First Impressions of the GH5 - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old April 8th, 2017, 02:44 AM   #76
Major Player

Re: First Impressions of the GH5

Hi everybody, so far great impressions on 10 bit Vlog colorimetry, quite flexible.

Oleg Kalyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2017, 02:51 PM   #77
Regular Crew

Can you share your 10bit video settings? Would like to see if there is anything quirky about mine that might be causing the compression artifacts I'm seeing in FCP. Thanks!
Steven Schuldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2017, 11:33 AM   #78
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Burkett View Post
Well to my utter surprise, I got mine delivered literally an hour before I was heading off to a Wedding yesterday in Essex. Mind it was a close call. I got the call Thursday at 7pm to take payment. Asked for an AM next day service and then the delivery van broke down Friday first thing, so was advised of some delay. A frantic call to the delivery firm and they were kind to make me first visit of the day once they were running.

If I made one of those awful unboxing videos, it would have lasted 30 seconds. Long enough to confirm all was there before it was packed with my gear. Started using it as soon as I arrived for the Wedding. Couldn't wait. :)

First impressions. Love having auto ISO with manual (finally), love 4K at 50p which I used for the Brides entrance, confetti, reception entrance and first dance. Definitely smoother auto focusing when in 50p. Much heavier to hold. Menus took some time to get use to. Literally finding my preferred settings on the fly, though my experiences with the GH4 and GX80 helped there.
The new custom menu is great, laying down my most used menu items in 1 place. Battery drains faster than the GH4, but that's to be expected.

And no crop. Much improved on the GH4. I'm now travelling to Ireland for another Wedding today and then will spend a few days visiting, so hope to become more familiar with it and have a tonne of footage by the time I return. However yesterday was a great start. Bit more a baptism by fire than I had with the GH4, but it held up well.
Steve - did you find out why your lcd looked soft? Compared to the gh4 I agree completely that it looks softer, hoping that was just a setting I have not played with yet. Anyone else feel the same?
Old April 10th, 2017, 01:08 PM   #79
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Whelan View Post
Steve - did you find out why your lcd looked soft? Compared to the gh4 I agree completely that it looks softer, hoping that was just a setting I have not played with yet. Anyone else feel the same?
I think its just how the LCD is. Perhaps as I have sharpness turned down on the image, its better reflecting that. I shall have another look in the settings and see if there's something I can do to beef the display up a bit.
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2017, 11:52 PM   #80
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Schuldt View Post
Can you share your 10bit video settings? Would like to see if there is anything quirky about mine that might be causing the compression artifacts I'm seeing in FCP. Thanks!

Steven, Hi.
I had a Slog setting default, and converted it to Prores 444, no compression artefacts, which I noticed also converting to 422.
Old April 11th, 2017, 11:57 PM   #81
Major Player

The Phone, short GH5. 10 and 8 bit scenes included.

also in youtube
Old April 12th, 2017, 01:33 PM   #82
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Burkett View Post
I think its just how the LCD is. Perhaps as I have sharpness turned down on the image, its better reflecting that. I shall have another look in the settings and see if there's something I can do to beef the display up a bit.
I was told the monitor on the gh4 shows more aliasing so maybe that was actually helping with the focusing. I have found doing the following definitely helps:

lowering the contrast all the way down on the monitor and also lowering the brightness by one or 2 clicks. I have also set the monitor luminance to 1, the brightest instead of auto. Seems to definitely help to me anyway.
Old April 15th, 2017, 03:11 AM   #83
Regular Crew

Hi,

I'm going to buy this camera (probably) replacing my old hv30. As i'm going in the new world my choice is actually the bundle kit with leica lens.

my question is if the gh5 is suitable for animal / nature "hunting" like delphins, whales or in general fast scenes (many years ago I was in namibia and remained very impressed by a lions start run).

thanks

PS: will you so brave to put the gh5 out of the sailboat to get stunnig images?
Ugo Merlini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2017, 04:33 PM   #84
Inner Circle

Max Yuryev just uploaded his video where he together with PhotoJoseph did some extensive testing on the GH5 autofocus capabilities and what I see is still borderline usable, it could work in repeatable shots but I never would use it for shots where you only get one chance to get it right, like with every wedding I shoot. It's clear the autofocus has been improved over the GH4 so I see that as something positive but for me it unfortunately would not be usable.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2017, 05:26 PM   #85
Inner Circle

I have had my GH5 for a week now. First thing I did was compare autofocus to my Sony camcorders and to me it performs much the same with Custom OFF as they discovered. Just slightly slower but not noticeable. Got confused by the same things the camcorders do so no surprise. The GH5 has the advantage of specifying the area that it will look at to auto focus on and that area can be moved around with the joystick right next to your thumb. Can also be jogged into to resetting what it wants to focus on by pressing the shutter button as Max said. I will not use continuous auto focus in my use so interesting but not something of great importance to my application. I also find the WiFi app really good.
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2017, 03:06 AM   #86
Inner Circle

Now we know what to expect from the autofocus it's time to move on, I for one am most exited about it's ability to preset 3 focuspoints and then to do controlled focus pulls by tapping the corresponding numbers on screen. I see this as very valuable while covering a ceremony from a fixed location, I can now preset focus on the readers at the lectern, the priest at his altar and the position where the couple is standing for the vows and while panning between them nail my focus every single time with a perfect repeatable focus transition. Or just use it to perform a perfect rack focus between objects.
Old April 16th, 2017, 06:18 AM   #87
Inner Circle

Must be careful if you are using one of the zooms not to zoom after setting the points. The zooms are not farfocal and the settings will be lost if you zoom. Just pan to set the points and it should work fine. Or if you shoot 4K and they are all in the full wide shot it works great.
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2017, 07:20 AM   #88
Inner Circle

Yeah I know, focal length can't change once it's set but still a highly usable feature.
Old April 16th, 2017, 03:52 PM   #89
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
Yeah I know, focal length can't change once it's set but still a highly usable feature.
Focus shifts do not look so great if there is focus breathing (small shift in perspective when the focus changes). Has anyone checked how bad this is on any of the (still) photography lenses (Lumix and others) used on mft cameras?
Mark Rosenzweig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2017, 04:42 PM   #90
Inner Circle

That's a limitation of the lens, not the camera, I don't mind the breathing as long as I can nail focus.
Noa Put is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series