DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   Viewing AVC-Inrta files from hard drive? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/501426-viewing-avc-inrta-files-hard-drive.html)

Ken Hull October 8th, 2011 11:14 PM

Viewing AVC-Inrta files from hard drive?

I'm thinking of getting the HPX250, but there's this part of the AVC-Intra workflow that puzzles me:
Say I've got several hours worth of AVC-Intra files transfered from P2 cards to a hard drive in my computer. Now I want to review the files, to determine which shots I'm going to import intro my NLE project. Does Panasonic provide a way of viewing the files, without having to import them into the NLE? (I downloaded the P2 Viewer utility, but that seems to be only for accessing from a P2 card.)

BTW, I've got Vega Pro, and would get Raylight Ultra. Maybe Ultra comes with such a utility?

Ken

Daniel Epstein October 9th, 2011 04:43 PM

Re: Viewing AVC-Inrta files from hard drive?

Ken,
If you transfer the files from the P2 card with the structure intact P2CMS will show you the files from a harddrive as well as from the p2 card if your computer is capable of playing back the AVC-Intra. Not sure how well Vegas will handle AVC-Intra natively.

Ken Hull October 9th, 2011 10:57 PM

Daniel,

Thank you for replying.
My NLE, Vegas Pro, does not handle AVC-Intra natively. I would need the Raylight Ultra plugin to do that.
My operating system, Windows7, does not play AVC-Intra files by itself. It would need an application to do that.... and I'm asking if such an application exists. True, I could load all the files into a Vegas project (with the Raylight Ultra plugin), and then view them. But I was hoping for a way to sort through all the takes, then only load the worthwhile takes into the project. I've been searching for an answer to the question of whether or not an AVC-Intra player application exists, but haven't found an answer yet. (Maybe because the answer is "No"?) I looked at Panasonic's free P2 Player, but that is only for playing from a P2 card.

Ken

Robin Probyn October 10th, 2011 02:36 AM

I can play back Intra 100 on my MBP laptop through P2CMS.. sorry cant for the life of me remember where I down loaded from.. although Im pretty sure it was from the Pana site.. but it can be done for sure..

Michael Warren October 10th, 2011 06:30 AM

This site should have the free viewer:
https://eww.pass.panasonic.co.jp/pro...e/download.htm

Mark Donnell October 10th, 2011 07:28 AM

Ken - the free P2 Viewer program will work very well with "virtual" P2 files on your computer in DVCPRO HD, but I think the question is, will it play back AVC-intra files. I haven't worked with AVC-intra, so someone else will need to supply that answer.

Ken Hull October 10th, 2011 11:14 AM

Robin, Michael, Mark:

Thanks for your help. I was able to get a Virtual P2 Card set up. I played the demo P2 Card Image video from Raylight.
It wasn't AVC-Intra, but I did get the AVC-Intra plugin for the P2 Player, so that would probably work. (Anyone have a short sample AVC-Intra Card Image I could test?)

Ken

Bo Skelmose November 1st, 2011 05:07 PM

P2 viewer plays AVC-Infra files.
If you have win7 you need P2 viewer and not P2cms.
You have to set your folder as a virtuel P2 card before you can watch the clips. (Tool / Setting virtuel P2 cards / a litte almost invisible box with a yellow mark).
It is a silly piece of software. Sony Clipbrowser does it much easier than P2 Viewer- but offcourse with Sony EX files.

Ken Hull November 1st, 2011 07:16 PM

Thanks Bo,
I was able to get some sample AVC-Intra P2 card images, and they worked fine with the P2 Player.
Ken

David Jimerson November 1st, 2011 08:05 PM

There's quite a bit you can do with P2 Viewer -- simply viewing clips is barely scratching the surface.

You should use P2 Viewer to transfer your clips off the card. You can also use it to set metadata and metadata uploads.

Oleg Kalyan November 2nd, 2011 06:37 AM

Does FCP 7.0 reads the AVC-Inrta files? Is it possible to do the edit? or is it advisable to convert the files to prores ? what software to I need to convert them on a mac os x platform?

thank you!!

Found the answer, it's possible with a re wrap function of FCP!