DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   GH4 Wi-Fi , Apple iPad or Macbook Air (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/531366-gh4-wi-fi-apple-ipad-macbook-air.html)

Ronald Jackson March 9th, 2016 10:20 AM

GH4 Wi-Fi , Apple iPad or Macbook Air

I understand that an iPad, with appropriate software ex Panasonic, can be used as a wireless video monitor as well as a wireless means of controlling the camera's functions.

I went to the Apple Store in Liverpool today to ask whether the latest MacBook Air could also operate via the GH4 Wi-Fi.

(An "Air" would be more useful to me as a computer than would a "Pad".)

Answer there was not, so I wonder whether anyone out there has experience of using a MacBook Air as a wireless video monitor via a GH4.

Ron

Gary Huff March 9th, 2016 11:46 AM

Re: GH4 Wi-Fi , Apple iPad or Macbook Air

Teradek Bolt and a Blackmagic Mini Recorder will do it for you.

Ronald Jackson March 10th, 2016 02:02 AM

Thanks Gary but I was asking about the MB Air. I have other uses for this, e.g. as a playback source for UHD video to a recently acquired UHD TV.
The iPad though a nicer image than the Air much more limited in the context of video. However if the Air won't perform as a wireless monitor then iPad it is (maybe).

Ron

Gary Huff March 10th, 2016 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronald Jackson (Post 1910633)
Thanks Gary but I was asking about the MB Air.

That is the solution for the MB Air.

Bryce Comer March 10th, 2016 03:26 PM

Ron,
I think the problem is that there is no Panasonic Image App for the desktop, only phone, tablet, Android etc. So there is no way of controlling the camera wirelessly like you can with a phone or tablet. If there was a desktop application then it would work without a problem, but alas, a program doesn't exist.
Regards,
Bryce

Ronald Jackson March 18th, 2016 09:47 AM

Had a go on a friends iPad today and it worked, as of course it ought to. I would need the 12.9 inch screen version as it seems impossible to play "full screen".

I think the trouble may be that Apple mobile devices use a different OS to their desktop and laptop computers.

I can't see an iPad doing much more for me than my iPhone and MBP apart from being a rather expensive wireless monitor.

Maybe it depends on Panasonic writing another version of their Wi-Fi app, one that works with Apple computers - I wouldn't hold my breath on that happening much this side of the next Preston Guild.

Ron

Fran Guidry March 18th, 2016 05:12 PM

There's a thread at Personal View about a tool to control Lumix WiFi cameras from a web browser:

Control your GH3 from a Web Browser - Now with video ! - Personal View Talks

Fran