DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   30PN- whoops!! need help syncing (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/75995-30pn-whoops-need-help-syncing.html)

Wendy Rubin September 21st, 2006 08:59 PM

30PN- whoops!! need help syncing

We accidentally recorded in 30p NATIVE. We recorded the audio separately at 30fps, but cannot sync them. Does anyone know how to fix???
Thanks!

Mike Schrengohst September 21st, 2006 10:44 PM

You mean like the audio was recorded on a audio recorder and not the HVX??
The HVX can record very good audio....
But if it was all 30p???
Please explain

Wendy Rubin September 21st, 2006 11:29 PM

different speeds or interpolation?

It is not possible to record audio when the camera is in the 30pn mode to the P2 cards. We had a separate audio recorder and recorded it at 30fps. When we sync in FCP, it loses lock in about 5 seconds. Something weird is going on...

We called panasonic and their suggestion was to post here.

Barry Green September 22nd, 2006 12:29 AM

It's certainly possible to record audio when shooting 720/30pN. That's no problem at all. The only time it doesn't record audio is if you're overcranking or undercranking. But if you're shooting 720/30pN at 30fps, it recorded audio on the cards.

Second, why wouldn't it sync? Audio doesn't have a "frame rate", and both the video and audio should be crystal-controlled, so as long as you have a point of reference for the start of the shot it should stay in sync, at least for a long time...

Jason Boyce September 22nd, 2006 02:13 AM

Is your timeline at 30PN as well? If your timeline is set to 24PN and you put in a 30PN clip, that might account for the difference.

Wendy Rubin September 22nd, 2006 02:23 AM

P2 info

This is the info off the card:
vformat: dv100_720/59.94p
frame rate:29.97
rec rate: 24f

The menu says: rec format: 720p/30p
rec mode: dvcpro50

Not sure exactly what what happened when we recorded it. When we called Panasonic, they said that it was at 30pnative. Regardless, we can't get the sound to sync. I just did a new sequence with the timeline with the set-up at 720/30p and still have the sync issue. It doesn't even last 1 1/2 seconds before it seems to go completely out. The audio is going at a much slower rate than the video. All suggestions are welcome :)

Thanks

Mike Schrengohst September 22nd, 2006 10:22 AM

Make sure you sample rates are at 48K, what did you record the audio with?

Wendy Rubin September 23rd, 2006 11:50 AM

still cannot sync

recorded audio on a hard disc audio recorder. Someone suggested that the issue may have to do with Metadata. Don't know what that is...?

Mike Schrengohst September 23rd, 2006 01:20 PM

How are you dumping the audio into your system??
What is the sample rate??

Wendy Rubin September 23rd, 2006 01:23 PM

It was just copied from the audio hard drive to my external drive. It was originally recorded as a WAV file. Then just imported into FCP.

Nate Weaver September 23rd, 2006 01:36 PM

So Rec Rate says 24P?

Sounds like you overcranked 30fps while recording in 24p mode. That wouldn't be 30pn mode; that's why nothing is syncing. In other words, you shot 124% slow motion. It's so slight it doesn't look much like slow motion, though.

If you set the files to play back at the frame rate they were shot at, then your files become "real time" then. If you're on a Mac, you can use Cinema Tools to conform these files to 29.97.

Of course I could be diagnosing this wrong, but...

Wendy Rubin September 23rd, 2006 01:39 PM

Thanks-I'll give it a shot now!

Wendy Rubin September 23rd, 2006 02:14 PM

In cinema tools, it says the frame rate is 29.97. Not sure what to do...

Mike Schrengohst September 24th, 2006 06:48 PM

Duplicate that clip and then conform it to 23.98.....
It may also need Reverse Tele-cine....
Don't perform these procedures on your original clip.
Then put your conformed clip in a 720 24p sequence...
drop you audio in and see where you are at....
If that is not the problem duplcate your audio...
then try stretching it our 124% or shrinking it by 80%...
Kinda like skating on marbles???

Wendy Rubin September 25th, 2006 11:03 AM

Right on! That worked. Didn't need the rev telecine. I do have to render the conformed clip when I place it in the 24p sequence. Can you tell me what we did wrong when we shot it?
Thanks!!!!
Wendy