DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   HPX500 cleared for Discovery HD Silver (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/143254-hpx500-cleared-discovery-hd-silver.html)

Glen Vandermolen February 6th, 2009 11:10 PM

HPX500 cleared for Discovery HD Silver

I've read this from another forum, from our own Jan Livingston - Discovery HD now accepts the HPX500 for Silver acquisition.
Jan, please elaborate. Details, we want details!

Jan Crittenden Livingston February 12th, 2009 06:01 AM

Discovery will release details over the next couple of weeks. As I learn of the posting I will post it here. It really is their work to talk about.
Best,

Jan

Will Boggs February 12th, 2009 09:59 PM

What about the HPX170? I wonder what rating discovery will give it. Anybody know?

Dan Brockett February 13th, 2009 12:20 AM

The 170 is Bronze as are all 1/3" chip cameras.

Dan

Will Boggs February 13th, 2009 08:45 AM

So, what do you get with a bronze rating. How much of a single program would Discovery allow to be filmed with a cam like the 170?

Perrone Ford February 13th, 2009 08:52 AM

I think it has been 15% if I am not mistaken. Not sure if that's changed.

Steve Phillipps February 13th, 2009 03:27 PM

Something like 15% but also not a continuous duration of more than 30 seconds or a minute or something (ie it must be spread thinly through the programme).
Steve

Steve Phillipps February 13th, 2009 03:29 PM

Incidentally, I used an HPX500 briefly, found it a bit soft (less so at 1080) but otherwise a very pleasing look, and nicely handling and working camera too. Massive problem was the viewfinder though which was utter guesswork as to whether something was in focus or not!
Steve

Glen Vandermolen February 13th, 2009 04:20 PM

Keep in mind, there are several shows on Discovery HD and its satellite networks that are entirely shot with 1/3" cameras. "Deadliest Catch," "Little People, Big World," "Wreakreation Nation" are a few.

Daniel Epstein February 13th, 2009 05:24 PM

What is good for the goose isn't always what is good for the gander or something like that as far as Discovery and its rules for outside vendors not always being applied equally

Christian Magnussen February 13th, 2009 09:25 PM

And to destroy almost 50 silver/gold grade cameras will be out of the question, ie. deadliest catch, sometimes there will also be a safety aspect of using a small ang light cam versus a shouldermounted.

Daniel Epstein February 16th, 2009 05:26 PM

Sounds like you think common sense should prevail but this has not always worked its way into rule books. Also not every network goes by what Discovery finds/says is acceptable. It is notable to people as Discovery has long been known to set standards which others follow.

James Ewen February 17th, 2009 01:31 AM

A slight deviation

Can anybody point me in the direction of these Gold and Silver standard delivery requirements for National Geographic Channel and Discovery HD/Animal Planet?

Thanks,

James

Will Boggs February 17th, 2009 09:34 AM

I'd like to know as well. I have looked on the Discovery Producers Portal but found no list of cameras and what the standards/requirements are.

Dan Brockett February 17th, 2009 07:53 PM

The requirements are given to you once Discovery Networks commissions a special or series from you. As far as I know, the information is not on their website.

D