DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   P2 Card Read Error (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/136530-p2-card-read-error.html)

William Reliford October 23rd, 2008 05:53 PM

P2 Card Read Error

I have had this issue twice now and frankly, it is a bit unnerving. I down loaded the files off of the two P2 (32 gig each) from a shoot today. After I got the files into the computer using the hpx500 usb port, I get a "format error" and the cards are blank. I can't use the cards until I format them. Has anyone had this problem?

The footage seemed fine in the computer.

William

Dan Brockett October 23rd, 2008 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William Reliford (Post 954842)
I have had this issue twice now and frankly, it is a bit unnerving. I down loaded the files off of the two P2 (32 gig each) from a shoot today. After I got the files into the computer using the hpx500 usb port, I get a "format error" and the cards are blank. I can't use the cards until I format them. Has anyone had this problem?

The footage seemed fine in the computer.

William

Are you flipping the "protect" tab in each P2 card before inserting into the camera to download to your computer? If not, do it. When and on what device do you get a P2 card format error?

Dan

William Reliford October 23rd, 2008 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Brockett (Post 954850)
Are you flipping the "protect" tab in each P2 card before inserting into the camera to download to your computer? If not, do it. When and on what device do you get a P2 card format error?

Dan

Dan
Thanks for the quick reply. I haven't been flipping the protect tab before downloading. I will be though from here on out. I get the error the next time I turn the camera on. This is after turning the camera off to uncable the camera after downloading. The error occurs on both cards at the same time. Both indicators flash red.

TingSern Wong October 24th, 2008 09:14 AM

Do you have another way to download the clips from the P2 cards? Such as -

a) PCMCIA slot on a notebook
b) Duel adaptor on a Expresscard slot
c) 60GB Panny HDD with a P2 card slot

Try using those alternate ways instead of using USB on the camera itself.

Dan Brockett October 24th, 2008 10:41 AM

I agree with TingSern, I would get the Dual Adapter. Using the camera is so slow and clunky in comparison. My Dual adapter into my MBP dumps a 16GB P2 card in less than 8 minutes. It's the way to go...

Dan

William Reliford October 24th, 2008 12:20 PM

Thanks for your comments. I think we solved the problem. When we were creating folders for moving data off the p2 cards and onto the pc, we mistakingly renamed the content folders on the p2 cards. So the next time I turned on the camera to access the cards, I got a "format error" warning. From the camera, mind you, I can't even see what was on the cards. But I can see the folders on the camera using the pc. I was able to repeat all of the above during further investigation.

I must say I like the p2 workflow, but I am still getting use to its ways of doing things. There is still much to learn and share when I learn it.