tomorrow, a behind the scenes & flavor of the event capture, for "his" editing into a future demo piece, of one of my friends in the video business putting on a large company event tomorrow night.

I have a DVMulti-rig setup that will hold a light as well as a small Sennheiser wireless receiver and a short Sennheiser super cardioid mic on a small isolation mount. Both will feed XLR into an also mounted Juiced Link DT454 mixer, which will feed the GH3 mic input with mixed stereo and override its AGC. I can monitor off of the mixer so my flip out LCD screen is not limited in its movement.

My question is when he edits this in FCPX will it allow him to work with the two channels "individually" for their levels.....that were recorded as stereo to the camera?

He wants a LAV on him and the good external cardioid mic for ambient sound and the only capture will be from my rig, no external recorders used.

I'm editing in Premiere and "think" any stereo track has to be worked with as a whole.

If the 2 channels can't be separated then if I am off shooting away from him I guess I will need to unplug the LAV input from the mixer for those shots.

Thanks much

I hope I haven't embarrassed myself with a dumb question above. But now I have to go to my local pro sound company and pick up a small 3.5mm male to male cable to run from the Juiced Link mixer to the 3.5mm input on the GH3. I have been assuming this is a stereo input? But I also know what "assume" can turn me into..... :) By chance is that a mono jack?

Bill Bruner February 1st, 2013 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Fabienke (Post 1776583)
...By chance is that a mono jack?...

It is a stereo input.

Bill Bruner February 1st, 2013 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guy Smith (Post 1776639)
Thanks for posting Bill, do you have any audio samples that you can share?

Sounds great through headphones on the GH3. I'll record something tonight.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guy Smith (Post 1776639)
I've had noise issues with all but two mics – and both of them were low impedance (150 Ohms and 200 Ohms). Everything else (microphones, field mixers, wireless receivers) was 600 Ohms and noisy, so it seems to me that an adapter with a high output impedance would make things worse, not better.

The input for the GH2/3 and most consumer devices is around 2500 Ohms, so a Low Z to High Z transformer is appropriate for this application.

Bill

Bill Bruner February 4th, 2013 06:04 AM

I finally had the opportunity to record a test of my eBay procured Audio Technica AT835 plugged into the with a . In the video below, I compare the $75 AT835 to my consumer mic. It was no contest.

I will have to do more testing, but the GH3's preamps sounded pretty darned good to me. Good enough for interview or B roll audio, and perhaps good enough for production audio.

More details on the blog.

Hope this is helpful,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution