DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   Bag or Case or Backpack for HVX200 & 17" laptop? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/102126-bag-case-backpack-hvx200-17-laptop.html)

Mary Casey August 25th, 2007 08:19 PM

Bag or Case or Backpack for HVX200 & 17" laptop?

I just bought an HVX200 (it should be shipping Monday, I'm so excited!) and I don't have a case for it yet. I've been a fan of Porta-Brace cases for years, but I'm thinking I'd like something that will also hold a 17" Powerbook, which is our interim P2 workflow solution.
Anyone using the Kata 207 or OGIO Ty Video backpacks? They look like a good choice, although I'd have to get used to a backpack as opposed to shoulder bag.
Any other bags/cases/backpacks you'd recommend? We're doing local stuff and occasionally flying (carry on, not checked luggage!) and I prefer a lighter weight soft bag - but still want protection for my expensive new baby.

Tim Polster August 26th, 2007 08:03 AM

I use a Lowepro backpack for my still cameras.

I recently went on a trip with:

Two DSLRs, two lenses, VX-2000, & a 15.4" laptop.

Sturdy piece of gear as well.

The inside is all velcro walls that can be configured any way you need.

I really like the backpack/case idea and think it is one of the best purchases I have made. ($170)

Robert Morane August 26th, 2007 08:05 AM

I have the Kata MC61 and I love it. My only concern is will I be able to carry-on on my next plane trip.

Jeff Zimmerman August 26th, 2007 11:55 AM

For a backpack I have a Kata HB-207. It fits my HVX200, 6 batteries, wireless gear and headphones. Along the strap side of the pack is an insert for a laptop which I have successfully stored a 15 inch powerbook. As for a 17 it would probable work with a thin pad removed. Laptop is still safe the pad is just a place holder to fight againist it wiggling if you were to put a mall laptop in there.

Good luck in your search!

Dan Brockett September 2nd, 2007 10:10 AM

Ogio

Hi Mary:

I just picked up the OGIO Ty Ford two weeks ago and went to the U.K. for a week long shoot. The bag is most excellent and it was only $149.00. Hard to find, I bought it at a skateboard shop but it works really, really well. I transported the following to London and Glasgow:

HVX-200
G4 PB 15"
six camera batteries
eight 16GB P2 cards
AC adaptor
various cables
six 2.5" bus powered 160 GB drives
owners manual

The backpack was so heavy that my shoulders and arms are covered in bruises, I think when all was said and done, it was approaching 50lbs but I can't complain, the back pack did a good job, I just had to haul too much stuff. Unfortunately, on the small plane from Heathrow to Glasgow, I had to remove the camera and laptop while the bag was stored underneath the plane because the overheads on the small plane were way too small for any backpack. Not a big deal.

I had the CineBags DV-20, but it could not carry a laptop as well. CineBags has just introduced a new bag that is the same but can carry a laptop, I almost bought it but I was able to get the OGIO bag for about $50.00 less so I went for it.

All the best,

Dan