DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   GH5 Wish list (read for a tip on how to do dual audio on GH4!) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/526782-gh5-wish-list-read-tip-how-do-dual-audio-gh4.html)

Pierre Beranek February 6th, 2015 12:49 PM

GH5 Wish list (read for a tip on how to do dual audio on GH4!)

It's always fun to speculate on what's coming next, so here are some of the things that I really hope to see in the GH5:

1. Relocation of the Playback button to the right side of the body for single hand access (or at least allow the function to be mapped the Fn buttons)

2. Relocation of the headphone port to the AV OUT/DIGITAL port, or to the location of the flash remote port so that the LCD can be angled in any position, unhindered, while using earphones

3. Independent auto audio gain and manual control for each audio channel, Left and Right. I use a tiny channel splitter (Nexxtech Audio Separation Adapter | Other Cables & Accessories | Ratings & Reviews | TheSource.ca) to record 2 audio sources simultaneously and it works great, except when 1 of the 2 sources suddenly gets loud and my GH4 auto compensates on both the L and R channels instead of just the channel in question. For example, when recording live performances, I set the L channel to my wireless transmitter to record the music directly off the soundboard, and the R channel to my mini shotgun for ambiance (audience cheering, etc). If the audience suddenly bursts out in applause or someone shouts during a performance, my GH4 correctly compensates for the audio surge in the R channel, but unfortunately also dips the level of the L channel, resulting in an unwanted dip in the recorded music. Fixing this, advertising the new functionality and perhaps even providing a mini adapter in the box (or selling one separately) would set the GH5 as the first photo camera to allow proper recording of 2 separate audio channels!

4. 4k at 60fps

5. Ability to toggle the "Ex. Tele Conv." function on/off while recording. This would allow users to zoom in to a performance, for example, without breaking the recording of audio or sync with other cameras.

6. Intelligent flash pop-up button that doubles as a flash control when pressed again after the flash is already deployed. For example, pressing the button again could bring up the 'Flash Adjust.' settings

7. Option for Auto Electronic Shutter Off when flash is deployed. To save my shutter, I set my Electronic Shutter to 'on' for doing time-lapse photography. Unfortunately, it's a real pain to be unable to quickly take a flash photo on a whim because of this, requiring the user to find the 'Electronic Shutter' option in the menus and turn it off before the flash can fire. An intelligent auto setting would be extremely useful, whereby Electronic Shutter is automatically and temporarily set to 'off' while the flash is deployed!

8. 16MP sensor. Please don't add more pixels at the expense of low light performance! 16MP is the perfect balance of resolution (allowing 1:1 4k recording) and pixel size.

9. Custom Menu. Please add a custom menu tab to the menu, where users can add and sort any of their most commonly used menu items. The GH4 is all the better for having so many configurable menu settings, but this comes at the cost of difficulty to remember to location of specific items. Allowing users to bundle their most used settings in a single custom menu would be incredibly useful!

10. Relocate 'DISP.' button to avoid inadvertent presses. I can't remember how many times I've changed my display mode by accident while tightly gripping my GH4. This is a real pain! Please fix this problem by either: relocating the button (perhaps to the current location of the Playback button) or allowing the button to be disabled in the menu settings.

11. User selectable display settings. If a user only ever wants to toggle between 2 display settings, for example, why force them to toggle through all 5 options every time? A simple solution would be to allow users to turn unwanted display settings off in a new menu option.

12. Larger 3.5" LCD, or at least 3.2". Not sure if 3.5" could fit inside the current flip-out enclosure, but it sure would be nice.

I copied the text above from an email I sent to Panasonic's Senior Engineer, Mr. Robert Kozlarek. If you agree with any of the suggestions above, our only hope of seeing them is to speak up and let Panasonic hear us by contacting them. Mr. Kozlarek's response to several of the points I requested in past emails was that too few people are making the same requests for consideration. That doesn't mean these improvements aren't needed. It just means most users are too complacent and not vocal enough to bring issues to Panasonic's attention. Please do your part and let Panasonic know what you want to see in the upcoming GH5!

Agree? Disagree? See something missing in this list? Please share!

Bo Skelmose February 6th, 2015 01:49 PM

Re: GH5 Wish list (read for a tip on how to do dual audio on GH4!)

UHD at 50P would be great.Internal 10 bit recording on newer SD cards would be nice. Same case - Thats it!

Dylan Couper February 6th, 2015 01:58 PM

Can I add.... SUPER35 SENSOR to the list? :)

Gary Huff February 6th, 2015 02:46 PM

I definitely think that adding a second Venus engine to the GH5 should allow UHD 60p. I'd also like to see 1080 up to 120fps.

4K IPB at 200Mbps. All-I 4K up tp 30p at 400Mbps (Intra at 60P would need to be a whopping 1200Mbps to be worth doing...cannot really see that.) This might require sizing up the GH5 to a slightly larger body to accommodate CFast. That might also make it possible to add a second Venus engine.

422 internally at all recording options. The bitrate is already there for crying out loud.

With a second Venus engine, might be nice if that allows 10-bit and internal 8-bit recording simultaneously.

V-Log

Make the YAGH smaller so that it's more battery-grip-sized. Able to be powered internally by a Panasonic battery or, at the very least, a DC-in instead of 4-pin XLR as that is a ridiculously oversized connector. Right-angled DC-In to Power-Tap with a cable included in the purchase of the YAGH-2. 2 6G-SDI outs and a full-sized HDMI out. Make the YAGH-2 able to send a 12-bit raw video signal out to a Shogun for recording in CinemaDNG. This would require the YAGH-2 to have a larger connection base to the camera instead of the YAGH-1 which is just a simple HDMI->SDI converter box. In fact, if at all possible, the YAGH-2 should not connect to the side ports of the GH5 at all.

Internal guidelines to turn on for different aspect ratios.

C4K at 23.98, 4:3 crop modes for using anamorphics.

Bo Skelmose February 8th, 2015 04:49 AM

I would hate to have a super 35 sensor - for my use like tele and macro work, I do not need a shallow DOF. I have other cameras with super 35 sensor when that is needed and there are other fabrics making that - and please keep the MFT mount....

Gary Huff February 8th, 2015 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo Skelmose (Post 1876121)
I would hate to have a super 35 sensor

A Super 35-sized sensor and MFT are mutually exclusive. The GH5 would have to forgo its entire line of lenses if the sensor went that large.

Vincent Oliver February 8th, 2015 02:38 PM

The shallow DOF is so yesterday. Try watching a 4K film or even a 1080p and not be put off by the amount of out of focus shots. Shallow DOF is ok in small doses, but is so overused now, as are droneshots.

Bo Smith February 8th, 2015 06:53 PM

Shoulder Mount with a proper viewfinder, ND wheel, and Anton Bauer battery mount....4k, 60P, global shutter, etc...

Gary Huff February 8th, 2015 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo Smith (Post 1876181)
Shoulder Mount with a proper viewfinder, ND wheel, and Anton Bauer battery mount....4k, 60P, global shutter, etc...

I hope you're joking.

Vincent Oliver February 9th, 2015 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo Smith (Post 1876181)

Get a dedicated camcorder. The GH4 (3) is lightweight and portable, an ideal B roll camera for tight spots so why clutter it with all that scaffolding (shoulder mounts etc.)

Patrick Janka February 9th, 2015 07:27 PM

Pierre and Gary nailed it.

Bo Smith February 12th, 2015 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Huff (Post 1876188)
I hope you're joking.

Not Joking, I own two GH3's, soon to be sold for a GH4. I come from a shoulder mount background, and all that rigging to make a DSLR a proper camera is a pain.

I agree it's not the ideal camera for my main purpose or shooting style...just hoping for a bigger brother to have as an A-camera, and the smaller version for OTF's and steady cam...have to plant the seed for the companies to listen.

Gary Huff February 12th, 2015 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo Smith (Post 1876555)
all that rigging to make a DSLR a proper camera is a pain.

You can solve that problem by buying an actual video camera instead of a stills camera that happens to have video features.

Bo Smith February 15th, 2015 10:59 AM

If there was a thread to make requests for a proper m4/3 shoulder mount camera I'd make them there.
My apologies for hijacking the thread.

Gary Huff February 16th, 2015 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo Smith (Post 1876816)
If there was a thread to make requests for a proper m4/3 shoulder mount camera I'd make them there.

There is such a process as creating a thread. The issue wasn't that you wanted a micro four-thirds shoulder mount video camera. The problem is that you want a photographic stills orientated camera to be a shoulder mount video camera.

What about those who like the GH4 also for its stills side? A shoulder mounted photographic camera is a poor form factor when you want to take photos.