DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   P2 Content Folders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/136531-p2-content-folders.html)

William Reliford October 23rd, 2008 05:59 PM

P2 Content Folders

Is it okay to put the content files of two p2 cards in the same (or in the other one's) content folder? What about footage the spans two p2 cards? I am wondering if each clip has its own unique file name especially when using both cards on an all day shoot.

Dan Brockett October 23rd, 2008 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William Reliford (Post 954843)
Is it okay to put the content files of two p2 cards in the same (or in the other one's) content folder? What about footage the spans two p2 cards? I am wondering if each clip has its own unique file name especially when using both cards on an all day shoot.

Make a folder. Label it. Put the contents folder and the lastclip.txt file from ONE P2 cardinto it. Rinse, Repeat. Do anything other than this and you are asking for a screw up. Spanned files don't need the content in the same folder.

Dan

William Reliford October 23rd, 2008 06:35 PM

Is it okay to rename the actual (p2) "content" folder or is that a no no too?

Joe Lawry October 23rd, 2008 09:54 PM

thats also a nono.

Dan Brockett October 24th, 2008 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William Reliford (Post 954857)
Is it okay to rename the actual (p2) "content" folder or is that a no no too?

Yes, Joe has it right. You must maintain the integrity of the original contents and lastclip.txt file, you name the folder that you are going to put both of them into.

Dan

TingSern Wong October 24th, 2008 09:21 AM

Basically, you create ONE external folder per P2 card.

Call it A1 (from the root directory).
You then copy everything from first P2 card into folder A1. The Lastclip.txt is VERY important - it contains the pointer to the last file on the P2 card.

Then you create another folder A2 (from the root directory).
Then you again copy everything from your second P2 card into A2.

You understand? You cannot (repeat, cannot) alter anything that you copy from the P2 card.

Mark Donnell November 11th, 2008 05:22 PM

Maybe I have misread the question, but when I create new virtual P2 cards on my computer, I name a new folder, then either write edited P2 files to it from Edius, or once you have created a CONTENTS file, you can transfer the individual clip portions (Audio, Clip, Video, etc) to the proper sections of the new folder. I agree, you cannot rename any parts of the clips or the CONTENTS file, but I never use the LASTCLIP.txt file. When you connect the camcorder to your computer by USB, you can also delete the P2 card CONTENTS file and write a new CONTENTS file from a virtual card to the P2 card in the camcorder for playback. Again, skip any LASTCLIP.txt file and the camera will create a new one when it plays back the files.