DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   Regarding Shutter Speed (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/110564-regarding-shutter-speed.html)

TingSern Wong December 19th, 2007 01:24 AM

Regarding Shutter Speed

I am shooting in HD - 720p on HVX202. Normally, the camera default shutter speed is 1/24. If I shoot in low light, and am using tripod, I can reduce the shutter speed to 1/12 - the lowest speed it will go.

Questions -

a) How does 1/12 speed affect the motion of objects recorded on camera?

b) Does it affect the "slow and fast motion" performance of the camera?

c) Compared with "Gain Control" - which is better? Increase gain or reduce the shutter by 1 stop?

I know Auto Focus will be slower - but, I am using mostly MF - so that's a non-issue for me.

Douglas Villalba December 19th, 2007 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TingSern Wong (Post 795124)
I am shooting in HD - 720p on HVX202. Normally, the camera default shutter speed is 1/24. If I shoot in low light, and am using tripod, I can reduce the shutter speed to 1/12 - the lowest speed it will go.

Questions -

c) Compared with "Gain Control" - which is better? Increase gain or reduce the shutter by 1 stop?

I know Auto Focus will be slower - but, I am using mostly MF - so that's a non-issue for me.

Normal shutter speed when shooting at 24 fps is 180 degrees or 1/48th second. 1/24 sec. is good enough for talking heads or very minor motion.

Anything lower slower will look very soft with any kind of motion.

Whenever I have to shoot in low-light the lower I would go is 1/24th with 6 db gain. If at that setting you get proper exposure then you would get a good image without grain (noise).

The HVX likes over exposure(1/2 f tops) better than under exposure.

Barry Green December 19th, 2007 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TingSern Wong (Post 795124)

It will do "frame accumulation" and you'll end up with 12 distinct frames per second, each will be quite blurry.

Quote:

Well, it limits you to 12 distinct frames per second (you cannot have a faster frame rate than your exposure time without seriously harming the laws of physics).

Quote:

gain = noise, but normal motion
1/12 shutter = no noise, but blurrier motion

Your choice.

TingSern Wong December 19th, 2007 01:25 PM

Thanks for the reply. I did some experiments just now. At 1/12 second, even panning at a very slow speed, I can see the image jumps - not smooth. Looks like I have to abandon 1/12 second shutter and stick to 1/25 (PAL) as the slowest I will go then.

Dan Brockett December 19th, 2007 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TingSern Wong (Post 795410)
Thanks for the reply. I did some experiments just now. At 1/12 second, even panning at a very slow speed, I can see the image jumps - not smooth. Looks like I have to abandon 1/12 second shutter and stick to 1/25 (PAL) as the slowest I will go then.

I agree with Barry. I used to shoot a lot of interviews with 1/24th for the extra light levels but even they have a tendency to look rather soft. I cna't imagine using 1/12th of a second shutter. The camera definitely looks better with 1/48th (180 degree) shutter. These days, I just bring the light levels up and use 180 degree. The end result looks sharper and better to my eye.

Dan

TingSern Wong December 19th, 2007 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Brockett (Post 795475)
I agree with Barry.... These days, I just bring the light levels up and use 180 degree.
Dan

The key here is - you can bring the light levels up. But I can't. Filming in national parks, inside rainforests, Himalaya mountains, etc ... it is just impossible. I just have to make do with whatever sunlight there is available.