DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   Sonnet Qio card reader (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/467602-sonnet-qio-card-reader.html)

Christopher Drews January 27th, 2010 03:16 AM

From your website and exhaustive research on the subject, I nominate you Tom!
But honestly, since I already have the MXO2 with the necessary PCIe card (same board) it may be the pathway of least resistance. Just need longer Express 1x cable.

As it stands now, I am using a PC with Amtron with great results.
-C

Tom Klein January 27th, 2010 05:43 AM

Hi Christopher,

Love to be the First, but alas i'm downunder in OZ, the first units I believe will be shipped in the Good ol US... So some lucky guy over there will be the first... Maybe Barry Green ?
Either way, hope it delivers what's promised by the Sonnet guys.
My Qio delivery will be well after it's release in the US. "that's Life".

PC with Amtron reader, well done, a very cheap fix....Late model Macpros has been the challenge as most FCP users are there. So Panasonic and Sony solid state users may love this puppy.

Cheers from downunder

Tom Klein February 10th, 2010 12:38 AM

A "Read performance" chart on the Qio has just been posted by Sonnett.
Sonnet - Qio: Professional Universal Media Reader/Writer Plus Four eSATA Ports

Cheers

Tom Klein February 10th, 2010 02:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/attachme...1&d=1265792069

Cheers

TingSern Wong February 11th, 2010 11:20 PM

With P2 cards, only 25 - 50 MB/sec? That's kinda of slow ... I expected it to be faster.

Tom Klein February 12th, 2010 12:04 AM

Hi TSW,

Let's hope "real world tests" will yield better than that performance, who knows, for those running SxS gear and cards, that looks like a real speed transfer.

P2 at only 25mb / sec equals 1.5gig /min, that's not as fast as I'd hoped for,
at that rate it would make a 32g card take approx 21mins to ingest, I wonder if the tests were with an R series card or an E series.

I suppose as all these connected digital formats come and go, the QIO may a great product for the future ?.

Time will tell I suppose.

Cheers

Bo Skelmose February 27th, 2010 07:45 AM

Got my sonnet now - Just no windows drivers so it's a no-go.
Have to wait again.

Dan Brockett February 27th, 2010 10:11 AM

I am getting rates similar to that with my old PB G4. That is disappointing.

Dan

Bo Skelmose March 1st, 2010 04:09 AM

Considering the speed and the long time before it was available - guess they just should have made a USB3 Card reader.

TingSern Wong March 1st, 2010 07:29 AM

In 2 - 3 months time, there is the Panny's single slot USB2 reader ... I think I will go for that - more universal. If the speed is similar to the Qio for downloading P2 data, I would be inclined to think there could be something not quite right with the Qio implementation then.

The con for getting the Qio as far as I am concerned - I don't have any PCI Express slots left on my PC.

Tom Klein March 3rd, 2010 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Brockett (Post 1491988)
I am getting rates similar to that with my old PB G4. That is disappointing.

Dan

Hi Dan,

what's your connected set-up with the Qio,
-what connection to computer/PCIe or Expresscard to laptop
-what HDD, connected direct to the Qio or to an internal/external HDD

I can't see why it should be not be as fast as the pana card readers, unless they cut build corners somewhere, you'd imagine for the cost of (three cheap window's laptop's)it would be as fast as the pana's card readers.
More reports/transfer tests would be good to hear from, best test would be a transfer comparison between the Pana PCD35 and the Sonnett Qio.

Cheers

Dan Brockett March 4th, 2010 08:53 AM

Hi Tom:

I meant that I am getting those rates just using the PCMCIA slot on my old PB G4. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Dan

Tom Klein March 4th, 2010 08:04 PM

Sorry Dan,

I read that as if your had compared the Qio to your lappy.

Cheers