DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   GH5 and .mov / QT Player Failure (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/535980-gh5-mov-qt-player-failure.html)

Russ Gutshall June 21st, 2018 03:11 PM

GH5 and .mov / QT Player Failure

Greetings -- so I just got my new Pan GH5 (yah - late to the party !) and when trying to open a .mov video file (4K - 150mbps - 4:2:0) - ERROR window - "file may not be .mov/video file - file corrupted ?" - BRICK WALL - Ouch ! And yet file will open in VLC Player. Found this strange - as my GH4 (same settings) .mov files - AND EVA1 files (also .mov) open just fine in QT 10.4 version. This was tested on 3 different SDXC cards - as I thought all 3 cards were bad ? -- thankfully THAT was disproved !

So - I figure no way to import into Final Cut 10 and edit. BUT - I can import to FC - all looks good and file opens onto timeline, etc. So - called Panasonic - they stated - "Gh4 and Gh5 write the same flavor of .mov - so it must be Apples QT fault - maybe your MacBook Pro ?" Some big box store in NY - while I waited on the phone - did a quick test and discovered the SAME THING - QT would not open GH5 .mov files ! Their diagnosis and hypothesis was that GH5 .mov file is "not" the same flavor between GH4 and GH5 - maybe not the EVA1 either.

Anybody out there experience same thing ? Would love any feedback/input - hope this is not rehashing some old thread -sorry if it is --

AND - is there any way - to truly SET - quality settings for photos ? Every time I choose quality settings - hit set - turn camera off - turn it back on later - my RAW settings have disappeared and all I can shoot is jpegs - unless I do settings all over again ! - strange - or standard operating procedures ? Crap !

Ronald Jackson June 23rd, 2018 08:46 AM

Re: GH5 and .mov / QT Player Failure

Apple QuickTime Player won't play 10 bit 4K/UHD files from a GH5. My Macs/QT Player play 8bit files without problems.

Ron

Ron Evans June 23rd, 2018 09:42 AM

I only shoot video with my GH5 and GH5S but I think you should be able to store your settings in the custum settings just like I do for video. Set up things like you want then select the wrench menu, custom settings and assign to either c1, c1, c3 etc. You can then go straight to those by selecting on the dial. Works for video you may want to try for stills. Can''t help on the Mac either as I am PC and most of my editors will play GH5 files though 10 bit are an issue.

John Hedgecoe June 23rd, 2018 09:36 PM

GH5 150Mbps files are 10bit 4:2:2, not 4:2:0 as you state. My guess is that QT cannot play 10bit 4:2:2 files. My media player won't play them either, but VLC will.

Ron Evans June 24th, 2018 06:29 AM

GH5 and GH5S can record UHD60P or 30P at 150 Mbps 4:2:0 8 bit or UHD30P 150 Mbps 10 bit 4:2:2. GH5S has more recording choices than the GH5. You can record externally from the HDMI in UHD60P 10bit 4:2:2 but then there will be no internal recording. You have lots of choices 8 or 10bit. 10bit GH5 files are difficult for a lot of systems to playback. For instance the Resolve free will not play them but Resolve Studio will.