DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   How to simulate the look of Super 8 Film?... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/77835-how-simulate-look-super-8-film.html)

Lorry Smyth October 20th, 2006 12:12 AM

How to simulate the look of Super 8 Film?...

On a music video I am shooting on my HVX200, there are a few sequences I wanted to shoot on Super 8 Kodachrome reversal. However though I have Super 8 gear (even old stock in the refrigerator) due to the very limited time constrains of the shoot and post I have got to do it all done on the HVX. What would be the best settings in camera + software/plug-ins in post to best emulate the grainy, rocky/unstable and scratchy look of old stock Super 8 film?

Thanks in advance!! :)

Neil Roberts October 20th, 2006 12:21 AM

I really like the look of the Magic Bullet suite for filters, there are some on there that mimic damaged film. Can do some really nice grading to your footage too which mimics film processes like bleach bypass etc. I have used cinelook in After Effects but not sure if that is still available for latest versions.

Randolph Duke October 20th, 2006 07:14 AM

True- the best way to get "film look" is to shoot film but when you can't:

I would shoot on tape and crank up the chroma and saturate the heck out of the image. Maybe even turn up the grain and let it get noisy?

Chris Barcellos October 20th, 2006 10:02 AM

Crude adapter

Recently, I was messing around with a Black plastic pipe fittings, in conjunction with stretched plastic bag material (from the produce bags at a grocery store) as a "ground glass" medium , a old set 35mm of close up lenses, and a 35mm lens, to fashion a crude 35mm adapter. While the result was horrible in terms of a 35mm adapter, the footage did remind me of old Super 8 footage.....

David Tamés October 26th, 2006 10:57 PM

I'm going to second and underline Neil Roberts' comments, the best way to make video footage look like it was shot in Super 8 is Magic Bullet (Editors or Suite). I use Magic Bullet Editors with Final Cut Pro and I love the Misfire Film Effects filter because of the level of control it provides over all aspects of the look, grain, scratches, gate weave, gamma, flicker, dirt, etc. Lots of control and choices. And a great set of looks too.

Best to start with real 24P footage. If you're starting with 60i footage then use DVFilm or the full Magic Bullet Suite (requires Adobe After Effects) to do the frame rate / scan conversion.

P.S. Version 2 really rocks and if you have a copy of Version 1 that came bundled with the DVX for a while, you can upgrade it just like a regular copy.

David Tamés October 26th, 2006 11:03 PM

And another thing...

I love film and I've shot lots of Super 8, 16mm, and even some 35mm in my time, but these days, I have to say, with faster and faster computers available, I'd rather shoot 24P video with a DVX or HVX and create the exact film look in post. For what you could easily spend on the Film, Processing, and Telecine bill on a project you can buy a copy of Magic Bullet and a Mac Pro. I would not have said this 5 years ago... but I say it now.