DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   Is anyone using the P2 Genie? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/81484-anyone-using-p2-genie.html)

James Carver December 10th, 2006 09:45 PM

Is anyone using the P2 Genie?

i'm thinking about getting the p2 genie but i was wondering what is the advantages of using the p2 genie versus just inserting the p2 card into your laptop and copy and pasting your files into a folder?

also are you able to preview your HD footage with the p2 genie on your computer? and if so, will it allow you a big preview window or just like a small thumbnail preview??

Eric Peltier December 10th, 2006 10:33 PM

james
the P2 genie is a great app. to help you dump your p2 cards onto a laptop or drive or both etc.
It automates the process for you, all you have to do is insert the card in the PCMCIA slot, p2 genie does the rest, it can also reformat the card when it's done copying the MXF files and it can be set up to make a automatic backup onto a second drive.
By doing all this manually (without p2 genie) you're more prone to make mistakes, especially if it's during a stressful shoot where you have to worry about many other tasks.
I say for the price, and as long as you follow the P2 genie instruction carefully, it's a must have.
This is not an app to preview your footage.
e.

James Carver December 11th, 2006 09:31 AM

thanks!

okay cool, but is there an application that will let me view my p2 footage on my PC before i finish my shoot and go home to import it into my Mac???

Dick Campbell December 11th, 2006 10:23 AM

You can download the free "P2 Viewer" from the Pansonic site, if you already have the P2 Utility software installed. This allows preview of on camera P2 cards, or "virtual" cards on your laptop.

James Carver December 11th, 2006 10:39 AM

cool, that sounds like what i'm looking for, but what are virtual cards?

Eric Peltier December 11th, 2006 12:29 PM

P2 viewer is only for PC not MAC- unfortunately

Dick Campbell December 11th, 2006 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Peltier
P2 viewer is only for PC not MAC- unfortunately

oops- sorry, forgot about that. I use a XP laptop for field capture before transfer to my Mac.

A virtual P2 card is P2 files captured to HD that the viewer can preview.

Brian Sargent December 11th, 2006 01:26 PM

I don't know...

I've had a little trouble w/the P2 Genie. For some reason having to do w/mac file structure, the developer told me that the date naming convention does not work so well. That has been my experience and I've had to switch to a REEL# convention, which I don't really care for.

Because I don't always write to the same drive, I have to keep track of the last Reel # that was written to that particular drive. On occasion, I've forgotten to check and I've overwritten material. Operator error to be sure, but I want a program to protect me from myself in those chaotic environs. I do like that you can write to more than one drive at a time though. Plus its pretty cheap, but I still think it can be improved before I would recommend it.

Andzei Matsukevits December 11th, 2006 02:30 PM

will it work with new Dual Systems PCMCIA card?

Stephen Pruitt December 11th, 2006 09:37 PM

I just love P2 Genie. . . I've never had a glitch. . . what a buy!

Stephen