DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   G6 time lapse question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/521672-g6-time-lapse-question.html)

Darren Ruddock February 15th, 2014 07:39 AM

G6 time lapse question

Hi guys,

Got a project coming up where I need to condense an hour into 15 minutes. My calculations on how to set the camera up for this depend on a few things. Haven't done much time lapse with this camera so I thought I'd try and pick your brains!

Firstly, does the g6 record literally one frame at a time? I have heard that some cameras (although this probably is more the case for dedicated video cameras) record at more than just one frame in time lapse mode.

Next, does the time limit for a single recorded shot apply here? I'm guessing probably not as the g6 does time lapse in stills mode rather than movie mode.

Lastly anyone got idea how much time lapse fits on a 32 gig card and I have two of the standard g6 batteries. Do I have enough power and media?

This project has been a bit last minute so I would have done more testing but time is an issue.

Many thanks for any feedback.

Darren Ruddock February 28th, 2014 01:13 PM

Re: G6 time lapse question

Seems I'm a G6 time lapse pioneer!

Oren Arieli February 28th, 2014 03:54 PM

I've been using the G6 for a while now, especially for timelapses. Here are some things you should be aware of.
1) Battery life- it's short. About 50 minutes in video recording mode. Not that you can directly calculate how much that would be for a timelapse. You need to do tests. I've done perhaps 2 hours of various timelapse projects on a single battery, but your results will vary based on your settings. You'll probably want to leave the WiFi off, and close the lcd to maximize battery life. Better yet, get the AC adapter and don't worry.
2) Your time limit is really your card + battery limit. If you're recording small JPEG stills on a 32GB card, you've got plenty of space to deal with. If you're recording RAW, then it will have to be a shorter timelapse.
3) I have three batteries, but you should avoid changing them during a timelapse. Not only will it result in a time gap, but you'll probably have to move the camera to access the battery.
Test, test and test some more. Every project is unique.

Darren Ruddock February 28th, 2014 05:33 PM

Thanks Oren,

Luckily I have a week extension before the shoot.

Will do some testing this weekend.

Fortunately the client wants 30 minutes down to around 5 now. More manageable. I have been thinking about a mains cable as a good investment anyhow.

Pete Carney February 28th, 2014 06:10 PM

Another thing to watch out for on the G6 is that you have everything set to manual including white balance. It moves all over on auto.

I've never do anything longer than 20 minutes or so and have no idea how much of the card it fills up or battery life.

Cheers,
Pete

Darren Ruddock March 1st, 2014 08:19 AM

Started testing today....actually I'm being time lapsed as I type!

I shot a fair bit of time lapse with my EX1, obviously totally different beast. I noticed in the G6 settings there is a "make time lapse from video" on the play back settings. Do you have to activate this option on your frames after the shot?

Another question slightly off topic......does anybody know how to changer the duration display when in movie mode? Currently, my G6 counts down the duration of each clip whist recording. I'd like to set it to show remaining time on the card. Is that possible?

Thanks again guys

Oren Arieli March 2nd, 2014 12:14 AM

You can stitch the frames together any time after the time lapse is completed. It doesn't have to be right away. You can also do it in post and get more granular control plus add deflicker filters and motion blur. I like to use the camera software for a quick review. Sometimes, that is good enough.

You can also shoot RAW, but that will fill up your card much faster. The G6 will still stitch them together, but to get more control, you'll want to take the stills into Lightroom or Bridge for processing.

Overall, it's a great little timelapse camera, but the battery life is substandard and I'd love to have an external battery option or a grip. I guess you have to step up to the GH3 for that functionality.

Darren Ruddock March 2nd, 2014 05:30 AM

The GH3 keeps tempting me. Some have been going for ridiculously cheap prices. I watched one that sold for £570 on Ebay, low shutter count too. Wonder what will happen to GH3 prices when the GH4 is released?

If I did go GH3 at some point I assume my stock G6 lens would work with the GH3?

Thanks again guys, great advice

Noa Put March 2nd, 2014 12:19 PM

It's all m4/3 lens mounts so if it fits your g6 it will fit the gh3/4 as well, don't think the gh3 is in any "danger, I got my gh3 body for 900 euro and there was a Dutch store that had the gh4 listed for 1500 euro when it was announced (but have it removed again from their offerings, I just checked), The price difference between the gh3 and gh4 seem to be enough to have a choice, if both would have the same prize nobody would buy a new gh3.

Darren Ruddock March 2nd, 2014 02:39 PM

Well GH3's are coming down all the time...just seen two go for less than 600 pounds on Ebay. Depends if GH3 users decide to opt for 4k I guess

Nigel Barker March 4th, 2014 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oren Arieli (Post 1834441)
1) Battery life- it's short. About 50 minutes in video recording mode.

I found that with non-Panasonic batteries. The Panasonic battery that came with the camera will record for much longer.