DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   Time sensitve shoot! HVX Won't power up!! HELP -- I'm overseas! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/83386-time-sensitve-shoot-hvx-wont-power-up-help-im-overseas.html)

Justin Connor January 8th, 2007 12:26 AM

Time sensitve shoot! HVX Won't power up!! HELP -- I'm overseas!

I'm in a bind y'all.

In in hong kong, heading to india -- the hvx has been working flawlesly with great footage.

BUT today it decied not to power on. we have the anton bauer elipz battery, and 2 other panasonic batteries that are charged and tested. we have a power conversion (220 to 110) that has been working great as well.

we did a time lapse shot last night which worked flawlessly and then put the camera to bed...so there weren't any issues between sleeping that we can figure out that would've caused this.

but for some reason we cannot get it to start... any ideas? would the reset button near the audio levels do the trick? we have no footage to save/protact/worry about in camera -- we were basically about to start a new shooting day today with refreshed batteries and fresh/clean P2 cards, but for some reason it decides to not power up...arrrgh.

heading to india tomm. and am stressed/concerned....

i am beyond grateful to anyone who can help within the next 12-24 hours as we are in a bind and at a loss as to what to do next...

any ideas?

thanks in advance!
justin

Martin Iverson January 8th, 2007 01:12 AM

I made a mistake when I put my HVX to bed one time and accidently left it on. Luckily, after several hours I opened the case to use it again. I found a VERY hot camera. I could barely hold it in my bare hands. If I hadn't of opened the case I'm afraid that would have been a fatal mistake for the camera. I said a prayer and after an appropriate cool down period everything checked out ok.

I sincerely hope that this is not the issue for you, but thought that I would bring it up to brain storm with you and to give others a reminder to double check the on/off switch before tucking the little guy in for the night.

Justin Connor January 8th, 2007 01:27 AM

nope

No we definitely turned it off, and were charging the battery -- that i know of.

Thanks for the note though Martin.

our time lapse last night was cold out (when the HVX was working/powered up), but not horribly cold -- so i don't think it's a condensation thing..?

one last note to all those who may be able to help (PLEASE) -- we cannot get the tape slot for mini dv tapes to open as well. just giving you as much information as I have.

my DP and I have cornered a free coffee shop internet place here and are typing away - squatting -- trying to get any help trying to stave off panic attacks.

Anyone else?

thanks again for the help,
justin

Glenn Davidson January 8th, 2007 01:33 AM

Maybe some kind of voltage spike? Have you tried dvxuser.com? Someone over there may be able to offer immediate assistance.

Justin Connor January 8th, 2007 02:08 AM

signed up -- waiting to hear back for confirmation from dvxuser.com

thanks for the help...

anyone else? we plan on calling our camera people in LA tomm. but until then are in panic mode --

j

Justin Connor January 8th, 2007 02:25 AM

signed up -- waiting to hear back for confirmation from dvxuser.com

thanks for the help...

anyone else? we plan on calling our camera people in LA tomm. but until then are in panic mode --

j

Michael MK Siu January 8th, 2007 04:11 AM

Justin,

I think you need to identify whether it is your batteries that are not functioning or the camera.

Do you have the AC power adpater (the one that connects through the charger)? Plug the charger to the wall, connect the AC adapter to the camera and see if it turns on. (The AC adapter should be 110/240, so you don't need the converter - but check~).

If the HVX comes back to life, its your batteries; if not, its likely your camera.

Also, try Panasonic HK and see if they can provide you withsome help.
2332 3723 I think this is their general number. Ask for the professional department line when you get through.

This page lists a few Pansonic servicing locations in Hong Kong: http://www.oa.hk/group/eng/salesnet_cs.html

I had contacted Panasonic HK before during the summer when shooting with a HVX200 in China (we ended up getting servicing done within China rather than HK in the end), but the technicians in HK were quite helpful.

Unfotunately, I do not remember the exact number / department / person that helped us. But anyone from Panasonic HK should be able to direct you to the right person. (Do mention you need help with the HVX200 on the phone though.)

Good luck~

MK

Justin Connor January 8th, 2007 06:15 AM

thanks so much...

i appreciate your help Michael.

still trying to find someone here who can help me get another hvx -- planned on buying one later in the year anyways -- just sucks that the camera pooped out.

to those who have a anton bauer elipz battery -- beware -- i think that did something internally to the camera -- and now we can't get it to power up...unsure though.

if you have any more leads/savvy in terms of finding a HK place with an HVX -- i would be appreciative -- trying to find one through someone who speaks the language here -- flying to india in 24 hours, soit's kinda hairy.

thanks again for your help! tried those numbers and may have a lead on one of them.

cheers and be well,
justin

Bob Grant January 8th, 2007 06:24 AM

If you've tried the obvious:

1) Different battery.
2) Any reset device on the camera, push it, what's to loose.

Then given that the transport will not operate at all then unfortunately my best guess based on a similar thing happening with a Sony camera is it's the main fuse in the power distribution circuit. Replacing that means opening the camera and soldering in a new fuse. It's most likely a picofuse kind of thing so something you'd have to get from Panasonic.

If you're lucky the fuse just failed, hopefully nothing failed that caused the fuse to blow.

Good luck, I imagine this is rather trying.

Justin Connor January 8th, 2007 07:30 AM

thanks bob...

yeah, it looks like it may be something internal/fried.

sucks.

thanks for the help and kind words...

lost in translation in hong kong/india.

arrgh.

j

Robert Lane January 8th, 2007 12:25 PM

Justin,

When you're able, give us the post-mortem report on what died in your HVX so we can all learn what went wrong, if it was the Anton battery or something else.

Andrew Hoffman January 8th, 2007 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin Connor
yeah, it looks like it may be something internal/fried.

sucks.

thanks for the help and kind words...

lost in translation in hong kong/india.

arrgh.

j

Hello Justin,

I believe it's a fuse that has blown internally. We have had similar problems at our shop with the DVX100 cameras. We haven't seen any power issues with the HVX's though, so it may be something with the Anton Bauer stuff.

Best regards,

Andrew Hoffman
Senior Operations Manager
Specialized Communications Corp.
20940 Twin Springs Dr.
Smithsburg, MD 21783-1510 USA
800-359-1858
301-790-0103
Fax: 301-790-0173
andrewh@spec-comm.com
www.spec-comm.com

Please visit our new online store at ( http://www.spec-comm.com/store ). New products being added daily!