DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   New tele-zooms from Olympus - sample footage? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/537694-new-tele-zooms-olympus-sample-footage.html)

Ronald Jackson November 20th, 2020 03:34 AM

New tele-zooms from Olympus - sample footage?

Two new zooms, a 100-400 just about with us for £1100 (in UK), and a 150-400 due "spring" for £6400.

I'm interested, hence this post, being a keen amateur wildlife video man.

I'm particularly interested because both lenses will take the Olympus 1.4X and 2.0X teleconverters, unlike the Panasonic 100-400 which I have.

Looking for some sample 4K footage, YouTube, but not having any luck. Loads of snaps (yawn) and loads of guff about hand-held snaps(ditto yawn).

Anyone out there tried one or both of these lenses? Perhaps too early days.

Failing that can anyone point me in the direction of sample footage?

What with lockdown over here it's impossible to go and have a look at a lens, even if a retailer has one.

Ron

ps a frequent grouse is checking YouTube for video samples and finding nowt but snaps, backed up perhaps by talking heads. I thought YT was supposed to be about video.

Jerry Mennenga January 7th, 2021 12:24 PM

Re: New tele-zooms from Olympus - sample footage?

Ronald,

Hello. I recently purchased the Oly 100-400. I am a still shooter, formerly working for a variety of small daily newspapers for 27 plus years, still doing some freelance work for local clients and shooting for a blog I do, lostinsiouxland dot come. I do a little video but not a lot. This was shot at DeSoto Bend National Wildlife Refuge which straddles western Iowa and easter Nebraska. The "cover" shot is from using the lens that same day without a 2X. The video is using the 2X on the lens, zoomed at various focal lengths. I was in a large blind, and did most of this handheld shooting with an OMD E M1 II. I also had a small Feisol travel tripod with a ball head, not really ideal but did what I could. I like the lens as a still shooter. And was please enough with the footage I got, at least to show the eagles on my blog. I am reconfiguring my video setup of which I do not do much anymore, so used Adobe's Elements Premiere v.14 I think it is.

Just prefacing for the not too great video you will see. The lens handles nicely. Zooms well, but if zooming while on a tripod some kind of gear controlled or device around the barrel will help immensely. The lens seems fairly sharp, even shooting at the extreme. My blog post of this visit to the refuge will be coming up in a few days. I had the 300 f/4, but like this lens more because of the flexibility the zooming capability gives me.

Hope this helpful.

Ronald Jackson January 8th, 2021 03:55 AM

Thanks for this. I actually purchased the Oly 100-400. Works okay for me with video with either teleconverter attached. Limitations are max aperture particularly with the 2X in place. F 11 so on a dull day (plenty of those) a need to up the ISO from the usual 400.
And then paradoxically a need to attach a ND filter on bright days. Ended up buying a B&W variable.

The ergonomics are superior to my Panasonic 100-400. Focus (always manual for me) smooth and exact if a bit over-geared. The merest nudge of the ring often sufficient to move focus. The Panny has a sort of electro-mechanical feel to the focus ring.
Zoom albeit "trombone" rather than internal, is precise with a shorter rotation from wide to tele than is the case with the Panny.
Heavier and bulkier than the Panny though I always shoot off a tripod. Build quality a bit plasticky.

Not bad for the money though I have an eye on the 150-400 which in a different league certainly price-wise.

Here's a short video with the 2X TC in place. Bewick's Swans and white birds always a bit of a problem for me particularly with the sun shining.

Not the best and I would have preferred some high cloud obscuring the sun. I look to film the more unusual rather than concentrate on the "art" so have to take opportunities whatever (almost) the conditions,

Ron

Paul R Johnson January 8th, 2021 05:14 AM

I've always been impressed with how the guys in the arctic, with white birds ever get their aperture set correctly - maybe they always underexpose and pull it in post? Nice pictures - how far away do you think you were?

Ronald Jackson January 8th, 2021 09:00 AM

Near maximum zoom with the 2X AND the GH5 "extra tele converter" engaged. About 2000mm "full 35mm" equivalent, say 40X magnification (which a bit easier to understand IMHO).

Distance About 250 feet?

My normal lens up until now is the Sigma 150-600 sport EF mount via a Metabones adapter AND with a 1.4X T.C. in place. Not bad particularly for the money though 350 quid for the adapter a bit steep.

The Olympus plus 2X TC almost the same maximum focal length and a lot less bulk and weight, particularly for an old (Covid jab due soon I hope) geezer like me.

I need some better light conditions and closer subjects for better sample clips.

Everywhere a bit monochrome at the mo.

Ron

Paul R Johnson January 8th, 2021 02:24 PM

I know very little about birds - but near me we have a few marshy animal reserves - areas bought by the Government/organisations and set aside for birds and wildlife - maybe 2 miles away. I've never taken any gear there, so I think if the weather gets brighter, maybe a day out could be interesting.

Ronald Jackson January 8th, 2021 02:47 PM

Give it a go! Don't worry about what you're filming until you've got some decent footage then post it to here.

Bright sunlight not so good by the way as is, in my opinion, handheld.

Ron