DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   GH5 for video documentaries: some questions please. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/535138-gh5-video-documentaries-some-questions-please.html)

Mark Rosenzweig January 2nd, 2018 10:36 PM

Re: GH5 for video documentaries: some questions please.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryan Worsley (Post 1940065)
And in Shutter Priority mode at 1/60sec (at least the Baseball one) according to your Comment under the video.

Correct. The built-in ND filters were essential.

Bryan Worsley January 3rd, 2018 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Evans (Post 1940046)
Resolve Studio also enables better use of any GPU's in the system and playback is considerably improved. Has a lot of other features not in the free version too. Definitely worth the price.

Granted, Noise Reduction would probably be the first standard node in a grade of log 4K footage coming off these cameras, the Pana GH5 included ;>) but the free version is more than adequate for my present needs - mostly post-edit grading of HD material - I use other methods for noise reduction and deinterlacing as and when required. Thing about the Studio version also is that there is no fully featured trial mode for download and BMD have no plans to change that - they view the free version as the trial version. My advice for anyone who has not used Resolve before would be to do just that - try the free version first and if you like it and have need of these premium features, go for the Studio version.

Yes you need the Studio version for import of the native Pana GH5 10-bit 422 clips, but you can always pre-transcode to an acceptable intermediate 10-bit 422 input format - Grass Valley HQX included.

Bear in mind also that the quality of Resolve's native H264 encoder is nothing to write home about, so you need to export in an intermediate format for encoding externally with x264, or whatever. GPU-accelarated H265/HEVC export is now available but only in the Studio version - I have no perspective on the quality. Perhaps Ron does ? Resolve is heavily GPU processor dependent and Adriano would need to ensure that his hardware is up to it, especially for native 4K/50p processing. Edius is much less demanding on hardware - probably the most CPU-efficient 'pro-level' NLE out there.

Bryan Worsley January 3rd, 2018 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Rosenzweig (Post 1940067)
Correct. The built-in ND filters were essential.

Right, which makes for a consistent 'filmic' ('near 180 deg. shutter angle') motion blur, in theory - as far as one can apply these mechanical concepts to contemporary digital image processing.

What about the other 'Dancers of Shenzhen' video ?

Mark Rosenzweig January 3rd, 2018 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryan Worsley (Post 1940081)
Right, which makes for a consistent 'filmic' ('near 180 deg. shutter angle') motion blur, in theory - as far as one can apply these mechanical concepts to contemporary digital image processing.

What about the other 'Dancers of Shenzhen' video ?

Same, 1/60th shutter, use of ND when necessary.

Bryan Worsley January 3rd, 2018 01:16 PM

Thought so. Thanks.

Ron Evans January 3rd, 2018 04:14 PM

Unfortunately Brian, neither the free version of Resolve that I used for over a year or my current Studio version sees EDIUS HQX or HQ files. If you have found a way I would love to know as I use HQX to go between Vegas and EDIUS as 8.5WG is my main editor.

Biggest change I saw when moving to Studio was a substantial performance increase. I have yet to use any of the extra features but do intend to use the face recognition and colour management feature. Lots of info to look at the differences so working with the free will give most of the work flow to a user. Studio is just faster and a few more feature but for $299 is a steal I think.

EDIT I should clarify HQX .avi will not be seen by Resolve but the Quicktime version of HQ and HQX .mov will tranfer just fine. Not sure if you need Quicktime on your PC for this to work I do but many have removed Quicktime from their PC's.

Bryan Worsley January 3rd, 2018 05:24 PM

Your edit bumped my reply; yes, you're right you need to remux as .mov files. I don't use Edius - only ran the trial - and I'd have to install the GV Canopus codecs again to encode some HQX files (outside of Resolve, using VirtualDub FilterMod) to test. IIRC, when I checked this out a while back I used ffmpeg to rewrap the avi encodes to mov. Straightforward enough with the CLI:

ffmpeg -i {Directory Path}/File_Name.avi -vcodec copy -acodec copy {Directory Path}/File_Name.mov

Edit: And I'm pretty sure there are ffmpeg front-end 'converters' out there that give that option - not sure which, don't use them myself. VirtualDub_FilterMod will do it also (using direct stream copy):

https://sourceforge.net/projects/vdfiltermod/

Actually I do have Quicktime 7.7.8 on my PC (Win 10, 64-bit) installed with a custom installer:

https://tommynation.com/install-quicktime-windows-10/

Adriano Moroni January 4th, 2018 10:54 AM

Does someone is using Zhiyun Crane with a camera or videocamera? Do you think it is an important option to make videos?

Mark Rosenzweig January 4th, 2018 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adriano Moroni (Post 1940121)
Does someone is using Zhiyun Crane with a camera or videocamera? Do you think it is an important option to make videos?

Yes.

You can mimic slider shots.

You can mimic dolly shots.

You can follow subjects around.

You can handhold for static shots with zero shake, like you had a tripod.

A gimbal expands your video quality more than any difference across cameras can.

Paul Cronin January 4th, 2018 11:56 AM

Nice Mark,

Is that with the Zhiyun Crane V2
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...2855/KBID/3801

Looking at adding this to my on the way GH5.

Mark Rosenzweig January 4th, 2018 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Cronin (Post 1940124)
Nice Mark,

Is that with the Zhiyun Crane V2
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home/BI/2855/KBID/3801

Looking at adding this to my on the way GH5.

Thanks. No, the Crane M, for smaller cameras. Ziyun gimbals are very good. Excellent battery life is key, so you dont have to worry about power.

Paul Cronin January 4th, 2018 12:15 PM

Got it, I am still deciding on the best option but the one above looks nice for the GH5.

Getting nailed in Rhode Island, how is New Haven? Lived in Madison years ago.

Adriano Moroni January 4th, 2018 12:21 PM

I think it is good:
https://www.amazon.it/Zhiyun-Handhel...s=crane+gimbal
In your opinion can I use the gimbal in amost 100% of my shots?
I have just noticed it is hard to use the LCD screen of the camera when you use it.

Mark Rosenzweig January 4th, 2018 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Cronin (Post 1940126)
Got it, I am still deciding on the best option but the one above looks nice for the GH5.

Getting nailed in Rhode Island, how is New Haven? Lived in Madison years ago.

Locked in too, but I escaped this morning by train - to Philadelphia!

Paul Cronin January 4th, 2018 12:23 PM

Thanks Adriano, for the input. It does look like a nice option at a decent price.

Mark, good move. We are already up to 3' drifts with another 15 hrs of snow. Ah, New England.