DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   HVX200 & FS-100 Combo Advice (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/82769-hvx200-fs-100-combo-advice.html)

James Gleason December 29th, 2006 09:40 PM

HVX200 & FS-100 Combo Advice

Hi all, I hope this Christmas/New Year season finds you well. I'm giving up waiting for the CinePorter (Summer is too far off for me) and I would like to hear input on those of you with FireStore FS-100 using it with the HVX.

My need is to film a 30-45min program each weekend in DVCPRO HD (1080i). Has anyone had this kind of long-form experience with the FS-100? Anything to be aware of before I purchase? I would have the camera on a tripod and the FS mounted on the HVX, so there wouldn't be any movement of the unit (a problem I've heard).

Is it easy to just have it capture as a .mov file so that there would be no need to import and endless amount of P2 files? I'll be editing this program each Monday and want a quick workflow (I've downloaded the manuals, but without the device in my hands it's a little unclear).

There are many posts about the FS-100, but none about this type of usage. Any help would be appreciated. What is your opinion on the best vendor/best price?

I'll be posting this over at DVXuser.com as well. Thank you all.

Robert Lane December 30th, 2006 12:03 AM

Hi James,

I don't own a Firestore (and don't plan to) but this forum is filled with threads about the Firestore in an HD environment on just about every camera platform out there. Use the search feature and you'll see tons of data.

I personally tested two HD versions of the Firestore (one for the Z1 and another for the HD100) and found them both glitchy, at best. Some users have reported success but most have had some issues with them. Once I migrated to P2 I never reconsidered the Firestore however, until the 16GB cards come available (which is just a few months away) long-form recording is one of the HVX's weaknesses.

Like I say, use the search feature and you'll pull up enough reading to keep you busy for a few hours.

Carl Schachter December 30th, 2006 07:19 AM

Fs-100

I just bought an FS-100 about a month ago and I havent had any problems with it what so ever. I've shot with it at the beach for some surfing documentaries and I've dropped it on a hardwood basketball floor in Miami at a Heat game I was covering. Overall, I have no complaints about the Firestore, I guess it's because I just bought a recent version

James Gleason December 30th, 2006 11:06 AM

Robert, thanks for the reply, but I've already searched these forums (and others) for the answer to my question and my particular application need hasn't been addressed. I have done hours of reading and haven't been able to get answers to my question.

I do have an 8GB P2 Card, but that won't take care of my needs. I didn't set out to do long form recording on this camera, but it's a need that I have right now. Thanks.

James Gleason December 30th, 2006 11:08 AM

Carl, thanks for your answer. It's encouraging to hear that you've had no problems. What I have heard is that either your unit works great or it has glitches. It sometimes has to do with the FW Cable or the unit itself. The firmware update has helped.

Do you import as P2? What platform? Have you run into the OSX glitch?

Jim OQuinn January 2nd, 2007 06:38 PM

Be careful with the FW ports on both the FS and the HVX. I tie wrap the cable down as to not wreck the ports (as I have done in the past).

Ben Bixby January 2nd, 2007 07:27 PM

Tie Wrap?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim OQuinn
Be careful with the FW ports on both the FS and the HVX. I tie wrap the cable down as to not wreck the ports (as I have done in the past).

What exactly do you mean by "tie wrap"?

David Saraceno January 3rd, 2007 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Bixby
What exactly do you mean by "tie wrap"?

Some people use Peavey velcro straps.