DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   P2 Store - 16GB update (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/101063-p2-store-16gb-update.html)

Justin Connor August 10th, 2007 03:02 PM

P2 Store - 16GB update

I just got a 16gb P2 card in the mail for my P2 Store (AJ-PCS060), and the Pansonic updates have been confusing, in terms of being able to use the 16gb with the new firmware update.

I am using a MacBookPro, I have the USB cable...

Any tips or direct links? I read somewhere to download the P2 Store first...? Is that right?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Cheers,
Justin Connor

Justin Connor August 10th, 2007 03:23 PM

Follow up...

Do I need an update for the HVX 200 Camera itself for use with the 16gb card?

TingSern Wong August 10th, 2007 09:17 PM

Depending on when you brought your P2Store and your HVX200 camera, you may be able to use it with 16GB P2Card without updating the firmware. If yours is purchased before June this year, you will have to update the firmware of BOTH the P2Store and HVX200 camera. Check your firmware and see what version it is - anything less than version 2 - you have to update.

It is really very easy to update the firmware ... I have no problems at all. Just follow the instructions on Panny's website.

Robert Lane August 10th, 2007 10:12 PM

Justin,

Serial numbers starting with "E7" on the HVX200 going forward already have the updated firmware; if your HVX200 has a serial previous to that you'll need to update the firmware.

All P2 devices (with exception to the HPX500) will need the firmware updated in order to use the 16GB & 32GB cards. The P2 Store requires using a USB cable connected to a PC in order to update it's firmware.

Instructions for each P2 device and it's firmware are on the Panny site.

TingSern Wong August 10th, 2007 10:40 PM

Robert,

I think Justin's problem stems from the fact he is using a Mac - not a PC. All of Panny's instructions are for PC - and some of them are PC specific only. Not so easy for a layperson to translate the PC only instructions for use on a MAC.

I update my HVX202 (PAL version) via a SD card. I have used a Mac before too - and if you stick a removable media in, the Mac OS adds lots of hidden folders in. It might confuse the camera's firmware updater if the SD card does not contain ONLY the folders that it wants to see.

Justin Connor August 11th, 2007 05:55 PM

Mac!

Yeah that's the problem I'm having -- no instruction for a Mac on Panny's site.

They sent me the 16 gb card recently so i wanted to update my P2Store, and it's not making sense...I've downloaded what I need from them, but the Mac doesn't even have the application(s) to run them because I think the files are for PC.

Now I realize I have to update my HVX as well...?

Arrrgh.

Living in Los Angeles, I may just take a trip over to the Panny repair place and beg them. I want to get the P2 Store up and running with the new card, and this seems especially complicated....probably because there's no release notes on Mac ;)

Anyone on Mac (10.4.10 OS - Mac BookPro) who's having similar issues?

Thanks for your help guys.

J

Gene Crucean August 11th, 2007 07:44 PM

Justin, it's actually really simple. Just read the instructions.

I personally just copy the firmware to a small SD card and install it from that.

Dean Sensui August 12th, 2007 01:38 PM

Gene...

The problem is trying to upgrade a P2 Store with a Mac. Not the HVX.

P2StoreManager, when used with a MacBook Pro, doesn't "see" the P2 Store. And there's no available documentation from Panasonic or elsewhere as to how this can be done.

If anyone has the instructions on how to upgrade the firmwre of a P2 Store using a Mac or MacBook Pro, could they please post it here? Preferably the actual instructions, and not a URL that leads to another link, etc.

Thank you in advance!

TingSern Wong August 12th, 2007 07:41 PM

Hi all,

I agreed with Dean. I have played with the Mac OS - and there is NO way to update the P2 Store with the Mac (a few weeks ago). All the programs and instructions Panny provides only work on the PC.

I am not sure if the following software might help in updating the P2 Store with a Mac - since I no longer have a Mac - I can't test it out.

https://eww.pavc.panasonic.co.jp/pro...cms/index.html

This version does have both a PC and a Mac software. Dean and Justin could download the Mac version and check that out? Thanks.

Justin,

Your best option will be to take both your camera and P2 Store to Panny's service centre and ask them to upgrade the firmware for you.

TS

Justin Connor August 24th, 2007 05:16 PM

Arrgh -- Mac based P2 Store update not Till Autumn 07..??

That's what I just read on the Panny website.

So, basically, I have a new 16gb card, and I can't update the firmware for my P2 Store on my MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo, 10.4.10 until the Autumn in order to be able to use it?

Is that right?!?

Anyone else have any help in this regard......basically anyone who's using a Mac, has a 16gb card and has found a way to use it in conjunction with the P2 Store with a Mac Book Pro 10.4.10, like me?

Curious...thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Justin

Robert Lane August 24th, 2007 11:34 PM

Justin,

The easiest thing to do for now is to "borrow" the use of any PC and at least get the update completed on the P2 Store. I don't own a Store so I don't track it's usability but that would seem to be a "get it down now" simple option.

TingSern Wong August 25th, 2007 01:15 AM

Justin,

I agree with Robert. Use a PC / Windows and upgrade your P2Store - why wait for the Mac software to be ready - when you can do it now ...?

Jeff Zimmerman August 25th, 2007 07:35 PM

HVX200 Problems Copying to SD Card Firmware

Similiar problem. I can't seem to copy the new firmware to a freshly formatted SD card from my camera. I've tried in OS X 10.4.10 and on Windows XP SP2 with P2 Store software installed. It won't let me access the SD card to drop files on. The SD cards show up fine in Windows whenever I want to drop the firmware update on it I get " The Disk is Right Protected " Any ideas? I'm using a MacPro with Windows and Mac OS X.

TingSern Wong August 25th, 2007 07:48 PM

Jeff,

I suspect it might MacOS interference. Can you try that on a pure PC (desktop / notebook) using a SD card reader/writer? Actually, you don't need P2Store software to perform the upgrade of firmware this way - but, no harm installing it as well.

Things to check -
a) Did you accidentally engage the write tab on the SD card?
b) Is your SD card reader/writer faulty? Contacts no good? Try using another SD card to test.
c) I found you don't have to format it on the camera. You can do that under Windows as well. Try it - use FAT format.
d) Very important - make sure you copy the ENTIRE path given in Panny's ZIP folder into the SD card. If you just drill down to the firmware itself - the camera will complaint.

Jeff Zimmerman August 25th, 2007 09:21 PM

Thanks, going to get a new SD card to try and see if that helps. Since you mentioned formatting the card in Windows, I really want to try that before driving across town. The other 3 SD cards I have were formatted by the camera and are locked out from being formatted by the computer for some reason. Tabs unlocked. If that doesn't help looks like I'll be making a Sunday trip to the office to try a true PC.