DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   How do I use my HPX 170 component out for a monitor? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/489035-how-do-i-use-my-hpx-170-component-out-monitor.html)

Art White December 17th, 2010 08:12 AM

How do I use my HPX 170 component out for a monitor?

Good morning,
This has to be an easy solution, but I can't figure it out at the time. I want to use my HPX 170 as camera input to a Tricaster, switcher. It works fine with the component out to a HD monitor but not to a SD RCA input monitor. I tried the SDI out but I can't figure out the menu settings (if that's what the problem is) to allow it to work. I would like to use the camera along with 2 other SD cameras to record live this weekend.

Is the SDI out the solution and I need to figure out the menu or is it something else?

Thanks for the help
Let me know when I should panic! <grin>
Art

Daniel Epstein December 17th, 2010 11:19 AM

Art,
Should be your settings. Unless the Tricaster can accept SDI then you are looking at using the RCA and setting your camera up properly assuming everything is working properly. Check out AVInOut settings on Page 107 of the manual. Doesn't look like you can use Component and SDI at same time.

Art White December 17th, 2010 12:46 PM

Daniel,
I don't see anything on page 107. I must have an old manual. I was looking at page 167 but I think the Tricaster will not accept SDI anyway. I believe I can use a BNC connector to the SDI connect and try to run it through the system, standard definition using the CMPNT OUT SEL,( that I have never used before) to the Tricaster RCA connect. Just trying to make sure the only way to get a standard-definition out of this camera is through the SDI connect in the back of the camera. I'll play around with the settings in the menu if that's the case.
Thanks!
Art

Daniel Epstein December 17th, 2010 02:27 PM

Art you should try and download a new manual. I think you need to use the RCA video out to get composite SD video. Depending on what you are recording in HD or SD you may have to set the downconvert mode

Art White December 17th, 2010 02:54 PM

I think you are right.
Thanks!
Art

Art White December 17th, 2010 07:22 PM

The SDI out will not give me a standard definition out to connect to RCA. I've tried all the internal settings. My 300 has a video out that works fine. Can't use the 170 this time. Thanks for looking into this.

Art

Daniel Epstein December 19th, 2010 10:12 AM

Art,
If you want composite SD out of the HXP-170 it looks like you can only use the RCA out. The BNC SDI is only SDI. If you wanted to use the SDI then you would need an SDI to composite converter box.
The SD composite out of the camera is the yellow RCA connector. An RCA to BNC Adapter would let you use the camera compsite video out to the Tricaster although this may not be a very sturdy connecction.

Art White December 20th, 2010 10:16 AM

I must be missing the RCA out on this camera. The composite out on this camera ( Red, Green, Blue) is the only out other than Fire Wire and SDI. The green connection will give me a visual at the Tricaster but it's a Black and White image.

Art

Daniel Epstein December 21st, 2010 07:16 AM

Art,
According to the pictures the yellow RCA out is near the white and red audio out RCA connectors under the flap just above the xlr connectors

Art White December 22nd, 2010 04:54 PM

O.k. Daniel,
Thanks for the education. Had this camera for about a year now and never knew where the RCA connection was. I was looking in the back of the camera. Oh well! Thanks! Problem solved.

Art

Daniel Epstein December 24th, 2010 10:25 AM

Your Welcome Merry XMas. It is amazing how much you can learn from the manuals and brochures if you know what to look for.