Panasonic GH5 firmware requests - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old May 5th, 2017, 01:07 PM   #16
Trustee

Re: Panasonic GH5 firmware requests

Hi Phil, once I lock in the exposure it stays the same in photo mode.
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2017, 01:50 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Simon, my understanding is that the photo mode and video mode are totally separate in the camera. You can set the custom modes, C1 etc to be either I have mine set for video. However I think that if the control is not set at creative video and one starts recording video with the top video red button when the control knob is on a photo setup then one is in automatic video recording. Exposure shift is still available but I think the other parameters are in automatic. If the button is pressed while control is set at creative video then the menu will control the setup. This video from Panasonic describes the functions.

Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2017, 02:06 PM   #18
Trustee

Yep, totally agree with you and the video from Panasonic however, I have exposure locked and not moving/changing when I have the AF/AE Lock button on the back engaged, this will hold those auto settings.
Old May 5th, 2017, 02:11 PM   #19
Trustee

So the setup is this.
I'm in photo mode on S, my S/shutter setting is 50 (PAL) the rest is auto, auto ISO, Fstop and I use the AE shift which I under expose by a 3rd.

Now I'm able to stay in this mode and let the camera settle down with exposure, when I think it has it right I can then push the AF/AE Lock button on the back so all the settings are now locked in, press the RED record button and shoot video, nothing changes with exposure until I realise the AF/AE Lock button on the back again.

You have to setup the AF/AE Lock button in the menu to AE Lock.

Hope that makes sense.
Old May 5th, 2017, 02:27 PM   #20
Inner Circle

I have not tried this but I think what you have done is just lock the AE with the button. You have no control now if you need to make changes while recording, I expect if you release the button to make any changes then the camera will revert to full auto operation. I want shutter priority with continued control from me while recording and this I think is only possible when in the creative video mode. In fact the way I have it set up now is using the WiFi application and camera is in manual with auto ISO with AE shift.
Old May 5th, 2017, 02:47 PM   #21
Trustee

Yep, that's right Ron, when the AE button is locked in no further changes can be made until you unlock this button.

I just want to add that locking exposure is what I'm after although I want to see what the camera wants first, reason is if I'm on the street and I see a shot I need to act quickly and in manual some times I'm not fast enough to grab a basic exposure like I can in auto from the camera.
Old May 5th, 2017, 04:19 PM   #22
Inner Circle

My situation is different in the theatre I want the shutter to be fixed to match the other cameras and I may want to use AE shift as lighting changes by scene. So fixed is no good for me. I would just like to see if I am in the ranges I expect and of course do see this on all my Sony camcorders. The WIFi app is working well. Would be great I could see all the parameters including audio levels !!!
Old May 7th, 2017, 08:34 PM   #23
Trustee

Please Panasonic, I know you want to sell allot of XLR adapters,....but PLEASE allow a greater range of audio level control on the GH5. Currently, the GH5 is crippled at a maximum level reduction of -12db. Please remove that limit and allow us to lower it much further for loud sounds like concerts and things like that.

The GH5's internal mics seem to sound pretty darn good. Just don't cripple them with an extremely limited gain reduction control. (Sony doesn't do that to sell more of their XLR adapters)

CT
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2017, 11:48 PM   #24
New Boot

I have another firmware request:
It would be great to see the Kelvin number after manual white balance on a white slate or grey card. This way a quick match between different cameras on set would be much easier.
Tobias Meinken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2017, 12:03 AM   #25
Trustee

I found another that I would like.

Please make the audio mappable to an FN button.

Cheers, S
Old May 18th, 2017, 12:11 AM   #26
Trustee

I forgot, here's another one that I would like.

When in photo mode "S" and you want to lock in AE while recording a movie.

The bug for me is this, I can't lock in AE before pressing the record button, I have to press the record button then lock in AE. If I lock in AE pre record and then press record, the AE turns off, rather annoying.

Thanks
Old May 18th, 2017, 12:12 AM   #27
Trustee

Plus one in the -12db audio also.
Old May 18th, 2017, 01:49 AM   #28
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias Meinken View Post
It would be great to see the Kelvin number after manual white balance on a white slate or grey card. This way a quick match between different cameras on set would be much easier.
My jvc ls300 can do that which makes it so much easier to dial in the kelvin on my other camera's, if I"m shooting with my Panasonics only I have to manually whitebalance every single camera which can be problematic if your short on time. You can always ask for such a change but I have a feeling Panasonic intentionally leaves out functionality that is supposed to be on a videocamera. Maybe it eventually be possible in a GH6 or maybe a videocamera with interchangeable lenses to complement the gh5 will be announced that does have this functionality. They need to give you reasons why to buy another camera :)
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2017, 09:16 AM   #29
Major Player

Hi

As has been mentioned in another thread here, the [DISP] button is all too easily pressed by accident, needing several more presses to cycle back round to the desired setting.

It would be great if this button could be disable or locked in the settings or given the option for a fairly long press before it registers and changes the setting in order to stop brief accidental presses.

Ideally it should be a long press to cycle to the next setting then it responds to normal presses in order to quickly cycle around, then after a few seconds if not pressed again it goes back to needing a long press again to wake the button up.

Regards

Phil
Phil Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2017, 04:34 PM   #30
Regular Crew

VFR - options between 2fps and 12fps... 4 then, 6 or 8fps could be nice.
Harry Pallenberg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series