DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   HPX-500 Vital Accessories? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/108455-hpx-500-vital-accessories.html)

Christopher Drews November 20th, 2007 08:41 PM

HPX-500 Vital Accessories?

Hey Guys,

My company is in the market for this camera.
I wanted to present a list of Accessories for this camera. What do you bring on every shoot with HPX-500 (aside from the common things like P2 Cards and the Lens). Like Porta Brace CBA-HPX500 Camera Body Armor, or Chrosziel's C41150HPXK3C mattebox system.

Any help on these Accessories would be much appreciated!

-C

Brad Neal November 20th, 2007 10:37 PM

How will you be using the camera? ENG? Talking heads? Theatrical?

Hard to say without knowing.

Christopher Drews November 21st, 2007 02:58 AM

Theatrical with some ENG.

Bob Woodhead November 21st, 2007 05:13 AM

PortaBrace CC HD-1 (?) quickdraw case (note the french flag on the matte box is too wide for this (& probably other) cases - needs to be removed 1st)
Anton Bauer Tandem 70 & Dionics
Sennheiser ME80 shotgun
Marshall HD 7" LCD on a Noga 8" articulated arm
CaVision 16:9 2-stage mattebox, clamp on model
polarizing, ND grad, soft filters
various wireless & hardline mics
Miller DS25 head & sticks
LaCie 2big 1TB RAID 1 (2 disk) drive for offloads (important thing is the RAID 1 - the data is mirrored as it's offloaded - very safe)
laptop for above, also to run P2CMS, edit metadata on SD card, prompter,etc

whole bunch of other poo not directly related to the camera

Brad Neal November 21st, 2007 08:08 AM

Bob,
Do you have a model number on the CaVision 16:9 2-stage mattebox?

Thanks,
Brad
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Woodhead (Post 779233)
PortaBrace CC HD-1 (?) quickdraw case (note the french flag on the matte box is too wide for this (& probably other) cases - needs to be removed 1st)
Anton Bauer Tandem 70 & Dionics
Sennheiser ME80 shotgun
Marshall HD 7" LCD on a Noga 8" articulated arm
CaVision 16:9 2-stage mattebox, clamp on model
polarizing, ND grad, soft filters
various wireless & hardline mics
Miller DS25 head & sticks
LaCie 2big 1TB RAID 1 (2 disk) drive for offloads (important thing is the RAID 1 - the data is mirrored as it's offloaded - very safe)
laptop for above, also to run P2CMS, edit metadata on SD card, prompter,etc

whole bunch of other poo not directly related to the camera

Bob Woodhead November 21st, 2007 10:56 AM

MB4510-H2
Didn't want to *have* to use rails w/ mb, so went w/ clamp-on. No issues (other than the flag can't be removed easily from mb, so entire box comes off in quickdraw case. OEM hood goes on.)

Christopher Drews November 21st, 2007 03:46 PM

Here is the list I came up with:

HPX-500 B&H KIT

Anton Bauer Twin Charger

7" HD LCD Monitor

Chrosziel Mattbox w/ follow focus, rods

Porta Brace Camera Body Armor

Porta Brace Camera Bag

P2 Player / Recorder

Other than the miller sticks, what is a good Tripod / Head combo.
Anything else I'm missing?
Thanks!
-C

Bob Woodhead November 21st, 2007 04:35 PM

Tripod - the Miller DS25 is a slightly older model of what I think now is called the Arrow25 fluid head. I've got it on single stage Miller sticks. New, I think they were around $4000. That seems to be the **rough** mark for pro-level support. There was a review in one of the trades about 9 months - 1 yr ago, sorry forget which... try a Google on "tripod review", include the terms Miller, Sachtler, Manfrotto. My best advice is whatever support you buy, it'll LONG OUTLAST the camera & everything else, so DON'T CHEAP OUT here.

2nd, what do you need the P2 box for? Lot of $$ if you don't have a specific usage in mind. It's not a newer P2 Store....

Christopher Drews November 22nd, 2007 03:18 AM

Thanks Bob - Quick question: Will the The SHAN-TM700 Quick-Release Tripod Adapter be compatible with any standard tripod or do I need something starting a the pro level?

My current support is Gitzo - Here is the addy. Will this support the HXP-500 with the TM700 or am I playing with fire?

-C

Bob Woodhead November 22nd, 2007 06:00 AM

The shan-tm700 will attach to any pro tripod plate, which in turn slides into the fluid head. It looks like the Gitzo has a plate, not quite sure what the large "nuts" are on top of the plate in the close-up pic. But I'd assume if it has a plate, it should work.
As for support, I'd be concerned that it's right on the hairy edge, weight-wise. The sticks load spec is 22 lbs. The fluid head weighs 6.2 lbs. The 500 weighs 19 lbs (w/ lens, VF, mic, battery) approx. Sooooo... you over. Add a monitor onto the 500, and you're about 40% over rated load.
If budget's an issue, I'd take the $ from the matte box, and put it towards part of a new tripod system. I mean, I jokingly refer to the matte box as the "client box".... mostly it's on the 500 to impress the client. Though it looks MAHvelous, it's far from a critical bit of kit. (Not saying there aren't some situations where it could be.) And what about the P2 player/recorder? Do you have a specific need for that? That alone would pay for a nice set of sticks.