DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   Anyone using the SCPAN-6000 Battery? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/69135-anyone-using-scpan-6000-battery.html)

Denis Danatzko June 8th, 2006 06:45 AM

Anyone using the SCPAN-6000 Battery?

Checked the web site of Specialized Communications,; it doesn't specify if these are LiOn or NiCad. (Don't want to ASSume one or the other).

Also, does the TC400 charger from Dolgin Engineering work with those SCPAN-6000 batteries? (Another item the web site does not specify).

I've been told that LiOn batteries do not require - in fact SHOULD not undergo - discharge. Because the TC400 can contain a discharge option, I'm led to believe that the batteries are NiCad, NOT LiOn.

Lastly, Spec Comm offers a package for $ 795 - 4 batteries, the charger, and the correct charging plates, but it doesn't mention if that package includes the discharge (or other options). Does anyone know more about this package?

All replies welcome.

David Linetsky June 8th, 2006 02:40 PM

Hi Denis,

The Battery is Li-Ion, which is the only thing these cameras support.

The package does not come with any options.

The Charger is very smart. The options all support the Li-Ion batteries and there is protection circuitry in the battery itself, making it smart as well. Cycling the Li-Ion batteries is still a good thing and will allow you to get the most out of them if they sit around a lot, if not don't worry about it. Li-Ion batteries do not develop a memory like Ni-Cads, but do temporarily loose some of their capacity if not used.

Any other questions?

Hope this helps,

David

Denis Danatzko June 8th, 2006 06:27 PM

David,

yes, it certainly does. A BIG THANKS for your reply. And yes, and a couple more questions:

You say "...temporarily lose some of their capacity...". I'm inferring that any loss of capacity is restored upon re-charging the battery. Am I correct?

I'm seriously considering the package, and am wondering if Spec Comm also offers any device that would allow 2 or more batteries to be connected simultaneously to prolong run-time? If not, is anything under consideration?

Lastly, what kind of life span can I expect from the SCPAN-6000? I.e. is there a minimum number of charge cycles it will survive? Or a minimum number of "hours in use"? Some other parameter?

Thanks again.
Denis

David Linetsky June 9th, 2006 10:58 AM

Denis,

Li-Ion batteries do lose some of their charge by sitting around although much slower than Ni-Cads. If you don't use them for a while it will take a couple of charges to get them back to their full capacity, unlike Ni-Cads which do develop a memory. You don't need the discharge option and we don't normally stock the chargers with it. Just use them every so often.

We do not have a device to connect the batteries together. They do have circuitry and that provide information to the camera, so it would have to be a smart device.

We use the best cells available, so you can expect as long of a life as you would from any other high quality Li-Ion battery such as the one from Panasonic. There are theoretical figures of how long these cells live, but it's not really useful information, because we haven't had any fail yet and real world figures are the ones that matter. We guarantee them for a year and that's longer than most manufacturers. Try them, for a couple of days, if you don't like them, we'll take them back, no questions asked.

I hope I got all the questions,

David

Denis Danatzko June 9th, 2006 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Linetsky
I hope I got all the questions,

David

David,
yes you did. THANKS.

I think I'll order the package right now.

Denis

Denis Danatzko June 12th, 2006 07:27 PM

David L...one more question.

I ordered the batteries and charger Friday. Batteries arrived today; charger was out of stock, but is being drop-shipped.

My question:
Can I charge the batteries using the (Panasonic) charger that comes with the HVX camera, or must I charge them only with the TC-400 unit? (May seem like a stupid question, but because you say they're "smart", I don't want to risk damaging them).

Thanks again for your help (and the prompt shipment).

Denis

David Linetsky June 12th, 2006 09:05 PM

Denis,

The batteries are fully compatible with the Panasonic charger.

I'll also check on your order tomorrow and e-mail you.

Thanks a lot for your business,

David

Denis Danatzko June 13th, 2006 04:45 PM

David,

charger arrived today...THANKyouverymuch.

Denis

David Linetsky June 13th, 2006 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denis Danatzko

Denis

Great, even before I got the information. :)

Feel free to contact me with any questions.

David

Alex Dolgin June 19th, 2006 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denis Danatzko

Denis

Denis, please feel free to ask any question you might have in reference to the TC400 charger. As far as your original question on the discharge module in the charger, it is more of a test/diagnostic tool. One would use it to test an older or questionable battery. The charger fully charges the battery, and then discharges it under control conditions, measuring amount of energy in AH that the battery was able to deliver.
HTH
Alex Dolgin

Denis Danatzko June 20th, 2006 12:08 PM

Thanks, Alex.

While I didn't order the discharge option, I do have a question about the charger:
When using it with a power inverter for/from a car cigarette lighter, what can I expect re: re-charge times, i.e. similar, or lengthier re-charge times than from a home A/C outlet? I haven't tried it yet, but I'm sure I will in the not-too-distant future, and would like to be prepared for eventual outcome.

The inverters I have are:
1 @ 300 watt dual A/C outlet (with fan)
1 @ 100 watt single A/C outlet (without fan)

Lastly, tonight might be the first time I actually get a chance to try and drain some of the batteries. I'll be 3rd camera on a shoot, but it's more as an exercise to get familiar with my camera than a paying gig. (I'll only get paid if my material gets used).

Thanks, again,
Denis

Alex Dolgin June 20th, 2006 12:19 PM

Denis, your choice of inverters will make no difference, it will take the same time as if plugged in AC outlet. May I suggest to use a much better way to use it in a car; you really do not need an inverter, you can plug in directly into the 12V socket. The only thing you need is a simple cable, cigarette lighter plug on one end, a 2.1mm DC plug on another (the same as the AC adapter that comes with the charger). You also would not need to bring the AC adapter with you, as it is needed to produce 12V power, that your car provides anyway. (If you need the cable, you can contact your dealer, we will drop ship the cable to you)
HTH
Alex Dolgin

Denis Danatzko June 4th, 2008 07:03 AM

Spec Comm battery concern:

I've had the 4 Spec Comm batteries and turbo charger since this thread was posted.

Now, when I place 2 of them in the charger, the LCD shows that they are "Ready", but have 0.0 AH. Does that mean they are effectively "dead"/unable to store a charge? I've used direct (AC) power whenever possible, probably twice as much as I've used the batteries, and I only have about 125 hrs +/- on the HVX. I have a total of 5 batteries: 4 Spec Comm and I Panny. Even with switching them out, I know I haven't used all five for a total of more than 75 hrs.

Do I need new batteries already?

Thanks for any feedback.

Denis Danatzko August 9th, 2008 08:20 PM

From bad to worse, or maybe not...

Now, when I put all 4 of my SCPANs in the turbo charger, the LCD shows , as usual, it's "scanning" for batteries 1 thru 4.

They're in the charger as I'm typing this:
Battery 1 shows 8.30V at 90% but 0.01 AH (I just checked it again, and it's up to 0.02 AH).
Battery 2 is not reported/appears to not be recognized at all,
Battery 3 shows "READY" but 0.00 AH, and
Battery 4 alternates between "Ready" with 0.00 AH, or is not reported at all.

One by one I took them out of the turbo charger and put them in the single charger that came with the camera. This is what happened:
Battery 1 got the green "charge" LED to light up, even though the turbo charger's LCD claims it's "READY",
Battery 2 did NOT cause the green "charge" LED to light up (the turbo charger did not even report on it),
Battery 3 got the green "charge" LED to light up, even though the turbo charger's LCD claims it's "READY".
Battery 4 got the green "charge" LED to light up, even though the turbo charger's LCD claims it's "READY".

I have no confidence that the batteries will power my camera until I attach them to it, (and even then, I don't know how long the charge is likely to last), and less confidence in the report from the charger's LCD.

The batteries still power my HVX, (though I haven't done a test by timing how long they keep the camera powered). SO, I think maybe the charger is not working properly.

If anyone can recommend some sure-fire way (that's safe to do at home) to check and confirm if it's the batteries, the charger, or both, I'd greatly appreciate it. (Without inserting each battery in the camera and timing how long it stays powered-up). Right now, I can't afford to replace 4 batteries and/or a charger, whether Panny originals or something else, (and I suspect I'm not alone), but I've got to find some way to resolve this dilemma.

All input appreciated.