DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   This puppy better ship in December!!! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/55618-puppy-better-ship-december.html)

Shannon Rawls December 6th, 2005 12:01 PM

This puppy better ship in December!!!

All the hype and talk about this camera. All the brainwashing I seen done. This camera better come through as promised and ON TIME.

If Sony, JVC or Canon would have did all that Panasonic did (as far as hype goes) and all the people who secretly get a paycheck from panasonic to defend them in these forums by dissing the other manufacturers and talking about how slow they are, and how unreliable they are and how Panasonic is the DV god and is always on time and up to date and smarter all that....If this camera is not released in stores in the month of DECEMBER in the year 2005......lord have mercy!

and I don't wanna hear that "it's ok if they take some time to get it right" crappy speech either. All those people who were around in January/Februrary/March of this year during the breakout of HDV and all the bashing HDV camera owners took for it should know what I am talking about. *smile*

offtopic:

I was thinkig last nihght....if it wasn't for sites such as dvinfo.net. What would you do? I mean think about it. This website actually makes or breaks the decision making for most people as to what stuff they would buy. Examples:
1. People would have been PISSED if they bought Sony's Z1U just to find out CF24 is not what they expected
2. People would have been PISSED if they bought JVC HD100 just to find out they had split screen problems at decibel shooting
3. People would have been PISSED if they bought Canon XL2 just to find out the XLR inputs don't take Line Level in
4. I can go on and on....

and who can we thank for this PRE-SALES knowledge? Damn sure not the brochures that are put out for these products.....But instead...we must thank dvinfo.net community of people who share wisdom & knowledge. Stuff lie this wasn't around 10 years ago when gear needed to be purchased. You just had to 'roll the dice'. Be sure to tell everyone you know who is interested in spending one single penny on anything DV releated to come here and do some due dilligence(sp?) first. and thank the founders.

Ok, back on topic:

Panasonic better come through! (so I can order me one. lol)

- ShannonRawls.com

Steev Dinkins December 6th, 2005 05:27 PM

*Deleted, due to disassociation with this thread - Marty should clarify who he's casting his judgment at.*

Barry Green December 6th, 2005 06:53 PM

There'll be some delivered at the end of December, but you have to understand that the pre-orders have been massive. If you're thinking you can just walk into a store and pick one up, you'll most likely be disappointed. EVS and Abel and other stores like that have waiting lists a hundred deep.

Kurth Bousman December 6th, 2005 08:28 PM

I'd ten times rather they come in months late but be the best camera possible than have a 1000 problems. Come on Shannon , isn't your Zbaby enough to occupy you for a few more months. Even though there's probably a zillion preorders, I bet more people are waiting , like myself , for the bugs to be cleaned out of this camera than any camera before. In a year , p2 prices will have halved , or the package will include a couple of 25 gig cards ! Of course this will be caused by all of the early adopters. I think this next year is the year to buy a used eclair or gsmo on ebay. HDV cameras are killing the used 16mm market , yet , if you've got the money for stock , my opinion is 16mm is still better. Of course , I'm still in love with my z1( I didn't even read about the framerates one the hvx until last week ) so I'll be happy watching from the sidelines for awhile.Be patient. Let pany do a good job. That said , when I did read about the hvxs' framerates , I was hooked. It's just a long tether ! Kurth

Marty Baggen December 7th, 2005 10:25 AM

Good grief... how does anyone have the spare time to be angry at something that isn't even here yet?

Back in the old days before these forums, you might see a magazine ad for an upcoming product..... call your rep, get a rough guess of when it is supposed to be out (which would be wildly off target)..... hear almost no details for a few more months, then get a call from your rep after you have nearly forgotten about the darn thing.

No one is holding a gun to anyone's head to buy ANY gear. 99% of the complainers on these forums are those that are committing to projects in advance of getting their gear (not very bright).... or just in some sort of desparate need to be the first on their block with the new gizmo....or just trying to be the smartest person in the rooom by offering their infinite wisdom on what Sony, JVC, or Panasonic SHOULD have done.

Get a life, get a job....something other than bitching. It takes away from the intent that Chris and others are trying to do here.

Merry Christmas... write when you find work.

Earl Thurston December 7th, 2005 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty Baggen
99% of the complainers on these forums are those that are committing to projects in advance of getting their gear (not very bright)...

Perhaps some are in a situation where the project is going ahead regardless, but they're hoping to have that camera rather than another one.

That's my situation (and note, I'm not complaining :) ). My client has a project scheduled for the January-March period...something I can't control. I'd really LIKE to use the HVX, but if I can't, my backup plan is to use the JVC HD100 instead.

The only problem with this plan is that (a), if I can get the HVX, I'll buy it, but (b) if I need the HD100, I'll have to rent it, and I won't have the budget left to buy the HVX.

Hence, I'm REALLY hoping to get the HVX by mid January. I've put down a deposit and pre-ordered, so hopefully I'm high enough on the list to get some of the first units out.

Needless to say, though, I'm taking a big risk. The camera may (though not likely) be awful. At least my deposit is refundable just in case.

Marty Baggen December 7th, 2005 01:55 PM

Earl.... I can appreciate your position, and you are braver than I.

Were it me, I would have declined the project. As it is, you are going to be thrust into a paying situation with gear that you are largely unfamiliar with. I've turned down deadline sensitive projects that were offered to me during a time that I was performing computer upgrades and o/s changes, or acquisition gear that I haven't taken out and experimented with.

I wouldn't want to have eye surgery performed by a doctor who just took delivery of his new and improved laser yesterday.

Of course the analogy is extreme, but nonetheless, if you have a paying client, it is generally worth more to them to have your skills combined with tools that you are familiar with, than the latest gizmo while you learn it.

My two bits.... and sometimes it costs me money, but there is a shocking amount of return business from those of whom you have told "no" in the past.

I hope you get your HVX in time to work with it, and THEN go make a boatload of money with it!

Philip Williams December 7th, 2005 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earl Thurston
<snip>

Earl Thurston... that rings a bell. Is this your site or just a coincidence?

http://www.neopics.com/bluescreen/

Bill Porter December 7th, 2005 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shannon Rawls
If Sony, JVC or Canon would have did all that Panasonic did

would have done all that Panasonic has.

Quote:

and all the people who secretly get a paycheck from panasonic to defend them in these forums by dissing the other manufacturers and talking about how slow they are

Man are you conspiracy theorist. Let's keep the discussion to facts and not paranoid assertions.

Quote:

....If this camera is not released in stores in the month of DECEMBER in the year 2005......lord have mercy!

Lord have mercy? If it's late it's late. It won't be the end of the world. And it won't break Panasonic, or even hurt them. Anyone who has waited, won't go buy some other camera they don't want. And If it's late no-one will even remember or care a few months from now.

Quote:

This website actually makes or breaks the decision making for most people

Nope. Most people do not read dvinfo. Compare Panasonic's, Canon's, Sony's, and JVC's sales numbers to dvinfo hits. Sorry, Cholly! You are way out by Pluto on this one.

Quote:

1. People would have been PISSED if they bought Sony's Z1U just to find out CF24 is not what they expected
2. People would have been PISSED if they bought JVC HD100 just to find out they had split screen problems at decibel shooting
3. People would have been PISSED if they bought Canon XL2 just to find out the XLR inputs don't take Line Level in

These are all invalid points. If dvinfo didn't exist, readers would still do what the rest of the population does:

1. Test the camera
2. Buy it without testing, "'cause there's always something good and something bad you never expected. That's video for ya!"

The forums do add value for those that use them, though. And we should all be thankful for that!

Jim Exton December 7th, 2005 03:02 PM

You all know Shannon is going to disappear again as this thread grows to 20 pages long, don't you? *smile*

Just kidding.

Chris Hurd December 7th, 2005 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Porter
Most people do not read dvinfo. Compare Panasonic's, Canon's, Sony's, and JVC's sales numbers to dvinfo hits. Sorry, Cholly! You are way out by Pluto on this one If dvinfo didn't exist, readers would still do what the rest of the population does...

Absolutely correct. Only a slim minority of video camera buyers actually use sites like DV Info to make their purchase decisions, and that is the reality of the situation. We do a good job, but we're not really impacting any camera manufacturer's sales to any measurable degree. And that's true for just about any site.

The rest of this thread seems destined for the dead pile, though. After the camera starts shipping, nobody will care or remember what the release date was.

Earl Thurston December 7th, 2005 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty Baggen
Earl.... I can appreciate your position, and you are braver than I. Were it me, I would have declined the project. As it is, you are going to be thrust into a paying situation with gear that you are largely unfamiliar with...

Yeah, I've done weird things like this in the past...and with this same client! Fortunately, we have a really great working relationship. They send me projects that are less mission-critical to them, whereas they use an established ad agency for their more important stuff.

Plus, my plan contains lots of contingencies so I'll be covered no matter which way things may fail. (Because they often do.)

Earl Thurston December 7th, 2005 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philip Williams
Earl Thurston... that rings a bell. Is this your site or just a coincidence? http://www.neopics.com/bluescreen/

Hi Philip. Yep, that's me. The page is seriously out of date. Lots has changed since then (for the better!) I also want to flesh out the site for the rest of the stuff I do to promote it better.

(Note: Film/Video are just sidelines for me, so my regular job - Web programming - takes most of my time.)

Philip Williams December 7th, 2005 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earl Thurston
Hi Philip. Yep, that's me. The page is seriously out of date. Lots has changed since then (for the better!) I also want to flesh out the site for the rest of the stuff I do to promote it better.

(Note: Film/Video are just sidelines for me, so my regular job - Web programming - takes most of my time.)

Small world! My site's green screen section still has a link to your page. At least your site is still up, mine's been down for about a month now (long story). I'm hoping to be back up soon though. And yes, things have indeed changed for the better. After I did some keying with After Effects 6 and Keylight I was compelled to re-do all my green screen pages. The software has gotten SO much better.

Good luck with your HVX purchase, hopefully it'll arrive in time.

Sheila Ward December 8th, 2005 05:28 PM

http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs...72005095451777

Cutting it close for December :-)

Kurth Bousman December 9th, 2005 10:43 AM

Chris - Don't underestimate your influence. You're probably judging from your membership roles , but , it's like an iceberg. There are alot of tourist hits that only read what is said and don't ever join. Most people buying cameras like the hvx will probably research it online. In english ( and probably hindi too ! ) this is the place . Kurth