Best >400 mm lenses for Panasonic GH5S under $2,000 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old October 2nd, 2021, 08:48 PM   #1
New Boot

Best >400 mm lenses for Panasonic GH5S under $2,000

Hi everybody,

What big lenses would you recommend for the GH5S that go further than 400 mm, are less than $2,000, and are compatible with the Canon 1.4x EF extender?

I recently got a GH5S so I could have more zoom power and good low light capabilities for 4k wildlife video. I was previously using the Sony FDR-AX100, which is great but doesn't allow interchangeable lenses.

I'm considering the Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary Lens for Canon EF. I noticed there's also a sports version of the Sigma 150-600 mm lens, but it costs about twice as much.

I have the Metabones Micro Four Thirds T Smart Adapter for Canon EF lenses. I already have the Canon EF 100-400 and 28-300 mm lenses. The 400 mm provides a bit of a boost beyond the FDR-AX100. With my 1.4x extender, the boost is better, but I still want more reach. Years ago, I got used to the zoom I could get with Canon XL camcorders and the EF adapter XL (7.2x magnification).

Would the 2x Canon EF extender be a good option? I opted for the 1.4x for my XL1S because I thought the 2x wouldn't let in enough light.

I'm planning on shooting 10-bit 4k video, so the Extended Tele Conversion feature in the GH5S won't work for me, but I read it does work with 4k in the GH5 and provides 1.4x magnification. I considered the possibility of returning the GH5S and getting a GH5 instead specifically for the Tele Conversion feature, but good performance in low light is also really important for dusk/dawn wildlife footage, so I'm leaning toward keeping the GH5S.

Thank you,
Tristan
Tristan A. Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2021, 10:09 AM   #2
New Boot

Re: Best >400 mm lenses for Panasonic GH5S under $2,000

I ended up returning my GH5S and getting a GH5 II and a Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary Lens for Canon EF. I've only done minimal testing with local birds, but so far, I am pleased with the results, even when using a Canon 1.4x extender and the 1.4x Extended Tele Conversion feature in the GH5 II.
Tristan A. Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2021, 02:07 PM   #3
Major Player

What make of adaptor did you get to enable you to use an EF lens on your GH5?

Ron
Ronald Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2021, 08:45 AM   #4
New Boot

I got a Metabones Micro Four Thirds T Smart Adapter.

I used my new setup a lot on a trip over the last few weeks, and it worked great and enabled me to finally get 4k footage of small birds and bighorn sheep that were so far away they could not really be seen by the naked eye. The biggest challenge is keeping fast-moving animals in focus. The auto-focus isn't always great, but I should experiment more with tweaking the sensitivity.
Tristan A. Howard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series