DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   720/24p output to DVD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/71752-720-24p-output-dvd.html)

James Bart July 18th, 2006 05:21 PM

720/24p output to DVD

Been doing some shooting in 720/24p mode. I would like to create a DVD with the footage shot. Have exported quicktime movie for DVD studio pro and played back on a non HD tv. Footage looks horrible!!! Anyone able to tell me what I'm doing wrong???

Bart

Matt Irwin July 18th, 2006 06:12 PM

Can you describe what you mean by "horrible?"

Did you export using Compressor or "using Quicktime Conversion?"

Mike Schrengohst July 18th, 2006 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Bart
Been doing some shooting in 720/24p mode. I would like to create a DVD with the footage shot. Have exported quicktime movie for DVD studio pro and played back on a non HD tv. Footage looks horrible!!! Anyone able to tell me what I'm doing wrong???

Bart

So is your footage 24pN? And you are in an FCP 720 24p setup?
You should be able to playback footage without rendering (except for some transitions or other effects)?

OK, first off File>export>QuickTime .mov

Current settings, Audio & video, make movie self contained.

<<<<Do not export to compressor from the FCP timeline. There is a gamma shift bug I learned about the hard way.>>>>

Now, you have a new .mov.
Close FCP, open compressor.
Pick - DVD, best quality 90 min 16:9
Just pick all for this tutorial.
Remember where you save the files!

Let it render, go get lunch (a long one)
Now you have three files, the video .m2v
and two audio files.
Go into DVD Studio Pro and import the video file and the .ac3 audio file.
Do your authoring and build and burn as you normally would.
The secret here is DO NOT LET DVDSP ENCODE THE DVD FILE!!

Contact me at : dvd.pro@verizon.net if you need any more help!!

James Bart July 18th, 2006 07:31 PM

I should give more detail

Shooting in 720/24p mode. Not PN!! I exported a self contained movie file from the final cut timeline using the export feature directly from final cut (export quicktime movie). The way the sequence is set up is 720/60...the reason for this is that the 720/24p mode is over 60. So when i drop clips in the timeline, they play without having to render in order to play. When I say the rendered file looks horrible, I mean that the video loses TONS of resolution (and yes, I understand that I'll lose some in the conversion) and almost looks like a bad interlace job. Any other questions you have that might help me out, shoot em over and I'll let you know.

Thanks again,

Bart

Mike Schrengohst July 18th, 2006 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Bart
Shooting in 720/24p mode. Not PN!! I exported a self contained movie file from the final cut timeline using the export feature directly from final cut (export quicktime movie). The way the sequence is set up is 720/60...the reason for this is that the 720/24p mode is over 60. So when i drop clips in the timeline, they play without having to render in order to play. When I say the rendered file looks horrible, I mean that the video loses TONS of resolution (and yes, I understand that I'll lose some in the conversion) and almost looks like a bad interlace job. Any other questions you have that might help me out, shoot em over and I'll let you know.

Thanks again,

Bart

If it is for DVD 720 24pN is a better choice.
24p is really for something going back to tape.

You should a reverse tele-cine on the 24p files and edit
in a 24p timeline. DVD is 29.97 not 59.94 that is one of your
problems. You could edit in 720 60p but at some point you need
to get back to 29.97 or 23.976.
Go try a test shooting at 24pN and follow my steps and see what you get.
I only shot 24p with the DVX.
24p is really for something going back to tape.