First Impressions of the GH5 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old March 25th, 2017, 01:45 PM   #31
Inner Circle

Re: First Impressions of the GH5

Yes, I believe it means no extra crop in 4K
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2017, 05:41 PM   #32
Trustee

Yes just the 2x crop when shooting in 4k now. One for you though Ron, is the ability to punch in to 1.4x in 4k. I guess that's where they're taking the 4k image at 1:1 pixels off the sensor. Great for us wildlife guys!! It's the same as the Ex tele on the GH4 shooting 1080, but now on the GH5 shooting in 1080 the crop can be as much as 2.7x & like i mentioned, 1.4x in 4K, meaning the crop factor is 2.8x. It's on page 148 of the GH5 manual.
Old March 25th, 2017, 06:08 PM   #33
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Jackson View Post
"no crop" ? Surely the standard MFT 2x crop? Maybe no 4K 2.3X crop?

Ron
It is a micro 4/3 sensor in the camera. No crop in this instance means no crop within the sensor as many 4K Cameras impose. Though if one wishes to be pedantic, then technically it is still not true as the 16:9 ratio crops top and bottom. True of all dslr based sensors.
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2017, 12:55 PM   #34
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce Comer View Post
Yes just the 2x crop when shooting in 4k now. One for you though Ron, is the ability to punch in to 1.4x in 4k. I guess that's where they're taking the 4k image at 1:1 pixels off the sensor. Great for us wildlife guys!! It's the same as the Ex tele on the GH4 shooting 1080, but now on the GH5 shooting in 1080 the crop can be as much as 2.7x & like i mentioned, 1.4x in 4K, meaning the crop factor is 2.8x. It's on page 148 of the GH5 manual.
Goodoh. My GH5 is ready but a rather expensive couple of months what with a new clutch for my Defender and holiday breaks. Might wait and see what other new owners think. Will download the brochure though.

Ron
Ronald Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2017, 12:11 AM   #35
Major Player

Friend has just received his two new GH5s. Then finds his Metabones Canon EF to MFT Smart Adapter locks up with a GH5 and a EF mount lens in place.

Needs a Metabones firmware update apparently. Glad I didn't jump in first thing as nearly all my wildlife (birds) stuff is via a Sigma 150-600 and a "Smart Adapter".

Ron
Old March 27th, 2017, 07:04 AM   #36
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce Comer View Post
I am still not sure just what the effective magnification will be with this camera, despite studying the manual.

With my present EX3, I use a Nikon 80-200mm zoom. That gives a magnifiacation factor of 5.4x, due to the much smaller sensor than a 35 mm camera. So my "effective" focal length range is 440-1080 mm.

If I use that lens on my MFT Olympus body, it behaves as a 160-400 mm zoom would on a 35 mm camera, i.e. a magnification factor of 2x by virtue of the Sensor being larger than my EX3.

If I buy a GH5 body, and suitable adaptor and shoot in 4K, but process in HD 1080, would the overall magification factor be 2.7x, or is the in camera crop in addition to the 2x manification provided by the smaller sensor?

If it the latter, then fine, I have the same effective focal lengths as I do now. If the total magnification factor is just the camera quoted 2.7x, then disaster, my effective focal lengths are halved!

Could someone please clear this up for me?
Alan Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2017, 08:29 AM   #37
New Boot

Compared to 35mm format (a.k.a. full-frame)

The GH5 in 16:9 mode has 2.18x crop factor in both 1080 and 4K

The GH4 in 16:9 mode has a 2.18x crop factor in 1080 and a 2.4x crop factor in 4K (with a small difference between UHD and Cinema 4K settings, with the latter being slightly less cropped). The reason of the difference lies in the way Panasonic implemented the read-out from the sensor in 4k; the bigger cropping when switched between 1080 and 4k is quite common with other manufacturers too. The Gh5 is one of the few with no added crop in 4k.

The old GH1 and GH2 had the famous multi aspect sensor with a crop factor in 16:9 mode about 1.84x.

In still mode, when 4:3 aspect ratio is selected, the crop factor compared to the 35mm format is about 2x.
The 2.18x cropping in video mode is due to the necessity to derivate a 16:9 aspect ratio from a 4:3 native sensor so the reduced angle of view.
Gaetano Capolino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2017, 12:48 PM   #38
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Craven View Post
I am still not sure just what the effective magnification will be with this camera, despite studying the manual.

With my present EX3, I use a Nikon 80-200mm zoom. That gives a magnifiacation factor of 5.4x, due to the much smaller sensor than a 35 mm camera. So my "effective" focal length range is 440-1080 mm.

If I use that lens on my MFT Olympus body, it behaves as a 160-400 mm zoom would on a 35 mm camera, i.e. a magnification factor of 2x by virtue of the Sensor being larger than my EX3.

If I buy a GH5 body, and suitable adaptor and shoot in 4K, but process in HD 1080, would the overall magification factor be 2.7x, or is the in camera crop in addition to the 2x manification provided by the smaller sensor?

If it the latter, then fine, I have the same effective focal lengths as I do now. If the total magnification factor is just the camera quoted 2.7x, then disaster, my effective focal lengths are halved!

Could someone please clear this up for me?
So according to the manual, you can shoot with the standard 2x crop in 4k, or an additional 1.4x in ETC mode. This is cropping in to a 1:1 pixel aspect ratio. If you then use that footage on a 1080 timeline, you can zoom in to 100% effectively giving you a 5.6x crop. You can of course shoot in 1080 & use the ETC mode for the additional 2.7x over the 2x crop of the sensor giving 5.4x crop factor. Either way, yes you can get basically the same angle of view that you get with your EX3. I went from shooting an EX3 to the GH4 & love it!. Looking forward to getting the GH5 though for the 60p & slo-mo.
Old March 27th, 2017, 01:36 PM   #39
Major Player

Thank you Bryce, that is just the confirmation that I needed!

A combination of years and heart trouble is making my beloved EX3 outfit increasingly difficult to handle. A second interest is in still photography of alpine flowers, where I use an Olympus digital PEN with a 60 mm Macro lens. This lens would work with the new GH5, so I could end up with the one body fulfilling all my needs!
Alan Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2017, 09:01 AM   #40
Trustee

So what is everyone's impressions of the GH5 who have it? Still waiting to be notified when it is in stock here in Canada. Hoping to get the email soon though.
Old April 4th, 2017, 05:59 PM   #41
Trustee

I'm vary happy with mine. The AF has been the biggest pleasant surprise for me. IQ is excellent, but that's not a surprise.
Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2017, 09:49 PM   #42
Trustee

Still waiting here in Sydney, gota be soon?
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2017, 12:19 AM   #43
Major Player

Couple of things for me with mine which arrived yesterday.

First is that I CAN attach my Sigma 150-600 lens (I do wildlife) via its Metabones EF to MFT Smart Adapter.

As pointed out via YouTube vids, you attach the lens/adapter to the GH5. You hold down the little button on the Adapter while simultaneously switching the camera on. You can then zoom the lens (manually of course) without the GH5 "freezing". Then, to enable you to adjust the lens aperture via the GH5, you hold down the little button again, after which the aperture control unfreezes.
A bit of a nuisance but at least a work round until Metabones issue an appropriate firmware upgrade.

Second, again related to the big Sigma is that via shooting 4K (well UHD) 50p I can up the shutter speed to 1/100th as compared with my GH4s 1/50th at 25p. I can also wind the ISO down to ISO 100 (200 minimum on the GH4). This is sort of equivalent to a two stop ND filter on my Sigma/GH4 combi and because the Sigma does not, unlike its earlier brethren, have an internal 46mm filter slot, you're faced with either the near impossibility of getting a workable 105mm ND filter arrangement or having to stop the lens right down with the risk of diffraction issues when the sun is out bright and strong.

Ron

ps anyone want a GH4, cheapish?
Old April 5th, 2017, 01:58 AM   #44
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
The AF has been the biggest pleasant surprise for me.
In a positive or negative way? I just saw below video and the AF seems like unusable to me.

Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2017, 07:23 AM   #45
Inner Circle

Locked on as I understand it is that it stays on the subject that one focuses on when the start button is pressed. Intended to avoid things moving in front of it in this mode and it should not change ie refocus. It stays " locked on " when the camera is moved around so of course it will not refocus as one has told it to stay locked on to the intitial subject.. The shot with the car around 18mins clearly demonstrates this well or even with the reviewer moving the lens in front of his face ? Clearly does not understand locked on purpose. The autofocus is clearly complicated and would need to change based on what is required. Will find out when mine comes around the 14 April.
Ron Evans is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series