DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   GH3 Magnification Factor Question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/514549-gh3-magnification-factor-question.html)

Don DesJardin February 24th, 2013 11:20 AM

GH3 Magnification Factor Question

From what I have read, when you mount a M43 compatible lens to a GH3 you get a 2X magnification factor i.e.a 200mm becomes 400mm. I'm considering purchasing a GH3 and use some of my Nikon lenses with a M43 to Nikon F adapter. Adding an adapter moves the lens further away from the sensor, so you would think that you would see not only the 2X but also some kind of additional magnification factor because of the lens adapter. True of not true, because I have tried searching for an answer but haven't found one yet.

Bruce Foreman February 24th, 2013 11:37 AM

Re: GH3 Magnification Factor Question

Not true.

The "magnification" factor is approximately 2x due to the sensor being smaller than larger formats (like full frame). A 25mm focal length is "normal" (close to the spatial perspective our eye percieves) and is like using a 50mm lens on full frame.

The 50mm adapted to m4/3 will be about like using a 100mm telephoto on full frame. The 2x factor at work.

The depth (length) of the adapter for other brand lenses is necessary because the mount flange to sensor distance on the Panasonic and Olympus m4/3 camera bodies is significantly "thinner" than on most other bodies. That adapter "length" is necessary to allow the lens to "focus" on the sensor.

It's really a "neat" system, camera bodies are smaller and lighter, lenses are significantly smaller and lighter (check out some of the "fast glass" m4/3 primes!), and the image quality is there. And I can pack 2 bodies with a set of 3 primes (14mm, 20mm, and 45mm) in a pretty small bag that doesn't weigh me down.

Get the GH3. Panasonic apparently has listened to the pro and semi pro users and put a lot of what was requested into this camera. Also look at the compact primes, it's a tremendous system. I have 3 GH2 bodies and a new GH3 and I like them all.

Duane Adam February 24th, 2013 12:05 PM

The research I did before buying the GH3 confirms what Bruce said. I have 5 Nikon lenses which work beautifully on the GH3. I still have a Nikon camera so with the 2x crop factor on the GH3 it's like have 10 different lenses.

Don DesJardin February 24th, 2013 12:26 PM

Thanks Bruce and Duane for explaining it. I'm sold on the GH3 after doing a lot of research, and no question it's a neat camera. I'm planning to use it with my XL H1 for wildlife with Nikon lenses and general purpose photography with good M43 lenses. I don't think Canon is going to replace the XL H1 with an advanced H1, so the GH3 is probably the best chance for a reasonable telephoto reach and for the price. If I might ask, what Nikon adapter did you buy Duane. Again, thanks for you responses....Don

Duane Adam February 24th, 2013 02:14 PM

I bought this thinking it would be a cheap temporary adapter. It works so well I don't see any reason to replace it. The aperture control works great although it's a little stiff with one of my lenses. Can't beat it for $28.

BTW, my Nikon lenses are all f mount so this fits those too.

Alan Halfhill February 24th, 2013 04:53 PM

i have been using Nikkors with my GH2 since I have owned it. Now I use them on my GH3.

Here is footage shot with an old ED 400mm 5.6.

Birds with my GH2 - YouTube

Don DesJardin February 25th, 2013 01:25 AM

Thanks all for answering my question. Alan, thanks for sharing your bird footage...Don