DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   varicam undercrank/overcrank (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/137580-varicam-undercrank-overcrank.html)

Spike Spiegel November 11th, 2008 11:10 AM

varicam undercrank/overcrank

I'm starting to get ready to purchase one; i still don't understand this feature for under/over cranking though. I understand that higher fps = ability to slow down stuff smoothly and vice versa but is there any examples of how good this effect can be done via the varicams?

Noah Kadner November 11th, 2008 01:39 PM

It's the same principle as shooting off frame rate on a film camera- you record more or less frames per second and then play them back at a standard 24 frames per second. The result is clear, sped up or slowed motion.

Most cameras simply capture everything at a fixed frame rate- 24 fps or 60 interlaced fields per second. In order to change the apparent speed of motion you have to speed a clip up or slow it down in post. Since you're either adding or removing frames than never optically existed, the results are much less smooth and much less believable looking. I'd suggest a VariCam demo- it's pretty obvious when you see the difference. Other cameras that can do this include the Panasonic HVX200 and HPX170 and the Sony EX1 and EX3.

Noa

Spike Spiegel November 11th, 2008 02:56 PM

thanks Noah, i tried looking for some demos but coudln't find any. Any links or demos appreciated!!

Dan Brockett November 12th, 2008 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel (Post 962247)
thanks Noah, i tried looking for some demos but coudln't find any. Any links or demos appreciated!!

Are you considering a tape-based old Varicam or the new 2700/3700 Varicams? Because the VFR process is fundamentally different in tape vs. P2. The end result looks the same but P2 uses a Pn (native frame rate) that is not really possible on tape.

Dan

Steve Phillipps November 13th, 2008 12:21 PM

Watch any episode of "Planet Earth" for plenty of slomo from Varicam. Nice Varicam feature also is ability to do ramping, ie starting shot at one speed and dialling it up to a different speed, so start normal motion and then slow as the shot goes through. Pn is a very nice feature as you can then view the shot at slowed down speed straight from the camera, but fortunately even with the tape cams it's no longer neccessary to buy the insanely expensive frme rate converter, as software can do it now.
Steve

Noah Kadner November 13th, 2008 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Brockett (Post 962791)
Are you considering a tape-based old Varicam or the new 2700/3700 Varicams? Because the VFR process is fundamentally different in tape vs. P2. The end result looks the same but P2 uses a Pn (native frame rate) that is not really possible on tape.

Dan

Actually it is if you capture via Firewire with a 1200A type DVCPRO HD deck and Final Cut Pro. It has a native plugin that takes the tape-based Varicam's slowmo and automatically conforms it to 23.98 with the proper slow or high speed motion. It's very easy and gives the same ultimate results you would have with a P2 based slow-motion.

Noah

Spike Spiegel November 20th, 2008 08:19 PM

is the hpx500 also capable of this feature? in it's 720p mode?

Steve Phillipps November 21st, 2008 01:57 AM

Pretty sure it can, but bare in mind that the 500 is a very different camera to the Varicam in terms of picutre quality.
Steve