DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   gx7 peaking - gh5 Dec 2013 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/518339-gx7-peaking-gh5-dec-2013-a.html)

Adam Letch August 15th, 2013 08:10 PM

gx7 peaking - gh5 Dec 2013

Just when I was going to buy the GH3 this turns up, and I know you can't always wait till the next best thing comes, but things like peaking and zebra's are worth it, less noise etc (panasonic have already stated the GH3 can't do these things due to hardware restrictions) :

The Lumix DMC-GX7 is turning heads | Panasonic Blog

So now I wait till late Dec or early 2014 (hope its ok as this is from a blog taken from the Nippon Camera Speculation calander) :

Olympus / Panasonic roadmap for the year 2013 - Blog for mirrorless and premium compact cameras

Pete Carney August 15th, 2013 11:05 PM

Re: gx7 peaking - gh5 Dec 2013

I have the new G6 and the peaking really isn't nearly as good as one would think. Magic Lantern peaking on a Canon T3i is way, way, way, better. The touch screen zoom / focus assist works incredibly well and even better than peaking on any camera I've tried that has it.

While the G6 doesn't have zebra's it does have a "highlight" mode that makes all the blown highlights flash black with a white boarder where it's blown. Its quite useful and very similar to using zebra's.

In the end of the day, at some point you just need to buy something and go shoot. Buy a used Nex5n, t3i, gh2 or what ever and get filming. The camera really doesn't matter. It's about how you use it.

Waiting around for the next latest and greatest is a complete waste of time. If you already have one of the above, then the next iteration isn't going to make that much difference. It's amazing times we live in for filming. Don't waste it gonkulating over which cam to get next :)

Cheers,
Pete

Noa Put August 16th, 2013 03:45 AM

There always will be something better waiting for you at the end of the road :) I got the gh3 a few days ago and it does have some kind of zebra's (whatever is overexposed flashes but it's kind of distracting) and it can magnify a area on your lcd screen which you just need to touch for better focussing, I do find that more valuable and more precise than peaking, unless you are doing rackfocussing all the time. Jut get the gh3, it's a great camera, not perfect and with some shortcomings but that's what you get when trying to shoot video with a photocamera :)

Nigel Barker August 17th, 2013 01:55 AM

By all accounts the G6 is great value if you don't need the weatherproofing of the GH3. I am seriously tempted to buy one just to use for a locked off wide view with remote control from my iPhone.

If Olympus put decent video capabilities into the next generation OM-D then that could be a contender. The current OM-D is a really great stills camera with amazing in body image stabilisation & a good detailed video image that is let down by a poor 17Mbps CODEC for video & only having 1080@30p & 720@30p

Adam Letch August 17th, 2013 05:41 AM

agreed Pete, we must have a point where we say a camera is all we need, my professional video gear is a HD251e recording to Nanoflash. so for me the GH3 or 5 as it may eventually be will be my stills and video B roll camera, even though when using static shots the camera will leave the JVC for dead in quality and also in low light, plus 1080p, even though good 720p is still good!
When I use the full size camera peaking and white balance are your saviour, so its important for me to have these features. Having a weather proof body is also important as a lot of my work is in outback Australia and dust sealing is very important.
based on the GX7 preview reviews you can see on youtube now, it seams the new camera will be better in low light, with less noise, it'll also have in body stabilization as well as ois in the lens, this means all the manual lens options will be well served on the new GH5 or whatever it is they will call it.
Nigel the new OMD will be out next month, so it will be very interesting to see what they do, in some ways I believe its a better stills camera than the panasonic (no scientific basis to that statement, just seems Olympus put more emphasis on this side of the coin), it will be interesting to see if the video is brought up to scratch to the panasonic as its main contender.
So for me I can hold out till Dec, it may be in vain, but a dual purpose of my post is to let people know this new GX7 is out, and for what it is, it's quite a package, and gives hope for good things to come on the new GH.
Thanks for you input gentleman, all valid points, and I was going to buy a GH3 in the next week, but on retrospect, I've waited this long to make a decision, I can wait a few months more. Stay awesome guys!

Pete Carney August 18th, 2013 11:09 AM

Here's the coolest thing about all these m43 cams with the ETC function. They are totally stealth.

Here's my latest with the G6 and a 100-300mm at a 1500mm equiv focal length.

vimeo.com/72504298 Oracle Team USA AC72
vimeo.com/72229994 Emirates Team NZ AC72

If the in body IS is implemented for video of these things along with in lens IS on GH5 and future updates of the GX7, it could be even more amazing than it is now.

The idea that you can film such things in a cam and lens that weights less than 1kg is simply astonishing.

It will be very interesting to see if the GH5 adds in body IS for video.

Cheers,
Pete

Gabe Hoeffken August 20th, 2013 02:16 AM

Pete, cool videos nice and sharp. I have never seen boats like that before, do they race? I agree, take your camera and shoot stop gonkulating! (I think you made that word up, but it is fitting.)