DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   P2 Store to Mac SLOW TRANSFER... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/67592-p2-store-mac-slow-transfer.html)

Tom Reid May 17th, 2006 04:06 PM

P2 Store to Mac SLOW TRANSFER...

I'm having a problem copying a 4gb "no name" partition to a new folder on the drive. It's taking like 20 minutes. System Info shows it's in the USB High-Speed bus on the front of the mac. But this is really slow. G5 Dual w/2 Gigs RAM. I'm copying the content and txt to simply a new folder on my HD.

Did a search and found nothing. Nothing in Panny's book either (to my previous replier in Australia!! ha!)

Thanks in advance...

Dan Brockett May 17th, 2006 06:51 PM

Me too!

Hi:

Same story here, 8GB cards are taking 45-48 minutes to load off of the P2 store into all of my Macs. I am too paranoid to turn of the verification function but why in the heck can I copy an 8GB p2 card from a hard drive to another hard drive in like, 6 minutes per card, yet coming off of the P2 Store, it takes forever?

Same thing, the P2 cards inserted into my PB G4 PCMCIA slot copy in 6-8 minutes so why is the P2 Store so glacially slow?

Frustrated!

Dan

Matt Irwin May 17th, 2006 07:22 PM

This may be a dumb question, but are you using a USB 1 cable with the P2 Store's USB 2 interface? That would slow things down, but I can't imagine it would turn six minutes into forty five...

Tom Reid May 17th, 2006 07:44 PM

No dumb questions Matt...

I'll try a cable that says USB2.0. I shoot 2GB cards all day long on a Nikon D2X for my still end of the business and we've never had a card take longer than 3 min. to download. So if you figure 6 min. for a 4 gig...that's what we're expecting. I'll try another cable just to see. One of my producer/editors is using the camera for a independent feature right now so it's hard for me to test unless I have them do it.

We'll check cables first...

Thanks!

Tom Reid May 17th, 2006 07:48 PM

USB 2.0 or 1.0

How can you tell? We are using LaCie cables from our other drives... Just curious.

Alex Huppenthal May 17th, 2006 11:23 PM

Mac's USB 2 transfer rates are closer to USB 1

I started using Apple Mac's in the 80s. I moved to PCs when Apples technology stagnated. I bought a macbook pro in February. nice product. Good to see Apple back in form again.

I did notice that all my very fast USB 2 PC drives operate as if they are just slightly faster than USB 1 on the Macbook Pro. Apple should be embarrased by their USB 2 performance on Macbook Pros. I don't have the exact figures, but I'd have to say perhaps 20 mbit/second rather than any thing close to 480 mbit spec. I'm left with converting all my USB drives to Firewire - which works well on the Mac. Not sure I'm going to do that.

I'm also very interested in the P2 HVX200 issue, since DV ProHD is such an attractive editing and capture format. Will need a firewire P2 card reader.

Matt Irwin May 18th, 2006 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Reid
How can you tell? We are using LaCie cables from our other drives... Just curious.

The connectors look identical, so you would want to find a cables that says on it that it's USB 2. You could always just buy a new cable to be sure...

Tom Reid May 18th, 2006 07:48 AM

FCP to Import, then archive?

What we found from more testing...import straight from P2 Store to FCP. Around 2 min. for a 4 gig card. Then, bu the import from the scratch disk. EVERYONE I've talked to that tries to drag from P2 Store to a new folder for each cards partition is experiencing SLOW 20 minute times for a 4 gig card. Works on a PC much faster, but not on a MAC! So, import with FCP and then BU the scratch.

PLEASE let me know if anything else comes up.

Dan Brockett May 18th, 2006 08:46 AM

You Learn...

Hi all:

USB 2 cables, huh? I never even knew such a thing existed. Chalk it up to ignorance and for having been a Machead for so long. I knew that USB 1.1 and 2.0 were compatible so I never even thought that there was such a thing as separate cables for both.

Will pickup a USB 2.0 cable from Frys and will try it again and will report back on the results.

If I could get the P2 Store to download onto a hard drive as fast as the P2 cards into the G4 PB, it would rekindle my love affair with the P2 Store. Other than it being so damned slow to offload, I really like the P2 Store.

Best,

Dan

Tom Reid May 18th, 2006 10:22 AM

Have you tried direct to FCP Dan

Dan-

Try what I mentioned in the earlier reply. I don't believe there's a cable issue going on. Mine shows that it's on High Speed USB. It's more like an MS-DOS to Mac Format think between drives. Just yet another thought. Seriously, it's faster straight into FCP.

Jan Crittenden Livingston May 18th, 2006 10:33 AM

I think it is more than a cable, the system should be a USB 2 system. USB 1 is slow. Sorry,

Jan

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Brockett
Hi all:

USB 2 cables, huh? I never even knew such a thing existed. Chalk it up to ignorance and for having been a Machead for so long. I knew that USB 1.1 and 2.0 were compatible so I never even thought that there was such a thing as separate cables for both.

Will pickup a USB 2.0 cable from Frys and will try it again and will report back on the results.

If I could get the P2 Store to download onto a hard drive as fast as the P2 cards into the G4 PB, it would rekindle my love affair with the P2 Store. Other than it being so damned slow to offload, I really like the P2 Store.

Best,

Dan

Tom Reid May 18th, 2006 10:45 AM

Jan..please help on this!

Jan-

Please look over this thread. It seems that many of us are encountering a problem simply copying from P2 Store to the hard drive. I have an editor testing out the direct into FCP as I'm typing this and will confirm that back shortly.

Tom

Eric Emerick May 18th, 2006 10:57 AM

USB 2 cable

Never heard of a USB 2 specific cable, maybe it's a marketing ploy. I use old cables with USB 2 ports and I get a big speed increase. This site may help with any problems/questions. http://www.everythingusb.com/usb2/faq.htm

Jan Crittenden Livingston May 18th, 2006 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Reid
Jan-

Please look over this thread. It seems that many of us are encountering a problem simply copying from P2 Store to the hard drive. I have an editor testing out the direct into FCP as I'm typing this and will confirm that back shortly.

Tom

Tom I am not arguing that the USB 2 is faster than Firewire on a MAC. It clearly isn't. What I am saying is that the USB1 is vastly slower than USB2 and that also can impact the time required for the transfer. So if you check to see if your MAC is USB1 or USB2 that may explain why it is so slow. If the P2 store had firewire that would be great, but it does not.

Best,

Jan

Dan Euritt May 18th, 2006 04:15 PM

tom, i think that this was covered in the cow thread that you referred to earlier, did you read the link that barry posted: http://www.barefeats.com/usb2.html

the mac implementation of usb 2 is apparently inferior, and not up to usb 2 specs... i'm speculating that a poorly written usb 2 driver might account for the speed differences you are seeing, when importing the files using different methods.

why would panasonic be responsible for that?