100 ASA or 400 ASA in sunny days - video? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old April 27th, 2018, 01:27 PM   #1
Major Player

100 ISO or 400 ISO in sunny days - video?

Hi, with my GH5 I made some tests in sunny days with 100 ISO and I noticed a better video quality with more details. But I don't know what could it happen when I wil have to use the camera for more important jobs. What is your opinion? What problem could I get shooting in 100 ISO in sunny days? Thanks

Last edited by Adriano Moroni; April 27th, 2018 at 10:37 PM.
Adriano Moroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2018, 01:44 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: 100 ASA or 400 ASA in sunny days - video?

Not exactly sure what you are asking...
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2018, 02:18 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriano Moroni View Post
What problem could I get shooting in 100 ASA in sunny days
Loss of dynamic range. Set your camera to 400 ISO (ASA does not apply to digital cameras and even ISO is simply an approximation) and compensate with ND filters on the front of the lens.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2018, 10:38 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
Not exactly sure what you are asking...
Sorry, I write my question again after modifying some words:
with my GH5 I made some tests in sunny days with 100 ISO and I noticed a better video quality with more details. But I don't know what could it happen when I wil have to use the camera for more important jobs. What is your opinion? What problem could I get shooting in 100 ISO in sunny days? Thanks
Old April 28th, 2018, 12:05 AM   #5
Major Player

If you can find out the "native" ISO of your sensor, it is better to shoot at that when possible, it is its as-near-to-perfect as possible setting. 100 ISO should be less noisy than 400 ISO, but it depends on how 100 is achieved by the camera.
Dave Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2018, 02:59 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Huff View Post
Loss of dynamic range. Set your camera to 400 ISO (ASA does not apply to digital cameras and even ISO is simply an approximation) and compensate with ND filters on the front of the lens.
I have just read in another forum 200 ISO has the same dynamic range of 400 ISO on GH5. It you don't use a log profile it is better to use 200 ISO than 400 ISO.
Old May 1st, 2018, 03:13 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Why is it better?
Old May 2nd, 2018, 01:05 AM   #8
Major Player

It is better for a better video quality. I made same test 100 ISO vs 400 ISO. The quality is better about definition.
Old May 2nd, 2018, 02:26 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Are you sure all camera settings, except iso, where exactly the same when you did test 200 vs 400iso? 200 vs 400iso should not have any effect on the detail you see in your image, difference in f-stop can, like when you would shoot at f0,95 vs f4 on a voigtlander lens f0,95 would look a lot softer then f4, also the further you close down the iris diffraction can occur also making the image softer.
Old May 2nd, 2018, 03:33 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
Are you sure all camera settings, except iso, where exactly the same when you did test 200 vs 400iso? .
I made a test 100 ISO vs 400 ISO. I used the GH5 with "S" profile, therefore in semi-automatic option.
Shooting in 100 ASA I had to notice a softer image for the larger aperture but I noticed a prettier picture about definition.
Old May 2nd, 2018, 04:08 AM   #11
Inner Circle

My guess is that a changed f-stop caused some diffraction leading to a softer image, that is what you can get if you let the camera handle exposure. Where you using a nd-filter?

Was the camera in manual or autofocus?
Old May 2nd, 2018, 07:30 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Shooting in 100 ASA I had to notice a softer image for the larger aperture but I noticed a prettier picture about definition.
Those two things are mutually exclusive. A softer image does not mean you get a better picture when it comes to definition. What do you mean exactly?
Old May 2nd, 2018, 07:54 AM   #13
Major Player

Did I wrote badly? I mean: if I use 100 ISO with S profile I have to get a software image because GH5 uses a larger aperture, instead I got it a better image with better definitions.
Old May 2nd, 2018, 10:46 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Quote:
Did I wrote badly? I mean: if I use 100 ISO with S profile I have to get a software image because GH5 uses a larger aperture, instead I got it a better image with better definitions.
What do you mean by S profile? Vlog L? Or are you adding your own S curve? You should not do that.

And you were talking about ISO 200, not 100. 400 is the native ISO of the camera, below that is what used to be known as "negative gain". 400 ISO will give you the maximum quality of the sensor, but will have nothing to do with resolved detail. That will be in your lens. I assume what you're doing is stopping it down significantly. You should be at f/4 ideally. All the time. With any lens. On the m43 system. I would never stop down below f/8. If you need to to expose properly, you need to invest in Neutral Density filters.
Old May 2nd, 2018, 12:23 PM   #15
Major Player

With S profile I mean in semi-automatic mode. Hovewer I will verify better if I get f/8. I made many clips with 200 ISO and 400 ISO. 200 ISO clips are very better.

Last edited by Adriano Moroni; May 2nd, 2018 at 02:24 PM.
Adriano Moroni is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series