Panasonic, PLEASE give us a faster wide!! 7mm @ 4.0 isn't going to cut it!!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old June 26th, 2013, 12:51 AM   #1
Major Player

Panasonic, PLEASE give us a faster wide!! 7mm @ 4.0 isn't going to cut it!!!

I have to say, when I first moved to the GH2, I was in love with the low price and great video quality. Boy it really nails a lot of great things. But I have to say, I never thought I would find the crop factor so limiting when it comes to going wide and fast. Having a full sensor, such as the 5d allows you to use a plethora of fast 1.4, 1.6 lenses at 24mm, 14mm, etc. The best you can hope to do with a GH2 is 22mm@2.5, thats a 14mm 2.5 with a wide angle converter attachment mounted. This doesn't seem like a big deal until you need to do some steadicam work in a low light indoors environment where my only hope is to get them in infinite focus.

Just kinda frustrating, and an important point for new soon to be owners of gh2's and gh3's to consider!
James Palanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2013, 02:12 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Panasonic, PLEASE give us a faster wide!! 7mm @ 4.0 isn't going to cut it!!!

Try the Olympus F2 12mm - a beautiful piece of glass.
Chris Duczynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2013, 06:57 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Re: Panasonic, PLEASE give us a faster wide!! 7mm @ 4.0 isn't going to cut it!!!

12mm F/2.0 is my favorite lens. I'm thinking of selling all my lenses, except that one.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2013, 11:08 AM   #4
Major Player

I can't really justify the .5 of a stop for 800$ when the 14mm and the wide angle converter together is around 270$ and it gets me wider than the 12.
Old June 26th, 2013, 02:20 PM   #5
Major Player

So...maybe the title of the thread ought to be "Panasonic/Olympus, PLEASE give us a cheaper, faster wide!!" :)

By the way, a Canon 24mm f2.8 EF lens is $699.

Cheers,

Bill
Bill Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2013, 03:31 PM   #6
Major Player

You get what you pay for. Yes, it may be faster and cheaper, but do you think, more importantly it will be better. Good glass is king, no matter what camera or setting you use.
Chris Duczynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2013, 03:44 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Is it not possible to attach a 8 or 10mm f2.8 lens from Samyang (rokinon) to a gh2/3 through a adapter?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2013, 05:15 PM   #8
Major Player

Haha well put everyone. Well I think the 10mm and 7mm's are mostly fish eye lenses are they not?

Like I said, this is mostly a non issue when you have a lot of light, but m4/3 needs some kinda solution for 14 and 24 mm ranges at 1.5-1.6.
Old June 26th, 2013, 07:37 PM   #9
Inner Circle

I don't think anyone has a solution at that speed. Look at Canon's offerings. The 12mm F/2.0 beats anything Canon has at any price, unless I missed it. Canon does have a wide zoom that starts at 3.5 but that's about it.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2013, 01:01 PM   #10
Major Player

I put a 0.7x wide adapter on my Voigtlander 17.5/0.95 . It gets the job done.

If the Canon EF or Nikon version Speedbooster ever appears and (as they hint) offers full m43 coverage from DX lenses, then the Tokina 11-16/2.8 would convert to a ~8-12/2 which certainly wouldn't suck.
Old June 29th, 2013, 04:32 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
Is it not possible to attach a 8 or 10mm f2.8 lens from Samyang (rokinon) to a gh2/3 through a adapter?
Noa - you don't need an adapter. You can get the Rokinon 7.5mm f3.5 in native micro 4/3 mount for $254 at Amazon (as of this post).

But, as James says, it's a fisheye.

Cheers,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
Bill Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2013, 04:50 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Yes, but I would think a 10mm would be more usable on a micro 4/3 camera compared to the same lens on a full frame camera? I have used a canon 10-22mm lens on my 550d @ 10mm and that is not fisheye at all, on a full frame yes but due to the cropfactor on my 550d not. it distorts ofcourse but perfectly usable on a steadicam.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2013, 02:05 PM   #13
Trustee

What about the SLR Magic 12mm t1.6? Much faster than f2.5 and a bit wider without having to add an extra layer of glass with a wide angle adapter. This lens is about as wide and fast as you can get together. Really is a great option.

You should really consider the Olympus 12mm as well. If you are serious about film making it is pretty common to buy a lens that costs a heck of a lot more than $270.00. Sure Canon may have options for super wide angle at fast speeds but look at the price of those lenses. Very few good lenses cost less than $300.00 outside of maybe a 50mm. Just the way it is.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2013, 07:33 PM   #14
Major Player

I'm very curious about the SLR magic but I keep hearing things about it getting fuzzy towards the outside of the frame when its wide open, so that makes me nervous. Yeah its frustrating, the cost of glass, but you are right.
Old July 7th, 2013, 06:01 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin McRoberts View Post
I put a 0.7x wide adapter on my Voigtlander 17.5/0.95 . It gets the job done.
Kevin, does using a 0.7x wide adapter affect image quality at all? My currently widest lens is the 25mm Leica f/1.4, and since my budget was pretty much spent on a GH3, I'd rather get that adapter to attach to the Leica than buy a wider lens (would make it equivalent to your Voigtlander with no adapter).

Can you recommend a brand of adapter or are they all ok?

Thank you!
Luc Spencer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series