DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   Vocas Systems kit B3 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/65491-vocas-systems-kit-b3.html)

Peter Richardson April 19th, 2006 07:36 PM

Vocas Systems kit B3

Anyone have experience with this kit, or Vocas products in general? Looking for a mattebox system and I like the integrated shoulder brace on this rig. Thanks!

Peter

Robert Lane April 19th, 2006 11:49 PM

Century Optics sells the Vocas system under their own branding; I have the HVX matte-box system with the large french flag and sidewings (see the photos I posted of the rig here on this site).

The above mentioned photos were taken before ver. 2 of the mount was created. Personally I don't use the flip-out shoulder brace because my rig is either on a jib or tripod and never handheld. Other than that, I chose the Vocas because it had the best build quality and features for the money. I didin't like the Chroziel system and it was too overpriced compared to the Vocas.

Barry Green April 20th, 2006 12:29 AM

I originally bought the Chrosziel, but I've got the Vocas now and I like it better. Chrosziel has a bigger name, but the Vocas does three things better than the Chrosziel did: it can handle the Century .6 with no vignetting (the Chrosziel did slight vignetting), it fits the Century 1.6 tele (the Chrosziel *almost* fits but not quite), and the french flag shuts completely over the front of the lens, serving as an impromptu lens cap, whereas the Chrosziel doesn't shut all the way.

The Chrosziel can use CAvision filter holders, and while I don't have much positive experience with CAvision, their $59 filter holders are awfully attractive when compared to the $200 Chrosziel ones...

Peter Richardson April 21st, 2006 01:41 AM

Thanks for the tips guys. Sounds like the Vocas is the way to go. Where's the best place to pick up a system?

Peter

Tip McPartland April 21st, 2006 04:50 AM

Don't forget Petroff

Look at Petroff matte boxes too at www.ste-man.com

Leonard Levy April 22nd, 2006 05:34 PM

Barry,
why did the Chrosziel vignette?
Seems like 4x4 should be 4x4 on either rig.
Was it set up further away from the lens?
Same question re: the tele adapter.
Here it would seem the opposite problem.
Were you using rods or clamp on.

I'm trying to decide and wish I could try all 3 (maybe NAB)
Will the Vocas or Petroff use Crosziel filter holders?
Also can you rotate both stages on the vocas. That is attractive to me on the Petroff or the Chrosziel clamp on.
Does the Vocas also have clamp on option?

Also you Petroff guys? Does the 4x5 take 4x4 filters in both stages without vignetting. I do not want to have to by 5x5 filters.

Have you guys tried a round filter in the HVX 82mm followed by a 2 stage mattebox with grads.
I sometimes like 3 filters.
You can stack as many as 3 82's on the HVX before vignetting.

Barry Green April 22nd, 2006 07:38 PM

The Chrosziel is a notably bigger box, and with the .6 it vignettes very slightly by catching the edges of the mattebox.

The Chrosziel has something like a 104mm maximum diameter, and the Century 1.6 is something like 105mm. It *almost* fits, but just doesn't. The Vocas is designed to work with both Century products so there's no issue with it.

Leonard Levy April 22nd, 2006 08:33 PM

So its the sunshade that vignettes, not the filter holder. Hmm
Sounds like it would fit the upcoming .75 though.

What's the problem with the tele adapter?

BTW - How do you like the .6 ?
Is it sharp? what about distortion?

What about the filter holder question, will vocas work with Chrosziel or CAvision holders.
( I just bought a vertical 4x5.6 Chrosziel holder on ebay and I don't even have the mate box yet - have had the grads for years though.)

Barry Green April 23rd, 2006 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leonard Levy
What's the problem with the tele adapter?

The tele adapter's front outer diameter is a little bigger than the Chrosziel's ring. It just doesn't fit inside.

Quote:

BTW - How do you like the .6 ?
Is it sharp? what about distortion?
Plenty sharp, and very very wide. But yes, a lot of barrel distortion.

Quote:

What about the filter holder question, will vocas work with Chrosziel or CAvision holders.
Will not work with Chrosziel, that I can verify. The CAvision filter holders will work with one or the other but not both, and I don't remember if the CAvisions fit the Chrosziel or the Vocas, I think they fit the Chrosziel.

Leonard Levy April 23rd, 2006 01:59 AM

Thanks Barry,
That's really useful.

Is it correct that to use any of the adapter lenses with the Vocas, you would need to be on rods rather than clamp on?

I guess if i get a Vocas, i'll have to sell my new shiny used Chosziel 4x5.6 holder

Scott Auerbach April 23rd, 2006 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leonard Levy
So its the sunshade that vignettes, not the filter holder. Hmm
Sounds like it would fit the upcoming .75 though.

FWIW, I have the CO/Vocas mattebox and the new .75 on order, both of which will hopefully arrive next week, a few days after the camera. Or so I'm told. I'll post a review of how everything bolts together as soon as I have a chance to play.

Barry Green April 24th, 2006 01:46 AM

I have the rods, so I don't know whether you could do clamp-on or not. I really doubt you could clamp-on on the additional lenses, because they employ this soft shround ring system for alternate-size lenses instead of clamp-on, so count on getting rods if you want to use the Vocas for the alternate lenses.

Albert Cheng April 24th, 2006 11:42 AM

The Century Optics 1.6 Tele does fit the Chrosziel mattebox just fine. You just need to unscrew the stepdown ring on the rear of the mattebox and you get a perfect fit.

Peter Richardson April 30th, 2006 10:02 AM

About to buy this mattebox. Two quick questions:

1. Barry: Do you have the Wide angle version of the mattebox, or the standard version? I'll be using mine with the CO .6 adapter at times, so wanted to make sure I'd be ok.

2. Where did you guys get yours? This is what I could find at BH:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

Barry Green April 30th, 2006 11:02 PM

It's the wide-angle mark ii. Check out that century .6 before buying though. It causes a lot of barrel distortion.