DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   How are the detais in the Shadows on GH5s Low-Light? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/535471-how-detais-shadows-gh5s-low-light.html)

Arthur Abramov February 25th, 2018 11:17 PM

How are the detais in the Shadows on GH5s Low-Light?

Hi there,

I'm considering upgrading my gear, now days i use C100mkii. Most of my work is for Broadcast. Usually i don't interfere the natural scenery so no external lights used.

The GH5s might be the camera for me. Can someone enlighten me with the real capabilities of the low-light by GH5s?

So is the sound recording via XLR? Is it reliable?

Batteries, how long will they last. I'm using a Rode NTG-3 with Phantom 48/24 v. So considering all that.
I need at least 6-7 hours of work.

Good luck,
Thanks

Noa Put February 26th, 2018 03:14 PM

Re: How are the detais in the Shadows on GH5s Low-Light?

I never timed my gh5 battery use but it feels like it goes twice as fast through it's batteries compared to my gh4, I found this test which comfirmed my feeling: GH5 GH5 Battery Run-Down Tests...

If you use the xlr adaptor and if it has to supply your mike with phantompower expect it to drain much faster but I would expect you'd still get at least an hour min out of one battery depending if you use IBIS.

The xlr adapter is made for the gh5 so I'd expect it to be reliable.

There are already several lowlight videos online which could help to determine how the low light is, from what I have seen it retains color much better at high iso (3200iso+) compared to the gh5 and seems to be on par with a sony a6500 in low light performance.

Jack Zhang February 26th, 2018 08:13 PM

Be careful with using the XLR adapter for extended shoots where the files have to be split. Panasonic has been notorious for not splitting files with gapless audio. There will be a 1 second audio gap between split files.

Noa Put February 27th, 2018 02:43 AM

That's the first I hear about that, is that related to when using the xlr adapter only? and is it caused during relayrecording?

edit: I found this thread about the xlr adapter as Ron Evans has one which he uses for long continuous recording and he seems to have no issue with 1 second audiogaps, not even with relay recording, so I'm curious where you are getting your info from?: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasoni...oblem-gh5.html

Jack Zhang March 2nd, 2018 11:24 PM

Past experience with Panasonic cameras have always had this issue. It's not XLR adapter specific, it's to do with how the camera splits takes.

Cary Knoop March 2nd, 2018 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Zhang (Post 1941762)
Be careful with using the XLR adapter for extended shoots where the files have to be split. Panasonic has been notorious for not splitting files with gapless audio. There will be a 1 second audio gap between split files.

This is a non-issue for the GH5 and even for cameras before this. Actually I have never even heard of this problem.

Gary Huff March 3rd, 2018 01:07 AM

The problem is not using Media Browser in Premiere to import clips, nothing to do with the camera, and only with AVCHD modes.

Noa Put March 3rd, 2018 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Zhang (Post 1941871)
Past experience with Panasonic cameras have always had this issue. It's not XLR adapter specific, it's to do with how the camera splits takes.

You are not importing the files right, not sure what NLE you use but when I use Edius own source browser and import avchd files from a longer continuous record (which are split into different files) then Edius stiches these split files together without the loss of any audioframe.

Pete Cofrancesco March 3rd, 2018 08:19 AM

I remember there was once this sort of gap issue but I think it was due to how windows interpreted split files on smaller sd cards that used fat 32 instead of exfat. You had to concatenate them in the dos.

Ron Evans March 3rd, 2018 08:56 AM

This issue was true of most AVCHD cameras if people just pulled the files off the cards rather than using a proper transfer software. Consumer camcorders did not sync recording of audio and video so when files split with FAT32 ( all AVCHD ) then the data for this difference was in the metadata files. So if someone just moved the video files over they would be in error. I never had any of these problems as I always used the manufacturers software to transfer files. Didn't take any longer as the transfer time is more dependent on the card etc.

The GH5 files are formatted exFAT so do not split unless one has a long record time and transfer from card 1 to card 2. In this case the camera closes the files correctly and there is no problem. The only audio issue with Panasonic is that audio starts about 7 frames after the video. It is in sync just starts late !!!

Gary Huff March 3rd, 2018 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Cofrancesco (Post 1941881)
I remember there was once this sort of gap issue but I think it was due to how windows interpreted split files on smaller sd cards that used fat 32 instead of exfat. You had to concatenate them in the dos.

Don't ever do this.

Ron Evans March 3rd, 2018 01:54 PM

This my understanding of sync issues. Consumer cameras do not generally have their video and audio clocks locked together. They tend to float within the spec. Their specs are usually something like if the audio is within 1/3 of a frame for the corresponding video it is fine !!! . So one can now see the problem when video is the controlling parameter the audio for the last ( or first ) frame of video could be part of another file. Depending on how the files are closed one can have an extra piece of audio or lack of audio !!! Just joining them together in dos often leads to audio glitches. The manufacturers, or some NLE software reads this metadata and joins files correctly.

Arthur Abramov April 13th, 2018 12:45 AM

Guys, thank you for your comments. But i was also asking about the details in the shadows of the GH5s.

Please who ever had an experience in the online process please comments and share your thoughts, i really need a real world opinion.

Ron Evans April 13th, 2018 06:20 AM

The GH5S has VlogL installed so with that you can get all the detail in the shadows you want. Of course this means grading to get back to rec709. I sense my GH5S is maybe 2 stops faster than my GH5 so to get that detail in the shadows one has to be careful to not clip highlights. Plenty of profiles to do that. For my theatre shoots I tried GH5S with VlogL and the GH5 with Like709 profile. They match close when GH5S is graded. I think I will not bother with VlogL for my application and just run both at Like709. Like709 is likely the smallest Dynamic Range but has knee control just like other camcorders to control highlights. This is the issue in the theatre with mainly dark scenes but spot highlights.

Cliff Totten April 13th, 2018 10:43 AM

I dont have my GH5 in front of me but make sure to check the "master pedestal" setting.

On mine the default was pretty low making blacks look crushed. I raised it to put blacks at around zero. This doesn't change what the sensor is actually "seeing" but it does change where the shadows are placed in the scopes. It has a strong affect on the "look" of your shadows.

Play with it and tell me what you think.

CT