DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   New CNC machined aluminum base plate for the HVX200 and HPX170 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/146604-new-cnc-machined-aluminum-base-plate-hvx200-hpx170.html)

Curtis Guise March 25th, 2009 12:51 PM

New CNC machined aluminum base plate for the HVX200 and HPX170

2 Attachment(s)
I have had allot of people asking me about the new CNC machined aluminum base plate that I designed for the HVX200. So far I have about 10 people using them and they have been working great. I finally have them in stock for those that are interested. Juice Designs

The plate adds multiple 1/4" and 3/8" mounting holes. And it protects the base of your camera from cracking when attached to a tripod. I shoot off-road racing in the desert and always throw my camera and tripod on my shoulder while hiking to new spots to film. In conditions like that, or if your camera and tripod were dropped it can crack the base without the new base plate installed. I have seen it happen and it cost about $1000 to repair the camera.

It attaches to the base of your camera easily with the supplied screws and allen wrenches. It also uses the stock 1/4" hole in the camera as one of the mounting points for the plate which makes for a stronger mount.

The next base plate I plan to design is for the HPX170. Hopefully in the next one to two months.

Curtis Guise April 3rd, 2009 10:59 AM

Due to many requests I now have anodized black plates in stock for the HVX200.

I am also having an adapter plate made for people that use the Chrosziel 450 matte box. The plate spaces the rod mount down from the matte box 3/8", the thickness of the base plate. I should have some of those in a week or two.

TingSern Wong April 5th, 2009 05:36 AM

Let me know when you have the HPX170 version ready for sale. What is the weight of the HVX200 plate?

Also, how many points do you have to attach the base plate to the camera?

Curtis Guise April 8th, 2009 03:22 AM

The HVX200 plate weighs 220 grams or 7.76 ounces. It mounts using the six stock screw locations plus I use the 1/4" tripod mounting hole as the main anchor point making it very secure. You can see some more pictures of it without the tripod mounted on my website www.juicedesigns.com

I plan on measuring a HPX170 tomorrow finally. Once we get the drawing setting up for the CNC machine we can make the first prototype, then I will have a batch of them made. If all goes as planned I should have them ready to sell in about a month at the most.

Would you want a bare aluminum one or anodized black? If people can PM me the color they prefer that would help me decide how many to have anodized on the first run.

Kevin Railsback April 10th, 2009 12:41 PM

Are you going to line up the tripod mounting hole with the lens so it's not offset like the original 170?

I've got a Chrosziel 450 mattebox from my HVX-200 that I want to get a new ring to fit the 170 and would like to use that without having to buy something else to line the rods up.

Curtis Guise April 12th, 2009 11:02 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Railsback (Post 1075838)
Are you going to line up the tripod mounting hole with the lens so it's not offset like the original 170?

I've got a Chrosziel 450 mattebox from my HVX-200 that I want to get a new ring to fit the 170 and would like to use that without having to buy something else to line the rods up.

yes I just measured a HPX170 a few days ago and have the drawing almost finished. I didn't have a Chrosziel or any other matte box to mount on the camera so I could only lay a straight edge along the base and used my calipers to measure the offset. It looks to be 0.400" offset. If you or anyone else can mount your Chrosziel on the camera and get an accurate measurement of the offset that would help.

I also have an adapter plate being made for a friends Chrosziel 450 that he wants to use with my base plate and his HVX200. It will space it down 3/8", the thickness of the base plate. I hope to have the first one for him next week and will have some more made after that. The adapter will work with the 200 and 170.

Here are some pictures of the HVX200 base plate in black.

Dan Brockett April 15th, 2009 09:20 PM

Curtis:

Those plates are looking really sweet. Nice work. Let us know when the 170 plates are ready to go, I think I will buy one from you.

Dan

Curtis Guise April 17th, 2009 09:13 AM

Thanks Dan. I just finished the drawing for the HPX170 yesterday. Next step is programing it for the CNC machine and make the prototype. That should be done by next week.

I also have some good news... The new HMC150 shares the same body as the HPX170 so the new base plate will fit both cameras.

TingSern Wong April 20th, 2009 09:08 AM

Excellent piece of work. One question - do I have to "remove" the original plastic cover or I just remove the screws, align your plate, and screw it down?

Curtis Guise April 20th, 2009 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TingSern Wong (Post 1115889)
Excellent piece of work. One question - do I have to "remove" the original plastic cover or I just remove the screws, align your plate, and screw it down?

Yes, Just remove the 6 screws and put my plate over the the stock plastic cover. I supply the longer screws and the 1/4" one that attaches the plate to the tripod mounting hole. I also supply the two allen wrenches you need. (you will need your own small phillips screwdriver for the stock screws) It's easy to do and only takes a couple of minutes.

Ray Thomas April 20th, 2009 11:59 AM

You can put me down for a black one for my HMC-150. I have a TA-100 plate for my Canon XH-A1 and I was looking for something similar for my 150. Let us know when they are ready. Thanks.

TingSern Wong April 20th, 2009 08:42 PM

I counted only 5 small screws on my HPX172 - not 6. So - I am hoping you are measuring the right camera :-).

Okay - let me know when you get your stocks ready. I will be ordering one from you.

Curtis Guise April 20th, 2009 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TingSern Wong (Post 1118098)
I counted only 5 small screws on my HPX172 - not 6. So - I am hoping you are measuring the right camera :-).

Okay - let me know when you get your stocks ready. I will be ordering one from you.

Both the HPX170 and HMC150 have 6 screws. If you are looking at the bottom with the lens at the top there are two screws at the top, one in the center, one bottom right and two bottom left. If your HPX172 is different please send me a picture to this email curtis at race-dezert.com

TingSern Wong April 20th, 2009 09:50 PM

I got to go back home and double check in that case. I thought I only saw 5 screws not 6 - but again, I could be wrong.

TingSern Wong April 21st, 2009 04:22 AM

I was wrong ... IT is 6 screws ... so, no problems then.