DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   HVX's big brother: HPX500 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/79962-hvxs-big-brother-hpx500.html)

Shawn Alyasiri November 30th, 2006 09:13 AM

Was there a price listed for the 500, and is the HPX still $26k list (body)?

I've been anxiously awaiting the HPX - but would really like to know the main differences between the two, especially if there is a substantial price difference.

Any speculation on the front end chip resolution and/or light sensitivity on either? I thought the HPX was looking to be F10@2000 & the front end was 1370x744, pixel shifting for 1080i.

It also looks like it's confirmed that the HPX isn't doing any native frame-rates, and the 500 is in 720p (which is a bit disappointing, price considered).

I guess the new codec option is an HPX selling point as well, although I'd want to know that it was going to jive with Edius.

For something rumored to come out in Jan, I'd really like to catch some confirmed specs written in english.

That considered, I forecast a wait until April at NAB for choice on the new cam (as well as another marathon of craps, blackjack & cognac).

Michael Wisniewski November 30th, 2006 11:40 PM

See this thread in the Digital Video Industry News forum to check out the new Panasonic AJ-HPX2000 P2 HD Camcorder

Cees Mutsaers December 1st, 2006 04:06 PM

Can you use this cam with your left eye/shoulder?

Robert Lane January 5th, 2007 09:39 AM

New Info

There's more info on the HPX500 now; goto this site: https://eww.pavc.panasonic.co.jp/pro-av/index.html

Click on P2 News and you'll see a flash page about the camera development and a downloadable english-version of the Japanese PDF that circled the web last fall.

Still no pics of the business side (left) of the camera but at least we know for sure it's got all the goodies of the HVX and a lot more - exactly what you'd expect from and ENG-type body.

No more word on price either, but since it's being marketed as a cost-effective step-up from the HVX I can't imagine they'll be pricing it more than the HPC2000 - lets hope.

Barry Green January 5th, 2007 12:37 PM

Supposed to be much less than the HPC2000. HPC2000 is around $26,000 or so, the HPX500 should be more like $15,000-$17,000.

Mark Sasahara January 7th, 2007 02:18 AM

Just curious and not into format bashing, but has anyone done a dollar comparison for a "typical" set up for XDCAM and P2 workflos? This would be for indie film as well as delivery for broadcast.

And Good God Yes, a standardized workflo and format.

Robert Lane January 7th, 2007 11:20 AM

Mark,

Yes, in fact with my largest customer (can't reveal corporation name, but they "fly" a lot) we did cost analysis, standardized workflow comparisons, equipment cost (both initial buy-in and long-term) and compatibility tests with current NLE's; the P2 system came out ahead in almost all categories and by a large margin. At the time they had already purchased the F350 and supporting XDCAM deck so we had facetime with the entire system.

After our 3 month evaluation they have since migrated over to the DVCPRO codec and will most likely be purchasing the HPC2000 when it's released.

Mark Sasahara January 7th, 2007 01:18 PM

Robert, Thanks!

I'm looking at taking the plunge and was seriously considering the 350, it's a pretty nifty rig. A client had one, so I did play with it a bit, but it belonged to Sony, so I didn't have much time with it before it was sent back.

What are folks doing for long term P2 storage? I'm a bit paranoid about only having things on a hard drive and re-writable DVD's supposedly go bad after 5 years. Supposedly the next iteration of the Varicam will use D5 tape. It would be nice if there were one HD tape format.

Robert Lane January 7th, 2007 04:39 PM

Mark,

I can honestly tell you that if the F350 had been shooting DVCPRO-HD, HDCAM or been P2 based I'd have jumped on it myself. It's a great camera, albeit limited to the 1/2" inch lens mount. It is a shooters camera, no doubt. But, as a whole the XDCAM system just didn't add up for myself nor my client - and my relationship with my client goes back years and will extend for the forseeable future, so it was tantamount that I could back up my recommendations now and for the future.

HDD's are the preferred storage method for just about any media these days. It's still an ongoing debate - the viability of drives or DVD or even Blu-Ray longterm, but statistically and as proven by MTB failure rates of the last 10 years, HDD's are reliable, cost effective and highly versatile. Just like cameras and systems, there is no one all-perfect storage solution (diversity helps in all schemes) but HDD's have the least potentail problems of them all.

Mark Sasahara January 7th, 2007 05:11 PM

Thanks Robert, much appreciated. I see many Terrabytes of storage in my future.