DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   Is it better a monopod or tripod to make videos? I already have a gimbal (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/536064-better-monopod-tripod-make-videos-i-already-have-gimbal.html)

Adriano Moroni July 19th, 2018 06:34 AM

Is it better a monopod or tripod to make videos? I already have a gimbal

Hello, I almost decided, I will buy the Benro IT15 for my GH5 but before making the purchase I would like your opinion. I remember that I need the lightest tripod possible, I don't take pictures but only videos. If there are important differences I will be able to evaluate the acquiring of the other Benro. But I like the Benro IT15 because it doesn't have the knobs to stretch the legs. I believe that if you want to open a tripod as quickly as possible the knobs are not too suitable.

My questions: what should I do to shoot with the Benro IT15? I think it's a tripod to take pictures and not for video. So I should buy a lever to handle the GH5? Or what else? I repeat: even if the head is not very fluid it's ok because I will do panning with the gimbal and with the tripod I will mostly do fixed videos. If I had to change my head, the tripod would weigh more, I think it. 1000 thanks for some info.

PS: Out of curiosity: because I already have the gimbal Zhiyun Crane Plus that has a small tripod at the bottom, do you think a monopod could be more useful for me to make videos or a tripod?

Noa Put July 19th, 2018 07:28 AM

Re: Is it better a monopod or tripod to make videos? I already have a gimbal

That Benro has a photo tripod ball head but that doesn't mean you can't use it for locked off shots, most likely it will allow you to do pans. With a lever do you mean a handle? If so, that won't be any good, like I said, it's a photo tripod head so forget about doing smooth movements. The main advantage of that benro is that it's a tripod and monopod combined in a very small package which makes it ideal for travel. To know if a monopod or tripod is better for making videos, well, I would think that is pretty obvious, none of these 2 is "better", they are just different tools, the monopod allows you to move around easier and get stable enough shots while the tripod, especially with that photohead is only good for fixed shots that don't move or maybe with a pan only.

George Dean July 19th, 2018 08:50 AM

If weight were my primary concern I would be looking at carbon legs rather than aluminum, and use that weight saving to put into the head.

If you are going to do pans with the gimbal, you are going to need a lot of practice, otherwise your pans will look exactly like what they are, a pan on a gimbal (ehich may not be bad if that is the look you like). If you are going to mount the gimbal on the tripod for the pans, the gimbal dual handles can act as a tripod pan handle, but getting the camera perfectly level may be challenging as with that ball head, you will need to level the camera using the tripod legs, rather than the head, which is a big pain. And, with the camera and gimbal together it will be like mounting a broadcast cam on a light photo tripod.

In the end, it is what is acceptable to you. If you are going to do the post production, or at least will do the first edit cuts, you have a bit more flexibility in how you accomplish something. I would never be satisfied with making pan shots with anything handheld, or anything less than a fluid head. But, that doesn't mean I wouldn't use anything I had available at the time, even if it wasn't ideal, it just means I may not be happy with it. On the other hand I also try to avoid pan shots, and if I do them they are usually short, in both direction and time.

In your environment I wouldn't think leaving the camera on a tripod unattended for even a few seconds wouldn't be a great idea, unless there will be times when you could escape from people/kids to perhaps shoot some scenery. The tripod on the gimbal is basically for balancing the head during setup. And, that requires a level surface like a table top, rather than the ground most commonly used outdoors for a tripod with spreading adjustable legs. It's just not that steady of a support to be used seriously.

Whenever I have been doing a run-n-gun and had available within reasonable reach a tripod, I ended up wishing I had brought a monopod, and when I had a monopod I wished I had brought a tripod!! It's do with what you have and training has a lot to do with pulling something off without a correct tool at hand and doing the best you can with what you have. There are tricks to using both, and some time using each will develop those tricks.

If space and weight are the concern (and really, that is usually the case when you are a one man production crew) I would go with something with carbon legs. Down one leg when using like a monopod and three legs when needing a tripod. It most likely will be one of those gear items you use less and less, but it's your shoot, you know more about than I.

Adriano Moroni July 19th, 2018 08:51 AM

Do you think I don't know monopod and tripod for different purposes? I asked that question because I have a gimbal and I'd like to listen some opinions if it is better to buy a monopo or tripod for my shoots in my trips. I rememeber I want to travel light.

Adriano Moroni July 19th, 2018 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Dean (Post 1945433)
If weight were my primary concern I would be looking at carbon legs rather than aluminum, and use that weight saving to put into the head.

I agree almost with everything you wrote. As I can bring a few items, this makes me anxious. But I don't agree with one thing. Maybe I don't know tripod world but I don't know any carbon tripod that weighs less than Benro IT15. However your experience could give me only good suggestions.

Dave Baker July 19th, 2018 09:32 AM

For travelling I find the Velbon Ultra Stick Super 8 monopod, combined with the quick release version of the Manfrotto swivel head, to be a winner. From 260mm to 1.56m (plus the Manfrotto head) in seconds. Clip the camera on, twist to unlock, extend and twist again to lock. Does it for me, I use it a great deal.

I don't carry a big tripod when travelling, I tried but found I didn't use it, so I pack a Gorillapod Focus with Joby ballhead, which is fitted with a Manfrotto QR plate, as well. Not just a mini tripod, it can be a clamp to fit on almost anything, can be fashioned into a makeshift shoulder rig, a rough-and-ready stabiliser or anything your imagination can come up with.

Noa Put July 19th, 2018 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Dean (Post 1945433)
Whenever I have been doing a run-n-gun and had available within reasonable reach a tripod, I ended up wishing I had brought a monopod, and when I had a monopod I wished I had brought a tripod!!

That's why the Benro IT15 that Adriano had in mind could be the best of both worlds as one tripod leg can be taken off so it can transform between tripod and monopod, it's only the ball head that suxs, only good to fix the camera in place.
I also have a mefoto traveltripod and that ballhead does allow somewhat smooth pans but you can forget about smooth tilts, it's a bit heavier but build like a tank with a quality ballhead.

Quote:

For travelling I find the Velbon Ultra Stick Super 8 monopod, combined with the quick release version of the Manfrotto swivel head, to be a winner.
I have that one as well, I agree it's a great mini monopod that weighs next to nothing, you even could place a small tripod head like a Manfrotto 128RC and you are good to go.

Quote:

because I already have the gimbal Zhiyun Crane Plus that has a small tripod at the bottom, do you think a monopod could be more useful for me to make videos or a tripod?
It's not a "tripod", it's a stand to place the gimbal down or to help with the balancing, you could use it though to place the gimbal somewhere stationary but unlike a real tripod you cannot change the height of the camera.

Quote:

I repeat: even if the head is not very fluid it's ok because I will do panning with the gimbal and with the tripod I will mostly do fixed videos.
How important is a fixed camera to you? If you want to choose a frame and don't want the camera to move then a tripod is best, if you are on the move then either the gimbal or monopod is ok, only you can shoot much longer without moving the camera on a monopod, the gimbal can get to heavy to hold after a while.

You could attach a monopod onto the gimbal to take the weight out of your hands, you have monopods with feet like this one that give you better stability

Adriano Moroni July 21st, 2018 02:18 AM

I have just decided. I will buy a tripod: Benro IT15 Kit or Reflex K&F Concept TM2324. Now I have to buy a easy and very light head for video, therefore I have to replace those of the Benro IT15 Kit and Reflex K&F Concept TM2324 tripod. I'm undecided between these two heads:
https://www.manfrotto.it/product/MVH...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
or
https://www.manfrotto.it/nuova-testa...a-fino-a-3-5kg

In your opinion which the better for my purpouse? I remember you I have GH5 and gimbal.
Thanks

Noa Put July 21st, 2018 02:23 AM

The Nuova testa is not a tripod head for video, you only can lock the head in a fixed position, the Testa fluida video per Befree will give you more pan/tilt possibilities.

Adriano Moroni July 21st, 2018 02:40 AM

Yet in the reviews I read that the "nuova testa" is also enough good for the video, even if it is not the best. But OK, I will consider the "fluid testa" do you think that it will be so fast and comfortable like the "nuova testa"?

Noa Put July 21st, 2018 02:49 AM

Don' take my word for it :) If the review says that Manfrotto 327RC2 is good enough for video then go for it.

Adriano Moroni July 21st, 2018 02:53 AM

No, Manfrotto doesn't tell it. They are the users.

Noa Put July 21st, 2018 04:21 AM

Again, that "nuova testa" is a photohead, it cannot be used for smooth pan and tilts, it's only good for choosing a frame and lock the head in place, if that is what you need then ok but don't expect to get any smooth motion from it.

Maybe it's best that you first tell us what you expect from such a head, do you want smooth pan and tilt option while shooting video?

Pete Cofrancesco July 21st, 2018 06:04 AM

Manfrotto MVH500AH Fluid Video Head is what you want. It’s a light weight head 2lbs, that allows to pan and tilt small cameras. It uses the same plate as a standard tripod so you transition quickly. You can buy it separately and mount it your favorite monopod or buy it as a manfrotto mono kit. I remember when I first got a mono pod I didn’t think I'd need to pan/tilt but you find either you need to do adjustments while filming or for adding motion or your subject moves. Even the pan bar is useful.

Adriano Moroni July 21st, 2018 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Cofrancesco (Post 1945463)
Manfrotto MVH500AH Fluid Video Head is what you want.

Yes, I know it but I think Manfrotto MHXPRO-2W is even better. I it more fluid too. I know fluid heads are good but they are more heavy than heads for photos.