DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   Low Hum (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/81894-low-hum.html)

Robert Lane December 16th, 2006 03:34 PM

Low Hum

I noticed my HVX makes a very low hum when in CAMERA mode, not in VCR/Playback mode. This occurs in any mode the camera is in. I'm not talking about the initial startup noise that occurs when you turn on the camera, it's a constant, very low hum. If you switch to VCR mode the hum disappears, and comes back again when you switch back to CAM mode.

Originally I thought it to be the OIS stabilizer doing it's job, but this occurs with OIS off too.

I never heard this before - mainly because there's always been some other noise going on around me while using the camera - but the last couple of days while in the quiet of my edit suite I've heard this.

Anyone else notice it on theirs? You need to be in a quiet room to notice...

Andy Nickless December 18th, 2006 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Lane
I noticed my HVX makes a very low hum when in CAMERA mode

Same here - only I'd describe it as a worrying hum.

I haven't had time to assess the internal mic yet but I'd imagine this hum will render it pointless for serious audio.

Andy

Sam Jankis December 18th, 2006 04:12 PM

I never use the internal mic.

I tested for the hum. Turned on the camera in a quiet room. Nothing. I had to put my ear directly ON the camera to hear anything. What I heard was a midrange whine. I suspect it has something to do with the lens... because when I shut off the camera, the whine stops and the lens "clunks" free.

The lens clunking bothered me when I first got the camera. The lens is not locked down when the camera is off... so if you jiggle the camera when it's off, the internal lens mechanisms slide back and forth making a clunking sound.

Robert Lane December 19th, 2006 07:40 AM

I sent my HVX to Panny repair in LA to check things out. I'll let you know what they say about the humming.

Phillip Palacios December 20th, 2006 08:38 AM

I got my HVX on Friday and read this post.

Brought it into a quiet environment, and yes there is a hum. kind of a low frequency.

Since this is a brand new unit, and two others are experianceing the same thing, I am chalking it up as a "charecteristic" of the camera.

Robert Lane December 20th, 2006 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phillip Palacios
I got my HVX on Friday and read this post.

Brought it into a quiet environment, and yes there is a hum. kind of a low frequency.

Since this is a brand new unit, and two others are experianceing the same thing, I am chalking it up as a "charecteristic" of the camera.

Could very well be. Until a week or so ago mine was never in a quiet environment so it was the first time we could hear every little noise it makes. Since there had been no data on the 'net about it and only one other person responded with a similar experience the hum was left in question.

Panny tech support said they hadn't had any reports about a hum nor did they notice it themselves previously so either my unit is acting up a bit or, I've uncovered yet another HVX characteristic. I'll know for sure later this week when the Panny techs get back to me.

Cees Mutsaers December 20th, 2006 05:20 PM

Maybe Jan C.-L. can give her opinion if the hum is a normal characteristic of the HVX or not???

Robert Lane December 21st, 2006 01:07 AM

Jan has already mentioned that she had no information about a "hum". I'll let the forum know what the Panny techs find out.

Robert Lane December 21st, 2006 02:04 PM

It's official

According to the Panny techs in CA, the low hum is in fact a characteristic of the camera as they tested mine against others on hand. It's not easily noticeable in most environments and you won't hear it unless you're in a quiet room with HVX in CAMERA mode; when switched to VCR mode the noise goes away completely. There was no explanation as to exactly what makes this low hum; it's just one of those, "it is what it is..." things.

With respect to using the internal mics for "serious audio" capture, you could never use the internal mics on any handheld camera for serious audio work, which is one of the main reasons why most cams like the HVX come equipped with XLR inputs for external mics.

Any noise made by either the camera itself or the camera operator touching, focusing, zooming etc. is easily picked up by the internal mics; this is true of any camera with a built-in mic, not just the HVX.

Jeff Kilgroe December 21st, 2006 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Lane
According to the Panny techs in CA, the low hum is in fact a characteristic of the camera as they tested mine against others on hand. It's not easily noticeable in most environments and you won't hear it unless you're in a quiet room with HVX in CAMERA mode; when switched to VCR mode the noise goes away completely. There was no explanation as to exactly what makes this low hum; it's just one of those, "it is what it is..." things.

Robert, I have noticed the faint hum or buzz. Only once in recorded material, but when working with it in a quiet area, I can hear it a faint hum or buzz if I put my ear up close to the camera's internal speaker. Is that what you guys are experiencing or am I picking up interference from something else, and thus an unrelated issue?

Robert Lane December 21st, 2006 03:12 PM

No, actually that faint buzz is a completely different noise - and I've heard that too.

This noise seems to eminate from deep inside the body itself and is more of a low-freq hum, not that almost imperceptible hiss you can hear from the built-in speaker.

The only other sound that I can say it is similar to is that of a high-current transformer while it's handling current - that same type of low-freq, low level humming.

I don't know, it's just one of those weird things that may never get explained, but Panny says, "it's normal". 'Nuf said.