DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   storage/capture options (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/103035-storage-capture-options.html)

Dwight Flynn September 6th, 2007 10:55 PM

storage/capture options

I know of the p2 card, the dvrack hd, the firestore and the citidisk, but there was at least one another, possibly cheaper, capture card for the p2 (like the firestore or citidisk). Does anyone know of its/their name?

Barry Green September 7th, 2007 09:06 AM

You can record the footage on any firewire-enabled capture device, so that includes:

computer software:
DV Rack 2.0 HD
EDIUS Broadcast 3.61 or later
Apple FCP
Avid XPress Pro HD
ScopeBox? HD Monitor? I think those might do it too...

Tape:
DV, DVCPRO, DVCPRO-50, and DVCPRO-HD tape decks

Hard disk:
FireStore FS-100
CitiDisk
There are no other hard disk recorders out that I know of...

Solid State:
Panasonic P2 Cards
Hoodman Raw-H2 Cards (not on the market yet, I think)

Dwight Flynn September 7th, 2007 02:44 PM

It may have been the hoodman, but I do recall seeing a another solid-state option for the p2. Thanks, I'll keep looking.

Robert Lane September 9th, 2007 12:43 AM

Hoodman is the only company that announced or had planned to make third-party P2 media. Currently their version of P2 cards have not yet made it to market and no date for release has been announced other than "Q4 2007".

If you want solid-state Panny's cards are the only game in town, currently. Stay away from the Citidisk; it's far from being reliable and stable. The Firestore has always been a controversial device at best, creating a love-hate relationship from it's users and testers.

Be wary of Hoodman's cards until they've been tested; they differ greatly both in design and potential functionality from the genuine Panny media. Until people like Barry, myself and other Panny consultants get our hands on them and prove they're worthy of broadcast/commercial standards I'd wait.

----------------------------------

Admin Update 06 Feb. 2008: Hoodman Corporation has cancelled its P2 card project.

See http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....5&postcount=80
/ Admin

----------------------------------

Paul Izbicki September 9th, 2007 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dwight Flynn (Post 740678)
I know of the p2 card, the dvrack hd, the firestore and the citidisk, but there was at least one another, possibly cheaper, capture card for the p2 (like the firestore or citidisk). Does anyone know of its/their name?

Perhaps youare thinking of the aborted Cineporter? P2 slot connection by ribbon cable, internal raid, 160 0r 320Gb. Announced at $2000?

Never gonna happen. They claimed the drop in P2 costs and increases in card storage sizes made it redundant.

Barry Green September 10th, 2007 10:27 AM

Yeah, the CinePorter had to be abandoned; the market moved out from under it. Panasonic's got 32GB cards coming out in a couple of months, and they've said that "64GB cards are right around the corner". Don't know what that means, but my wild and unsubstantiated speculation would be that 64's could be here as early as NAB in April. With two 64GB cards, you'd have 30% more storage than the FireStore hard disk recorder! With four 64GB cards in an HPX500, you could probably get through an entire week's shoot (in 720/24pN mode) without ever swapping cards. So the idea of a hard disk recorder, especially a $3500 hard disk recorder, really lost a lot of momentum.

Andzei Matsukevits September 18th, 2007 06:55 AM

it might be a little offtopic,

but i saw that Premiere allows to capture footage on PC from HVX, i was wondering if i could get footage as good quality as it is captured on P2?

Barry Green September 18th, 2007 05:57 PM

Footage captured through the firewire will be identical to footage captured on a P2 card.